PDA

View Full Version : Flex or Rupes

HUMP DIESEL
12-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Someone point me toward an article where these two machines have been compared head to head.

HUMP

The Critic
12-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I own both machines and just posted a review. This may help you:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/74439-review-rupes-bigfoot-lhr21es.html#post1010643

VISITOR
12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
if you want versatility (use of a variety of pads and forced rotation) then go with the flex. IMO the flex's quality control and build is a little better and one small example is the trigger lock on both, the flex is easier to engage. also, if you encounter problems with the flex they have a repair facility here in the states. overall, it's been a proven workhorse...

arisking
12-19-2013, 03:38 AM
I have both. I wouldn't say jumping into either one is wise for a beginner but if upgrading from a PC the Rupes will be easier to learn on. But if you really are confident in yourself, get the Flex.

I LOVE both machines but I would say jump for the Flex 3401, the forced rotation is a really nice feature, just takes some getting used to. Ha. But the quality of the Flex is a little better, especially the rubber cord, no tangles.

In the end though read reviews, watch videos and decide. If it's your first polisher, PC 7424XP highly recommended, I also own that one as well, haha.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-19-2013, 06:37 AM
This biggest question you have to ask yourself is whether you would prefer another traditional da with a larger stroke or a hybrid DA that is gear driven and wont stop rotating no matter how much weight is brought upon it.

Of course my views are different than others.

rwisejr
12-19-2013, 07:41 AM
I own Both and each has their place. My personal preference I tend to favor the Rupes. But like I said thats just me.

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Someone point me toward an article where these two machines have been compared head to head.

HUMP

Sure.... I can point you to a thread this does exactly this and the comparison was done by one of our forum members.

He sent me a PM, said he was going to be in our area, asked if he could stop by to check out Autogeek, I said heck yeah! Told me he's like to compare the Rupes to the Flex, so I set him up to do the full meal deal.

Then captured the entire process with pictures. Even brought in a really cool "car" for him to work on.

Rupes 21 & Flex 3401 Comparison + Detailer's Paint Coating (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/68134-rupes-21-flex-3401-comparison-detailer-s-paint-coating.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1970/1932_Ford_Phaeton_040.jpg

Now this is just his opinion but he did test both tools in their optimized condition.

There's actually a great discussion throughout the entire thread that is worthy of reading, not just scanning.

Both tools, side by side, doing the same process on opposite sides of the same hood with paint in the same condition.

Rupes!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1970/1932_Ford_Phaeton_079.jpg

Flex!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1970/1932_Ford_Phaeton_090.jpg

This is actually the only thread of this kind that I've ever seen in the forum world. The pictures, the descriptions of the action, the dialog that takes place.

Kind of what a forum is all about...

Check it out.

:buffing:

WRAPT C5Z06
12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm beginning to really appreciate the forced rotation of the 3401 more and more. You just can't beat it! However, it comes with a consequence of making the machine harder to control. Also, I don't prefer using the 3401 for finishing on 2-steps with anything but hard paint. I cannot stand when a machine bogs on non-flat panels and the Rupes has a problem with that. However, the Rupes is a very smooth machine and can correct fast(as long as the pad is spinning).

Mike Phillips
12-19-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm beginning to really appreciate the forced rotation of the 3401 more and more.

You just can't beat it!

Changing your mind on the Flex 3401 again?

I can't count how many times you've put this tool down?

:dunno:

WRAPT C5Z06
12-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Changing your mind on the Flex 3401 again?

I can't count how many times you've put this tool down?

:dunno:
Well, yes. :)

I have put it down quite a few times and still don't like the polishing "feel" with it, but it does get the job done. Pad bogging really irritates me and I don't have this problem with the 3401. I've just learned to "deal" with the issues because the outcome is great(especially for 1-steps).

SR99
12-19-2013, 09:51 AM
However, the Rupes is a very smooth machine and can correct fast(as long as the pad is spinning).

I know the thinking with a traditional DA is it doesn't offer much correction unless the foam pad is rotating (in addition to oscillating).

That situation might be different with these large throw machines, which weren't around when that traditional thinking was developed.

I'd tend to think, with 21mm (roughly 7/8 of an inch) of orbital diameter, you're still getting a fair bit of correction due to the orbital motion, even if pad rotation stops.**

7/8ths of an inch is about the same size polishing circle as you'd have if you were spot buffing by hand with a small pad.

I don't think this point necessarily holds for smaller throw diameter machines, just because many pads have more stretch in them than the orbital diameter. So if the pad face is stopped in those cases, about all your're doing is exercising the internal foam by stretching it in e.g. 8mm diameter circles, but most of that motion doesn't make it to the face of the pad.

I guess a person could test this by doing a "reverse washer mod" so to speak, where the pad is prevented from rotating at all, but still moves in its 7/8" orbit, and comparing to the same rigging of a small throw diameter machine.

But the choice of pad also matters for this test, as far as stretchiness without tearing. Rupes pads do seem to have less elasticity than other foam pads I have, so maybe this was a special design consideration in matching their pads to their large throw machines.

**one case where this might not be true is if the machine is driving you, rather than you driving the machine. In that case your arms are absorbing the orbital motion.

supercharged
12-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Short answer - both. Rupes is a little bit easier to work with, but Flex is a BMW when it comes to corners. And you will needs its helping on those areas.