PDA

View Full Version : need advise on complete detail of dd

roth79
12-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I am getting ready after lots of shopping again on AG in the last 3 weeks (Im broke) to detail a 2012 GMC pickup with bak flip topper next week.

Here is my question, it was sealed with Wolfs 3.0 and coated with collinite in December last year and detailed inside and out. I touch it up and clean it regularly, It is a outside kept truck and daily driver however its hand washed double bucket method by me only and kept pretty clean. I am in Florida. I want to detail it front to back next week including clay and WG paintworks polish again with my Megs da with white pad. I read somewhere here that I should add some dawn dish soap to help strip it and then I read or add some Megs APC or Megs APC plus which I have both in the garage in with the auto bathe shampoo when I do the first was before claying and polishing? So how much would I add. The topper is vinyl and I did buy some 303 aerospace protectant so the topper will be cleaned and sealed also.

Is that good advise with the apc or dawn and if so how much would I add to the soap bucket if at all? All of the trim and chrome will be redone so I'm not worried about stripping it completely.

thanks for any advise as always.

Roth

Just02896
12-18-2013, 07:04 PM
I am getting ready after lots of shopping again on AG in the last 3 weeks (Im broke) to detail a 2012 GMC pickup with bak flip topper next week.

Here is my question, it was sealed with Wolfs 3.0 and coated with collinite in December last year and detailed inside and out. I touch it up and clean it regularly, It is a outside kept truck and daily driver however its hand washed double bucket method by me only and kept pretty clean. I am in Florida. I want to detail it front to back next week including clay and WG paintworks polish again with my Megs da with white pad. I read somewhere here that I should add some dawn dish soap to help strip it and then I read or add some Megs APC or Megs APC plus which I have both in the garage in with the auto bathe shampoo when I do the first was before claying and polishing? So how much would I add. The topper is vinyl and I did buy some 303 aerospace protectant so the topper will be cleaned and sealed also.

Is that good advise with the apc or dawn and if so how much would I add to the soap bucket if at all? All of the trim and chrome will be redone so I'm not worried about stripping it completely.

Roth

Dawn will strip the wax but I highly doubt it will remove the WG sealant. I use CG citrus wash and clear with some OPC mixed in before claying and starting a correction or applying a new coat of protectant.

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 07:17 AM
I read somewhere here that I should add some dawn dish soap to help strip it

Roth

Roth,

Are you planning on doing any machine polishing after washing?

:)

jankerson
12-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Roth

If you are going to polish it again using the WG Polish then NO you don't need to strip anything as the Polish will strip it down for you. :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 09:38 AM
If you are going to polish it again using the WG Polish then NO you don't need to strip anything as the Polish will strip it down for you. :xyxthumbs:

That was where I was going... I missed the part about,

I want to detail it front to back next week including clay and WG paintworks polish again with my Megs da with white pad.

While the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html) is non-abrasive it does provide chemical cleaning ability and together with a polishing pad on a machine that provides a consistent oscillation action without tiring, (unlike your hand), there should be enough cleaning effect to remover whatever is left of what was previously applied. At least better than a detergent wash.

If it were me and I was going to invest the time into completely machine polishing paint I would use a fine cut polish like the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and that way you really do remove any fine swirls and scratches.

roth79
12-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks all, so I can do the WG finishing glaze and I don't need to use the WG polish enhancer at all? Just polishing glaze white pad and seal and coat with a wax? Now the rest of the vehicle, chrome, trim topper, to strip off all of the old coatings do I just use a good wash, I use the mgs gold and add a little APC or should I purchase today some OPC to mix in the wash to strip or the cg citrus wash?

Thanks all again for the advise.

roth79
12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Mike I was ready to go this weekend, so I need to get the Finishing glaze from AG today and then just seal it or paintworks after that, sorry if its a stupid question? If I'm polishing that's fine juts didn't plan on it but that makes sense.

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks all, so I can do the WG finishing glaze and I don't need to use the WG polish enhancer at all?

Correct.

After the finishing glaze the WG Polish Enhancer won't increase the quality results created by the FG and the step would be redundant.

In the context of using a "paint cleaner" or "pre-wax cleaner" along with any type of "real" polish, it's an either/or situation. You would either use the paint cleaner or the polish but not both.

I rarely ever use a paint cleaner because for the same amount of time, trouble, energy I can get better results using a polish, be it a,

Medium Cut Polish
Fine Cut Polish
Ultra Fine Cut Polish

And using a true polish will remove fine imperfections that the eye cannot detect making the paint more perfect while a paint cleaner will clean the surface but it won't remove any imperfections.

Make sense?

Just polishing glaze white pad and seal and coat with a wax?

Yes.

Now the rest of the vehicle, chrome, trim topper, to strip off all of the old coatings do I just use a good wash, I use the mgs gold and add a little APC or should I purchase today some OPC to mix in the wash to strip or the cg citrus wash?

Thanks all again for the advise.

Removing coatings is an unknown science, at least the idea of doing it carefully or non-evasively.

After washing really well, maybe just re-apply whatever coating you previously used or prep the surface first and the re-apply the coating?

Guess it depends on the coating as to which prep work you need to do...

Mike I was ready to go this weekend, so I need to get the Finishing glaze from AG today and then just seal it or paintworks after that, sorry if its a stupid question? If I'm polishing that's fine juts didn't plan on it but that makes sense.

It's an either/or situation.

Either use the paint cleaner and then go to wax

Or use a polish and then go to wax

You don't need to do both and doing both would be redundant. You'll get better overall results using a high quality fine cut polish like the WG Finishing Glaze versus just a paint cleaner.

roth79
12-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Mike I will buy some WG finishing today and I assume I can use the 5-1/2 white pads with that and not a black or blue? Thanks again Mike

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Mike I will buy some WG finishing today and I assume I can use the 5-1/2 white pads with that and not a black or blue? Thanks again Mike

You an use either/or :D

You would use the white pad if you want more correction ability or to remove your previously applied waxes and sealants.

You would use the black finishing pad for less cut and to remove any previously applied waxes and sealants.

The Wolfgang FG is a fine cut polish and it's common to use it with a soft foam finishing pad for shallow defects. Here's the point, if it will remove defects, that means it's removing a little paint, then it's certainly going to obliterate any previously applied car wax or synthetic paint sealant. Not sure it would be enough to obliterate a paint coating but that's where you could choose the white polishing pad or a more aggressive polish.

The goal is to get the job done, get the best results and use the least aggressive product to get the job done.

Product doesn't always mean the liquids, it can also mean the pad, the technique and the tool.

I'd try the WG FG with the black finishing pad if you're trying to remove a wax or sealant.

Also, for lurkers into the future, see this thread,

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

Mike Phillips
12-27-2013, 12:26 PM

Update?

Did you get to this project? If so... how did it turn out?

roth79
12-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Yes sir and it looks great mike thanks, I polished to glass! Sealed it with wf wfgps yesterday and one coat of fusion today. I do have one question mike. I spotted a few little scratches after sealing that will drive me nuts, can I go back and spot it by taping that scratch off and using a more abrasive pad and product just on that one spot?

Thanks again

aim4squirrels
12-29-2013, 11:32 PM
If you tape it off, you might get a tape line in the clear coat if you run the buffer right up to the tape edge. I'd just buff out the scratches without taping anything but trim and edges, polish, and then reapply the LSP.

Mike Phillips
12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Yes sir and it looks great mike thanks, I polished to glass! Sealed it with wf wfgps yesterday and one coat of fusion today.

Good to hear, thank you for the follow-up...

I do have one question mike. I spotted a few little scratches after sealing that will drive me nuts, can I go back and spot it by taping that scratch off and using a more abrasive pad and product just on that one spot?

Thanks again

I probably wouldn't take anything off unless you're working next to or close to plastic or rubber trim. (hate that stuff).

This is where smaller pads come in real handy but you can do it with a larger pad.

These defects are called RIDS or Random Isolated Deeper Scratches and I explain them and what it means to remove them in this article.

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html)

:dblthumb2: