PDA

View Full Version : Which Lake Country pad to use with Optimum Hyper Polish?

Pages : [1] 2

SonyHome
12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Is Optimum Hyper Polish water based product? I'm trying to determine which Lake Country polishing pads to get and noticed they have Hydro-Tech pads for water based products. Otherwise I was thinking of buying the flat 5.5" pads.

Also I noticed they have 3 different polishing pads for flat 5.5", white, black and blue. Do I need all 3 of these for polishing brand new car, black Lexus IS350.

Thank you.

Just02896
12-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Is Optimum Hyper Polish water based product? I'm trying to determine which Lake Country polishing pads to get and noticed they have Hydro-Tech pads for water based products. Otherwise I was thinking of buying the flat 5.5" pads.

Also I noticed they have 3 different polishing pads for flat 5.5", white, black and blue. Do I need all 3 of these for polishing brand new car, black Lexus IS350.

Thank you.

Stick with a white pad! I find that they are quick to let you know when a quick pad clean is needed. Also, you can NEVER have too many pads! Sometimes, you will need to test with 3 or 4 pads to find the right one for the paint or defect you are trying to correct.

TundraPower
12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Lexus black (obsidian black) is very soft. Are you trying to get the finish "perfect"? If so you really need a correcting pad, a finishing pad, a correcting polish, and a finishing polish.

a g thang
12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
It really depends when you start working with the paint, I've done a few Lexuses with the same black, and yes it tends to be soft but one time I got away finishing with a lc white pad, another time I had to go down to a lc black to get it looking right! Are you just doing a one step with hyper polish?

Sent from Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)rex

SonyHome
12-18-2013, 11:30 PM
It really depends when you start working with the paint, I've done a few Lexuses with the same black, and yes it tends to be soft but one time I got away finishing with a lc white pad, another time I had to go down to a lc black to get it looking right! Are you just doing a one step with hyper polish?

Yes. My car is being delivered with protection film on it from factory and dealer isn't going to touch the paint other than to do touch-less wash and air dry few times per my request prior to my pickup. I'm hoping it will not need any type of correcting. I would like to hand wash, clary and put Hyper Polish and then apply Opti-Coat 2.0. Couple weeks later it will get Suntek self healing paint protection film so I want to make sure everything is looking good and opti coated.

Along with Lake Country pads also received advice to get Griots Garage Random Orbital Polish. I'm thinking of getting Hydro-Tech and Flat pads to see if either will work better with Hyper Polish. Please let me know if you have any experience with these pads and polish.

Also considering buying Opti Lens which is pretty pricey @ $60. Hopefully all these will work as advertised if not they will only get my business once. :(

a g thang
12-19-2013, 12:07 AM
I use both regular flat pads and hydro tech pads, I stick with the regular ones more. the hydro aren't as reliable even when properly taken care off they just seem to fall apart and not last as long as the flat pads. Lc ranks them more aggressive on their chart.
Instead of opti lens just use opti coat on the lights also.

SonyHome
12-19-2013, 12:12 AM
I use both regular flat pads and hydro tech pads, I stick with the regular ones more. the hydro aren't as reliable even when properly taken care off they just seem to fall apart and not last as long as the flat pads. Lc ranks them more aggressive on their chart.
Instead of opti lens just use opti coat on the lights also.

Where do you find the LC chart and is there good indication when to use certain pads? For a person starting out I think that will be the hardest to determine. I'm going to use the OC for windshield and windows but based on what I read about OL it provides extra UV protection for the life of the lens which is the source of yellowing. That is the only reason I'm buying OL.

a g thang
12-19-2013, 01:24 AM
This was the best one I could find it shows the ccs pads vs Meg's pads but the same would apply to the flat pads also

a g thang
12-19-2013, 01:36 AM
and is there good indication when to use certain pads? For a person starting out I think that will be the hardest to determine..

Opps missed this. I like to start with the least aggressive method first and then work my way up if I need to depending on the results. When I first started you just gotta mess around and practice with all the pads, different speeds, pressure, and passes.

Radarryan
12-19-2013, 02:04 AM
I really prefer the HydroTech pads, at least against CCS pads. I know that some have durability issues, but from what I've heard (I don't do too much so I can't really comment) most of those issues have been worked out.

I know one thing, though. If you have soft paint (I have just about the softest known - the "dreaded" soft Porsche black paint, PBP) and the only way to get it perfect prior to coating was Menzerna SF4500 and a HydroTech Crimson pad. I think that this combo is widely believed to be the best finishing application for soft paint. Let's put it this way, a grey pad with Optimum Finish marred the paint - so I'm talking about super soft.

I don't think you can go wrong with either HT or flat pads. My only advice would be stay away from the CCS pads (even though some may say these pads are good for SMAT polishes, I just didn't enjoy working with them - but to each his own.)

SonyHome
12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
I really prefer the HydroTech pads, at least against CCS pads. I know that some have durability issues, but from what I've heard (I don't do too much so I can't really comment) most of those issues have been worked out.

I know one thing, though. If you have soft paint (I have just about the softest known - the "dreaded" soft Porsche black paint, PBP) and the only way to get it perfect prior to coating was Menzerna SF4500 and a HydroTech Crimson pad. I think that this combo is widely believed to be the best finishing application for soft paint. Let's put it this way, a grey pad with Optimum Finish marred the paint - so I'm talking about super soft.

I don't think you can go wrong with either HT or flat pads. My only advice would be stay away from the CCS pads (even though some may say these pads are good for SMAT polishes, I just didn't enjoy working with them - but to each his own.)

Others on Lexus forum stated black is very soft. Thanks for the advice. I purchased flat and hydro-tech only to try with Optimum hyper polish. I'll start with crimson hydro-tech pad to see how it looks.

SonyHome
12-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Opps missed this. I like to start with the least aggressive method first and then work my way up if I need to depending on the results. When I first started you just gotta mess around and practice with all the pads, different speeds, pressure, and passes.

I'll try crimson hydro pad and hyper finish to start. Thanks.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-19-2013, 08:10 AM
HT pads do very well with water based polishes!

SonyHome
12-19-2013, 08:13 AM
HT pads do very well with water based polishes!

Can you confirm if Optimum hyper polish is water based? It looks like it is liquid form that you spray on the pad.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Can you confirm if Optimum hyper polish is water based? It looks like it is liquid form that you spray on the pad.
I've used Hyper Polish, but not sure if it's water based. I'll find out for you.