PDA

View Full Version : Help and Opinions Needed

tcrummitt87
12-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Hey guys! I was detailing a 2013 Ford Focus today that has 4,500 miles and was purchased new back in September. It seemed to have what I first thought were a significant amount of chips, then I found what I believe is a fisheye. When I took a longer look at the "chips" I noticed that several of them seemed to have raised edges like a bubble, just like the fisheye photo. I guess my question is what do you guys think is going on and what should be done?

PS: put one photo of the side of the car when I was done, used a foam pad and griot's garage polish 4 to make the metallic pop.

Coach Steve
12-19-2013, 03:27 AM
The car has acne. Just put some Clearasil on a polishing pad and let your DA massage it in. It'll probably take 3-4 days to see any real results. :p

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Honestly, I have no idea what that's from but I'm sure someone here will know and have some advice for you.

tcrummitt87
12-19-2013, 09:31 AM
hahaha thanks! the first time I read your response I assumed you meant "clearseal" and it was some strange product I hadn't heard about lol

tcrummitt87
12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm interested to see what Mike has to say about this.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Did you notice these before you starting polishing or after?

Did you clay? It's hard to really tell from the photos what is going on.

tcrummitt87
12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Did you notice these before you starting polishing or after?

Did you clay? It's hard to really tell from the photos what is going on.

these were in the paint before I did anything. It was washed with meguiar's hyper wash and clayed after. the photos were taken after polishing

MDX Detailing
12-19-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm looking on my phone, but it looks to me like dirt in the base coat, fish eyes wouldn't leave such large shadows. I've worked in body shops and dealers. I'm frequently amazed at the stuff that comes brand new into a dealership with hair, dirt, runs, straight from the factory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using AG Online

Coach Steve
12-20-2013, 02:44 AM
hahaha thanks! the first time I read your response I assumed you meant "clearseal" and it was some strange product I hadn't heard about lol
Hmmmmm.... ClearSeal.... I might just have to copyright that name and hang on to it. seems like it should be the name of a product associated with our line of work! :p

Pureshine
12-20-2013, 03:06 AM
I would tell to owner to take back to dealer and have them deal with it. The car should still be under warranty. I wouldn't do anything to it at all you my void the warranty.

Dellinger
12-20-2013, 03:54 AM
I had to look at the photos a quite a few times... the spots/ specs appear really small.

First picture... it appears something is below the base coat in the primer/ sealer. As the base color is protruding up and around whatever is below. (Doesn't look like a 'fish eye'.)

From my perspective, 'nothing' short of a re-spray/ blend (hate that noun)/ touch up will help this... you can't level the defect in the first photo, safely, in order to render the panel "perfect".

3rd photo looks like it is in the base coat, as some kind of black pigment is shining through, or appears dark... again, IMO a painter required for this to go away. If going about it properly... that small 'spec' could turn into a large diameter when sanding.

tcrummitt87
12-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I hadn't planned on doing anything myself but was just trying to get a sense of what probably happened/caused the problem. They all seem to be located on the roof and passenger side of the car. I assume that the metal wasn't prepped correctly before painting and caused these.

Mike Phillips
12-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Hey guys! I was detailing a 2013 Ford Focus today that has 4,500 miles and was purchased new back in September. It seemed to have what I first thought were a significant amount of chips, then I found what I believe is a fisheye. When I took a longer look at the "chips" I noticed that several of them seemed to have raised edges like a bubble, just like the fisheye photo. I guess my question is what do you guys think is going on and what should be done?

PS: put one photo of the side of the car when I was done, used a foam pad and griot's garage polish 4 to make the metallic pop.

Something's not right.

This is either a respray or a factory problem.

Looks like the paint is bubbling or blistering up or outward and this is usually caused by rust.

The other options would be DIP or Dirt in Paint or the paint gun was spitting?

Like others said, tell your customer to take it back to the dealership. Even share the link to this thread with them.

:)

Rival
12-27-2013, 01:12 PM
x2x...

thats not a fish eye......thats something under the paint

leave it as is, let the dealer deal with it....which they most likely wont be able to. lol