PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleanser Needed?

Pages : [1] 2

FrankS
12-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I realize that after polishing a car, before you apply a coating to the paint, that some type of cleansing polish should be used to clean the paint of any silicones, fillers, polymers, polishing oils, etc. so that there is proper bonding between the paint and the coating.

How about if you are going to apply a wax or sealant as your LSP?

The sealant I have used most often is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and it seems to hold up fairly good with out applying a paint cleanser after my polishing step.

Would applying a paint cleanser before waxing or sealing give it more durability or perhaps it wouldn't make much of a difference?

Just interested in getting some feedback to see if you like to use some type of paint cleanser, after you have already polished, before applying a wax or sealant and if so, what do you prefer to use?

WillWashesCars
12-18-2013, 08:53 PM
I always perform an IPA wipedown, usually 90% but many times diluted to be careful. And also I prefer to use Optimum Primer that comes with Opti-Coat Pro when prepping for a coating. It leaves a totally dry and oil free surface and also performs a slight bit of correction.

But for sealants, I would assume that an IPA wipedown will help or some sort of paint cleanser but it might not make as huge of a difference as it would with a coating. Dodojuice Lime Prime was a big trend a while back and it functions as a fantastic paint prep.

mwoolfso
12-18-2013, 08:57 PM
If I am not correcting the paint I will maintain the paint with a pre-wax cleaner. From my experience it does make a difference and increases the durability of your LSP.

jankerson
12-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I realize that after polishing a car, before you apply a coating to the paint, that some type of cleansing polish should be used to clean the paint of any silicones, fillers, polymers, polishing oils, etc. so that there is proper bonding between the paint and the coating.

The sealant I have used most often is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and it seems to hold up fairly good with out applying a paint cleanser after my polishing step.

Would applying a paint cleanser before waxing or sealing give it more durability or perhaps it wouldn't make much of a difference?

Just interested in getting some feedback to see if you like to use some type of paint cleanser, after you have already polished, before applying a wax or sealant and if so, what do you prefer to use?

Depends on the Polish, and if the one used is body shop safe or not, I wouldn't stress on it all that much really. If it's body shop safe Like M205 I would just wax or seal right over it and not worry about it.

Just get some Megs M34 Finial Inspection and wipe it down with that before Waxing or sealing... If you are worried at all.

The polish will clean the paint while polishing it so it does do both.

If you polish then a paint cleaner isn't needed.

I use M205 and have never had a problem with wax or sealants bonding to it.... But then it's body shop safe and does leave a paintable surface so if paint will bond to it then a Wax or Sealant sure will.

swanicyouth
12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Wax or sealant? Forget about it. Waste of time and energy. Also another step you could scratch the paint. You could do a quick wipe with Griots Pre-Wax Cleaner or Eraser - but, still likely a waste of time.

jankerson
12-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Wax or sealant? Forget about it. Waste of time and energy. Also another step you could scratch the paint. You could do a quick wipe with Griots Pre-Wax Cleaner or Eraser - but, still likely a waste of time.

LOL :D

People worry too much about nothing I think. :)

I am like just put on the LSP and go... Too much thinking and not enough waxing IMO.

FUNX650
12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
I realize that after polishing a car, before you apply a coating to the paint, that
some type of cleansing polish should be used to clean the paint of any silicones, fillers, polymers, polishing oils, etc.
so that there is proper bonding between the paint and the coating.
^^^Not always true^^^...

Ex: If you use Optimum's recommended polishes, then a wipe-down with either damp
microfiber towel(s), or ONR, will suffice before applying Opti-Coat 2.0/Opti-Pro.

^^^I don't apply paint cleansers...
But some say it's best to go by manufacturers' recommendations.^^^

Just interested in getting some feedback to see if you like to use some type of paint cleanser,
after you have already polished, before applying a wax or sealant
and if so, what do you prefer to use?
I don't buy/use products labeled as:
"paint cleaners/pre-wax cleaners"...I can't buy into what I'll allege is pure hype.

I use polishes "to clean".
That, however, may be deemed a rarity.

:)

Bob

TundraPower
12-18-2013, 09:48 PM
I am a huge fan of Lusso Paint Cleaner :)

FrankS
12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys for the good feedback.

Just02896
12-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Most of the time I'll do a wipe down with Menz TI after polishing and before applying an lsp. If I've done an extensive correction involving 2 or more steps I'll give a final bath with CG citrus wash and clear to remove all traces of compound and polish from all the nooks and crannies.

Typically if you've polished, you've already decon'd the paint by washing, iron x-ing, and claying. The polishing just perfects the surface and works up the gloss. Collectively, these steps ARE the "pre-cleaner".

I've only ever used paint cleansers to prep flawless paint for LSP. This pretty much pertains only to cars that are not driven, show cars, etc.

FrankS
12-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks "Just" for the feedback.

mbkite
12-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Poor boys pro polish
Try the sample size it's plenty for 1 car
It's the best cleaner I have seen.

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Here's one of the more challenging articles I've written... check it out...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

Sheldon explaining Quantum Physics to Penny on the Big Bang Theory
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/molculesbonding.jpg

I especially always enjoy the quote from Tom aka Mosca...

(I forgot I wrote this article till I did a search for the word miscible)

:dblthumb2:

FrankS
12-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Mike for the informative article. :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mike for the informative article. :dblthumb2:

Thank you...

Kind of a deep article too for the thinking detailer.

:laughing: