PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use Mineral Spirits for tar removal

Pages : [1] 2

lawrenceSA
12-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Just wondering how many of you are using mineral spirits for tar removal.

Would you care to share any tips/techniques in terms of preferred application methods.

Anybody have any horror stories of damage to the paint etc.

Thanks in advance

Romans5.8
12-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Mineral spirits should not damage cured paint. It's perfectly harmless on paint that has cured! It's wet paint and other things (like tar) that it'll eat up.

oldmodman
12-18-2013, 01:58 AM
I have used it with great success. I just take a Scott Shoptowel and fold it into a pad, soak it with Mineral Spirits, and hold it on the tar for a minute or two. Then it comes right off.
Just remember that it removes every trace of wax too.

PiPUK
12-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Mineral spirits is effectively the 'base' used in many hydrocarbon tar removers. It is basically kerosine with the nasty stuff removed (I have commented elsewhere and it is this nasty stuff you need to beware of). Do be aware that it will be difficult to remove because it is totally water insoluble and also it has a relatively high flash point so it can take hours to evaporate away (and you cannot afford to apply something until it is all gone). Moreover, it is relatively mild on its own. Formulated tar removers will typically have a level of additional solvents which aid their effectiveness (although it should be noted some cheap products use some seriously aggressive solvents which I personally do not agree with). Moreover, a formulated tar remover will have added agents to ensure that the product will rinse off with water (which is the reason they turn 'white' on water contact).

Personally, because we make the stuff, I have access to large volumes of mineral spirits and likewise to tar remover. I would never use the base mineral spirits for tar removal. This should tell you that the only reason for using mineral spirits is if you do not have a proper tar remover available (or it is too expensive).

lawrenceSA
12-18-2013, 04:36 AM
Mineral spirits is effectively the 'base' used in many hydrocarbon tar removers. It is basically kerosine with the nasty stuff removed (I have commented elsewhere and it is this nasty stuff you need to beware of). Do be aware that it will be difficult to remove because it is totally water insoluble and also it has a relatively high flash point so it can take hours to evaporate away (and you cannot afford to apply something until it is all gone). Moreover, it is relatively mild on its own. Formulated tar removers will typically have a level of additional solvents which aid their effectiveness (although it should be noted some cheap products use some seriously aggressive solvents which I personally do not agree with). Moreover, a formulated tar remover will have added agents to ensure that the product will rinse off with water (which is the reason they turn 'white' on water contact).

Personally, because we make the stuff, I have access to large volumes of mineral spirits and likewise to tar remover. I would never use the base mineral spirits for tar removal. This should tell you that the only reason for using mineral spirits is if you do not have a proper tar remover available (or it is too expensive).

Thank you

So if I am understanding correctly, mineral spirits is a cheaper alternative to properly formulated tar removers (for example Autofinesse Oblitarate), however its draw backs are

a) it will take longer to evaporate due to the higher flash point and the fact that it is water insoluble. [are there any cleaners which could aid in the removal of the mineral spirits that could be used after using mineral spirits?]

b) it will take longer to remove the tar due to the lack of certain additional solvents - i.e. mineral spirits (being the base only) doesn't have the added 'oompf' from the additional solvents (such as Xyelen etc)

But it is as safe, or perhaps even safer for the paint, than properly formulated tar removers (as some of these contain potentially harmful chemicals such as xylene or 'butyl' type solvents)

There are 3 main reasons for my interest in this.

1) the long term safety of customers' paint when using dedicated tar removers - the post on Autopia re: paint swelling scared me a little
2) my long term health/safety due to repeated exposure to harmful substances contained in the dedicated tar removers
3) The high cost of dedicated tar removers in comparison to mineral spirits

FUNX650
12-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I've used Mineral Spirits (MS)...
With: Low-Odor Mineral Spirits (L-OMS) being my preferred "type"...
for tar removal on many occasions.

To help ensure the removal of any trace amounts of MS/L-OMS:
I'll employ a 'poultice-like process' usually consisting of Lava Soap,
subsequently followed by copius amounts of water...via flooding method(s).

:)

Bob

lawrenceSA
12-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Thanks for you input Bob - appreciated

Coach Steve
12-19-2013, 03:29 AM
I have used it with great success. I just take a Scott Shoptowel and fold it into a pad, soak it with Mineral Spirits, and hold it on the tar for a minute or two. Then it comes right off.
Just remember that it removes every trace of wax too.
+1

PiPUK
12-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Thank you

So if I am understanding correctly, mineral spirits is a cheaper alternative to properly formulated tar removers (for example Autofinesse Oblitarate), however its draw backs are

a) it will take longer to evaporate due to the higher flash point and the fact that it is water insoluble. [are there any cleaners which could aid in the removal of the mineral spirits that could be used after using mineral spirits?]

b) it will take longer to remove the tar due to the lack of certain additional solvents - i.e. mineral spirits (being the base only) doesn't have the added 'oompf' from the additional solvents (such as Xyelen etc)

But it is as safe, or perhaps even safer for the paint, than properly formulated tar removers (as some of these contain potentially harmful chemicals such as xylene or 'butyl' type solvents)

There are 3 main reasons for my interest in this.

1) the long term safety of customers' paint when using dedicated tar removers - the post on Autopia re: paint swelling scared me a little
2) my long term health/safety due to repeated exposure to harmful substances contained in the dedicated tar removers
3) The high cost of dedicated tar removers in comparison to mineral spirits

Mostly you are correct. To be honest, I feel that the risks of many solvents are over stated. There is a lot of caution about some solvents yet the same people will use other products which pose much greater risks. Moreover, there is fretting about some commonly used solvents which may pose some hazard yet we will never discuss some of the really nasty solvents, simply because they are not commonly used.

The only real issue you have with the LO MS is the difficulty in getting rid of it. A thorough wash will get most of it, an IPA wipe will get the rest.

Kaban
12-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I've used mineral spirits before. I have also used Tarminator and 3M general adhesive remover.

They are all good, maybe the 3M is the best of the bunch but who knows really.

Larry A
12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I only use mineral spirits for tar removeal

dchristo
12-19-2013, 09:45 PM
gojo hand cleaner works just a well as mineral spirits for tar removal

cardaddy
12-20-2013, 01:05 AM
So Tar-X isn't getting any love in this thread? Vew-we inter-westing.;)

I'm one of those 'both camp' guys. If it's a DD, especially some of the jacked up 4x4's around here that don't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel I'll put MS on it every time and then a 15% (at least) IPA wipe. But on a 'normal' car I became spoiled with Tar-X first time I used it. :dunno:

Dr Oldz
12-20-2013, 01:48 AM

You expertise is always much appreciated. And you explanations are always in depth yet easy to understand. Never thought about tar removers turning white with water contact but it explains much.

For those reading..... This gentleman is always spot on and knows what he is talking about. I suggest considering his words very deeply. For more interesting reading, I suggest reading his explanation why Dawn doesn't strip LSPs as some believe it does. :cheers:

Bunky
12-20-2013, 06:14 AM
I just use Tarminator. I do not have any mineral spirits around anyway.