PDA

View Full Version : Rain X vs Coating

Pages : [1] 2

bojans
12-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Are coatings really that much better than Rain X? Aside from maybe lasting longer are there any real benefits?

GenesisCoupe
12-18-2013, 11:02 AM
RainX shouldn't even be a comparison to a coating, nor sealant for that matter.

kevincwelch
12-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Completely different products.

Coatings are much better. I used RainX before I got on the coating band wagon, and it was OK. Certainly not better than the Pinnacle sealant I used. The Pinnacle sealant was really great, but it didn't bead/sheet as well as I wanted it to do.

On the other hand, I coated my car with Gtechniq G1 and my wife's care with Pinnacle Black Label Glass Coating, and they both work very nicely and have been durable. (Gtechniq has turned out to be better, however.)

Just02896
12-18-2013, 11:45 AM
I did a quick polish and seal using pinnacle's glass products on my plow truck and before our first 6+" snowfall. I've been out plowing four times since then and I have to say...I'm pretty damn impressed!

WillWashesCars
12-18-2013, 12:09 PM
RainX is nowhere near the same level as any coating, even the cheapest coating available will outlast and outperform RainX.

k4df4l
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I've had really good results with Aquapel.

I need to apply some to my current car but we haven't had any suitably dry days with temps above 50 since I received my last order. :(

arack
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
RainX is nowhere near the same level as any coating, even the cheapest coating available will outlast and outperform RainX.

I like rain x, but the coatings are too expensive. What is the best coating for the money? :hungry:

Desertnate
12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
If you can't afford a coating, why not go with a high quality sealant like Klasse SG? I can get six months of protection for a single coat. Depending on the environment, you could probably get almost a year for two coats. A single 16.9oz bottle of the stuff has lasted me almost 9 years. I think that's a pretty good return on investment for that $25 bottle.

aim4squirrels
12-18-2013, 01:14 PM
If you can't afford a coating, why not go with a high quality sealant like Klasse SG? I can get six months of protection for a single coat. Depending on the environment, you could probably get almost a year for two coats. A single 16.9oz bottle of the stuff has lasted me almost 9 years. I think that's a pretty good return on investment for that $25 bottle.

Quoted for Truth. I've used the Klasse Twins on every vehicle since 2005 religiously every 6 months and I'm not even halfway through the bottle of KSG. SUPER THIN is the way to apply it or it's really a bugger to remove.

Basically, it if doesn't melt into the paint when you put it on, it's too thick.

topKek
12-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I like rain x, but the coatings are too expensive. What is the best coating for the money? :hungry:
You can buy a box of 12 applicators of Aquapel (lasts ~6 months) from Amazon. Not sure about AG, first and last time I tried to buy from here they cancelled my order because they had things for sale online that apparently weren't in their inventory. :xyxthumbs:

The Critic
12-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Optimum Opti-Glass is probably the best product out there.

1 year of protection and improved chip resistance, supposedly. I find it to sheet water better than aquapel.

If you use the small, round cotton make-up applicators to apply it, you will use very little product. The $80 bottle can treat 10-15 windshields quite easily.

MattPersman
12-18-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't see much problem with rain x I will use it on cars I rent and family and friends cars all the time the difference between it and nothing is quite amazing

I am no pro but it just takes a minute to throw it on

van185
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
For the price Glass Science is really good and it last longer than Rain X.

ScottB
12-18-2013, 07:33 PM
With Rain-X I have streaking and wiper chatter .... haven't noted with Aquapel and a coating.

Woob
12-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Aquapel / Coatings > RainX (light duty)