PDA

View Full Version : New to Detailing - help with Microfiber Towel selection

Demonizer
12-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Hi Everyone - Just started getting into detailing because I am just finishing up a complete fully custom 1967 Mustang build & I want to learn to detail it the right way myself because it looks like a lot of fun! After cruising the AG forum for the last few weeks I cant wait to get to it! I am addicted to details & can absolutely relate to all the "OCD" detailer out there - I fear I may be the next detailing addict!

Its a BLACK, PPG Deltron 9700 base & 2021 Clear - cut & buffed so its very flat and very black... I want it even blacker.

Attached some pics - will be putting the fenders & stuff on next week.

Has lots of light swirls & stuff after a year of final assembly & wiping down with what I thought was soft cotton towels!

Getting all my Detailing stuff during the X-Mas Sales

So far I have bought the Flex / Wolfgang Ultimate Polishing kit & some pads - mostly white & black & a couple Red as I dont think I need any heavy correction.

Got the WG Total Swirl Remover as I think the Uber Compound that came with the kit might be to aggressive to start. Also got the WG MF Cleaner & spritz & other stuff - I like to stay within one product line.

Why Wolfgang? Well, Why not - Narrowed it to Menzerna, Pinnacle, Wolfgang - The Flex kit with the smaller back plate came with the Wollfgang product line - and I liked the reviews of the Deep Gloss Paint Sealer - So We'll see.

ANYWAY - HERE IS MY QUESTION:
the last thing I need now is the Microfiber towels. I have searched for days & read a zillion posts & am more confused then before - I though MF was MF - who knew!

I currently have a bunch of Costco Yellow MF's - I cut the edges off & they seem OK, But this is a $60k show car that I drive all over the pace & I want to correct the paint & keep it as "perfect" as possible without adding swirls & Scratches & stuff with "lesser" towels. The Costco MF's are for everything but the paint.

I would like some proven advice / suggestions, simplified for a beginner, to stock up my selection of MF towels for paint detailing. I dont mind spending the money on towels that will not scratch.
I don't have the extra cash (or clear coat) for much trial & error - i.e. - removing swirls & scratches over & over.
I have about $100 to spend to get started?

I believe I would need specific types of MF towels for each task:
- Polish & wax removal
- Final buff/wipe down
- Quick Detailing / Dusting
- general cleaning (windows, interior, chrome - etc... The Costco MF Towels I have now.

Maybe 3-5 of each?? I tend to like the 16' x 16" folded up to 8x8

Really appreciate the advice - thanks.

rms64
12-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the forum and cool car! You'll get lots of opinions here on MF's and you're right - there's tons of options / information out there. My suggestions are below, based on my experience. I'm sure others will chime in too.

Good luck! :xyxthumbs:

Hi Everyone - Just started getting into detailing because I am just finishing up a complete fully custom 1967 Mustang build & I want to learn to detail it the right way myself because it looks like a lot of fun! After cruising the AG forum for the last few weeks I cant wait to get to it! I am addicted to details & can absolutely relate to all the "OCD" detailer out there - I fear I may be the next detailing addict!

Its a BLACK, PPG Deltron 9700 base & 2021 Clear - cut & buffed so its very flat and very black... I want it even blacker.

Attached some pics - will be putting the fenders & stuff on next week.

Has lots of light swirls & stuff after a year of final assembly & wiping down with what I thought was soft cotton towels!

Getting all my Detailing stuff during the X-Mas Sales

So far I have bought the Flex / Wolfgang Ultimate Polishing kit & some pads - mostly white & black & a couple Red as I dont think I need any heavy correction.

Got the WG Total Swirl Remover as I think the Uber Compound that came with the kit might be to aggressive to start. Also got the WG MF Cleaner & spritz & other stuff - I like to stay within one product line.

Why Wolfgang? Well, Why not - Narrowed it to Menzerna, Pinnacle, Wolfgang - The Flex kit with the smaller back plate came with the Wollfgang product line - and I liked the reviews of the Deep Gloss Paint Sealer - So We'll see.

ANYWAY - HERE IS MY QUESTION:
the last thing I need now is the Microfiber towels. I have searched for days & read a zillion posts & am more confused then before - I though MF was MF - who knew!

I currently have a bunch of Costco Yellow MF's - I cut the edges off & they seem OK, But this is a $60k show car that I drive all over the pace & I want to correct the paint & keep it as "perfect" as possible without adding swirls & Scratches & stuff with "lesser" towels. The Costco MF's are for everything but the paint.

I would like some proven advice / suggestions, simplified for a beginner, to stock up my selection of MF towels for paint detailing. I dont mind spending the money on towels that will not scratch.
I don't have the extra cash (or clear coat) for much trial & error - i.e. - removing swirls & scratches over & over.
I have about $100 to spend to get started?

I believe I would need specific types of MF towels for each task:
- Polish & wax removal I've had good luck with the Supreme 530 towels for this, like these:

Supreme 530 microfiber towel, buffing cloth, drying towel, detailing towel, 530 towel (http://www.autogeek.net/supreme-buff-microfiber-towel.html)

- Final buff/wipe down I really like Arctic Whites for this - super soft and not crazy expensive - one of my favorites

Arctic White Microfiber Towel, microfiber cloth, detailing towel (http://www.autogeek.net/white-microfiber-towel.html)

- Quick Detailing / Dusting I use the Arctic Whites for this, and also Woobies. I've seen complaints of some linting with the Woobies but haven't had any major issues personally

Woobie Microfiber Towel, 3-Pack, buffing towel, edgeless polishing cloth (http://www.autogeek.net/paint-polishing-towel.html)

- general cleaning (windows, interior, chrome - etc... The Costco MF Towels I have now. Your Costco towels are fine for this. You may want to consider grabbing a waffle weave towl like this for windows - works great.

The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber. (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html)

Maybe 3-5 of each?? I tend to like the 16' x 16" folded up to 8x8

Really appreciate the advice - thanks.

And there you have it. Be sure to post us some pics of that great ride you have as you make that paint shine!

vet
12-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Welcome! The Mustang looks awesome!

swanicyouth
12-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Ten pearls of MF wisdom:

1. MF is blend (usually) of polyester & polyamide. It's usually around 80/20. Higher amounts of polyamide (less polyester) may make the towel for absorbent for drying (example 75/25) - however, the towel may be slightly less soft. Also, waffle weave will help with drying.

2. Basically, you can do most things on paint with a quality 400gsm towel. The trick is to buy high quality towels that won't scratch.

3. IMHO crazy 600gsm + towels are good for one thing: rinseless washes via the Gary Dean Wash Method. You don't need a snuggle towel to wipe wax off of paint - but you do need a quality towel.

4. Towel borders are important. Ideally, you want a towel with no borders or microfiber borders. Silk borders are OK - but, I wouldn't be using a silk bordered towel to wipe polish off a jet black corrected car. Also, a silk bordered towel is no cheaper than one without borders or one with MF borders.

5. MF made in Korea is generally thought as higher quality than MF made in China. However, it can get tricky, because the MF material can be made in Korea and the towel assembled in China. I've have never been disappointed with a towel that was made in Korea.

6. Any towel sold by Microfiber Madness is top notch. They cost a lot, but they are very good.

7. Auto Geek's purple 600gsm towel and their 530 grey gsm towel are very good towels. They are very dense towels, and don't seem to fit my general rule about "600 gsm towels" due to their high density. Most 600 gsm towels are very fluffy - these are dense. They are good for almost anything on paint. They have MF borders. You can do almost anything on paint with either of these towels.

8. Quality split weave MF should feel "picky" when you run it across the palm of your hand. Cheap 100% polyester Pep Boys MF won't do this. This "pickiness" is how the towel grabs and hold on to dirt. It's a good sign. However, there are some quality towels that won't do this much (likely due to fabric treatment or towel pile), but generally it's a good rule.

9. Don't buy cheap towels for paint. Buy cheap towels for interior work, door jambs, and non scratch sensitive surfaces.

10. If your going to spend the cash on good towels- take care of them right. Buy microfiber detergent. AG's house brands MF detergents are all very good. Wash MF with MF only - no dirty socks in the load. Dry on medium heat. Don't use fabric softener, but adding a cup of distiller vinegar to the final rinse often acts as a "natural fabric softener" and is safe with MF. Dry on medium or low heat. No fabric softener in dryer. Dry only MF with MF. Often towels will benefit from a second rinse cycle, just to make sure all the detergent is out.

DetailedTaco
12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
There is a great write up from a forum member, Scott from Increibly Detailed. It gives you everything you would ever need to know about MFs. $100 will get you a good amount of MFs.

The Microfiber Manifesto: Everything You Need To Know About Microfiber Towels (http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/microfiber-manifesto-everything-need-know-microfiber-towels/)

Demonizer
12-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys for all the info - it really summarizes everything I need to know - specially the link!

Makes a lot more sense. Now I have to decide what towels to get to use my $20 coupon!

Thanks Again