PDA

View Full Version : New guy realizing small mistakes

Pages : [1] 2 3

staat.t
12-18-2013, 09:55 PM
After lurking around AG for the last month or so it's amazing to see how many "little" mistakes you make before learning the ways of the Full-timers. When I hear people talk about how they wash and wax their car I cringe when I hear or see them use the same brush they just threw onto the ground, or using one bucket wash. The picture below was taken this summer before I really got into detailing. As you can see below I carelessly put my MF on the grass, in my head it seemed like a reasonable place to place em, after coming onto AG its a typical rookie mistake.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2iw7jpi.jpg

Sicoupe
12-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey, we have all been there, including myself:) I thought I knew it all about detailing before I came here, wow was I totally wrong, after reading and watching these pro's on here, I have learned a ton! Thanks to all of the members who have really taught me the art of detailing:)

Pureshine
12-18-2013, 10:49 PM
There are a lot of good people here and are willing to help you can give me a call anytime if you have any questions.

Evan.J
12-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Everyone starts somewhere and the best thing it you realize the mistakes and are willing to change them.

We are all learning all the time thats what is great about the detailing world, its ever changing and advancing.

SonyHome
12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
I can't believe you guys put this much effort/thought in washing, polishing and waxing cars! :p

I better stop reading this stuff because since I started I've spent over $500 and I probably can't even do anything until spring time anyways being temps are below or near zero in MN! ;)

My wife it going to think I decided to start a detailing business or something. LOL! :D

I appreciate the information this site provides and hopefully it will help me take better care of my new car that is soon arriving. I intend to give it to my son or daughter in same or better cosmetic condition as new with help of this site in ~ 8 years from now! :props:

staat.t
12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I better stop reading this stuff because since I started I've spent over $500 and I probably can't even do anything until spring time anyways being temps are below or near zero in MN! ;)

My wife it going to think I decided to start a detailing business or something. LOL! :D

You better believe it, I've been buying detailing stuff rather than buying car mods for my Charger, yet i cannot start detailing until spring also because there is no point. It does become addicting!

HateSwirls
12-20-2013, 01:32 PM
At least you realize your mistakes, some don't.
I made my share of mistakes over the last 30 years so don't feel bad :)

My neighbor uses a brush to wash his truck, seldom do I see him dip it back into his soap bucket.
I spoke with him a couple of times but he continues to have bad washing habits.

You'll be surprised at how much you will learn here.
Happy reading:)

JKL1031
12-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I can't believe you guys put this much effort/thought in washing, polishing and waxing cars! :p

I appreciate the information this site provides and hopefully it will help me take better care of my new car that is soon arriving. I intend to give it to my son or daughter in same or better cosmetic condition as new with help of this site in ~ 8 years from now! :props:

This.

If I didnt have a black car, I would have never been here. You will even find yourself judging other peoples finishes.

miniSguy
12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
This.

You will even find yourself judging other peoples finishes.

True! I'm ruined. I can't even drive down the road without evaluating EVERY car I see. How can those people be happy with all those swirls?!? And the car shows on TV aren't much better. Don't they realize??? Wow. I've turned in to a real snob!

Thanks Autogeek!

HateSwirls
12-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I have a bad habit in telling people how to manage their on cars. Lol
They are like who are you. Lol
Can't help myself when I see a new car loaded with swirls.

True! I'm ruined. I can't even drive down the road without evaluating EVERY car I see. How can those people be happy with all those swirls?!? And the car shows on TV aren't much better. Don't they realize??? Wow. I've turned in to a real snob!

Thanks Autogeek!

Jaretr1
12-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I think those of us who are really into detailing might be a little OCD. I have always been anal about keeping my cars looking as good as I knew how. It was not until I found this site a few years ago that I learned that I did not know much. Yes, it becomes addicting and I have spend $1000's on products here and elsewhere (I am not a professional) but it is something we are passionate about and enjoy.

I have learned that for much of the time, like most anything else, you get what you pay for. Over the counter products are for the most part, average at best. And lastly, the higher end more expensive products turn out to be not as expensive, and often less expensive than the "cheap" products because they take less to apply, last longer, are more concentrated, or all of the above :)

I cringe at some of the things I used to do and some of the things I see my friends do now. In fact, I gave a friend some quick detailer when he was using water and a microfiber to wipe his new camaro down :)

Kacz
12-20-2013, 02:41 PM
I have a bad habit in telling people how to manage their on cars. Lol
They are like who are you. Lol
Can't help myself when I see a new car loaded with swirls.

I would have never guessed that you disliked swirls...*looks at username*...oh wait :D

We've all had some bad habits.

I think it's hilarious that you found an older picture and questioned yourself on why you did that. Too funny.

Makes me want to go through all my past car washing pictures.

miniSguy
12-20-2013, 02:43 PM
I think those of us who are really into detailing might be a little OCD
Agree!

And lastly, the higher end more expensive products turn out to be not as expensive, and often less expensive than the "cheap" products because they take less to apply, last longer, are more concentrated, or all of the above :)
:iagree:True, very true.

chrislorl
12-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Haha, From one Charger owner to another. I completely understand. About 2 mins ago my GF walked by and said "did you buy more stuff for cleaning your car?" I need AG to start shipping in plain un-marked boxes....
As for mistakes, I now cringe at how I used to think I was doing the right thing. Mike and the guys have really given me an education on Car Care, Restoration, and Detailing.

bsmith0404
12-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Learning how to properly detail was the biggest mistake I ever made. I used to love going to local car shows and looking at all of the nice old muscle cars and hot rods people bring out...even the Friday night grocery store parking lot gathering was a weekly treat. Now I walk around and look at all of the bad paint. WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?!?!?!