PDA

View Full Version : Review: Rupes Bigfoot LHR21ES

The Critic
12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Hey guys,

I have now owned my Rupes 21 for about two months.

Here are my thoughts on the product so far:

- The NVH is best-in-class, period.

- The 21mm throw provides a significant amount of cut and is an absolute champ with MF pads. However, be careful, as Meg did not design the MF pads to be used with a DA with this much power.

- The Rupes 7" pads are too big/thick for this polisher. As a result, the polisher stalls too easily on curved panels.

- IMO, the 21 works best with the 5" backing plate and standard 5.5" pads. The thinner the pad, the better. While the 5.5" pads do not completely eliminate the stalling issue, it is a significant improvement over the bulky 7" Rupes pads.

- This machine does finish a bit better than the Flex 3401. Light cutting pad + finishing polish can yield significant defect removal and still finish out great on soft paints.

- If you are only going to use the 5.5" pad, you may want to consider the Rupes 15. While the Rupes 15 has 30% less throw, it is a bit smoother on 5.5" pads and provides similar correction for a lot less money.

- It takes longer to break down certain polishes, at least compared to the Flex 3401. For instance, I have noticed that Sonax Perfect Finish takes noticeably longer to break down on the Rupes compared to the Flex.

While I definitely would not want the Rupes 21 as my only polisher, it definitely has a place in any detailer’s tool chest.

Please discuss and feel free to share your experience and/or offer your feedback.

Thanks!

Bunky
12-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Is your technique any different between the Rupes and Flex.

I have the Rupes 15 along with the Flex and although I have not it that much I find the machines need different techniques (pad pressure, etc) to get best results. From what I have learned what you do the last couple of passes makes the difference in finish between looks nice but not great and very nice gloss solely by technique using the same machine.

mbkite
12-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the review I just ordered a 21 and am looking to have some fun..

Gen9Rolla
12-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice review and my Rupes 21 has been waiting for me for about two weeks but I can't have it until Christmas :(

LilJayV10
12-19-2013, 03:01 AM
If you want to improve the ability of the Rupes do the Kevin Brown Washer Mod. Kevin claims up to 40% improvement. I bought my Rupes from KB w/ the washer mod and have never used it without it.

I will say using the Rupes w/ the MF pads w/ something like M100, M101 and ESPECIALLY FG400 be cautious of the heat it generates. I tape a lot more than I did when I used my PC7424XP. I'm confident the above listed combination will burn down to primer with no problem and would destroy a hard body line or edge.

I mainly use the MF finishing disc's on the Rupes. The cutting disc's create A LOT of heat quickly. I don't know why it's so much worse with the FG400. I'm going to assume the way the abrasives are breaking down.

The Critic
12-19-2013, 03:13 AM
If you want to improve the ability of the Rupes do the Kevin Brown Washer Mod. Kevin claims up to 40% improvement. I bought my Rupes from KB w/ the washer mod and have never used it without it.

I will say using the Rupes w/ the MF pads w/ something like M100, M101 and ESPECIALLY FG400 be cautious of the heat it generates. I tape a lot more than I did when I used my PC7424XP. I'm confident the above listed combination will burn down to primer with no problem and would destroy a hard body line or edge.

I mainly use the MF finishing disc's on the Rupes. The cutting disc's create A LOT of heat quickly. I don't know why it's so much worse with the FG400. I'm going to assume the way the abrasives are breaking down.

I do have the washer mod on mine.

Yeah, I know of someone who burned through using M101 and a MF disc. Meguiars did not intend for their MF discs to be used with such a powerful machine.

I too, find that the MF Finishing Discs are perfectly sufficient for most moderate defect removal. In fact, so much to a point where they cannot finish down haze-free on softer/dark paints.

parttimer
12-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Which MF pads are you using on the Rupes? I have Megs and ordered some BnS pads. I have used the Megs and didn't notice much of a problem. I just ordered the 5.5" bp for it and I will leave the 6.5" pads to my flex.

mbkite
12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Can I ask.. For those of you that have a rupes 21 and have put a 15 backing plate on it.. How dose it work

Christopher.Brown
12-19-2013, 08:14 PM
I tape a lot more than I did when I used my PC7424XP. I'm confident the above listed combination will burn down to primer with no problem and would destroy a hard body line or edge.

Make sure yore careful not to buff over the tape.. it will leave lines and marks through the tape

LilJayV10
12-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Can I ask.. For those of you that have a rupes 21 and have put a 15 backing plate on it.. How dose it work

Do you mean a 5.5 backing plate on the 21? If so it works great. With the 21mm throw sometimes the larger pad won't fit in some spots. The 5.5 is a good compromise.

Make sure yore careful not to buff over the tape.. it will leave lines and marks through the tape

Quoted for truth. I don't do 50/50 shots anymore when using the Rupes and MF pads.