PDA

View Full Version : Rupes DA Polisher and Sonax Xtreme

Andrew_517
12-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Hello Mike,

Currently I am using Sonax Xtreme polishing product, which should be designed for hand polish. These product has mild abrasive feature. However, I recently bought the Rupes bigfoot DA Polisher (LHR15), so can I keep using the current product on the DA polisher? What setting will you recommend? Also the approximate time that you will suggest for the DA to work on one area each time?

Thanks for your great help in advance!:xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
12-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Hello Mike,

Currently I am using Sonax Xtreme polishing product, which should be designed for hand polish. These product has mild abrasive feature.

Sonax products have very good abrasive technology. A few years ago I don't remember it being as good as formulas just the last few years.

However, I recently bought the Rupes Bigfoot DA Polisher (LHR15), so can I keep using the current product on the DA polisher?

Probably be okay. You won't know till you do some testing. Normally products formulated SPECIFICALLY by HAND will tend to be thick and in some cases dry up when you get them hot.

You generate more heat when working by hand as compared to working by machine. So watch your "buffing cycle", that is how long the product stays liquid on the surface while you're buffing.

Also watch how it wipes off, if it wipes off really hard you might want to consider getting a product actually formulated for use by machine. Sonax makes some very good products with excellent abrasive technology.

What setting will you recommend? Also the approximate time that you will suggest for the DA to work on one area each time?

With the Rupes Bigfoot 15 and a 6" pad you're going to want to use whatever speed setting is needed to maintain pad rotation. Mark the side of the Rupes Backing plate with a permanent marker like you see in these two pictures...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2174/Rupes_Coating_Monster_Truck_012.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2174/Rupes_Coating_Monster_Truck_018.jpg

As this will make it a lot easier for you to detect pad rotation or pad stall with you eyes.

My guess is after spreading the product out using a medium speed you'll want to bump the speed setting up to the 6 speed on the dial.

Thanks for your great help in advance!

:xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

Keep us updated how the product for use by hand works out for you as well as the Rupes Bigfoot 15

:)

Andrew_517
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your reply, Mike.

On my first try, I forgot to mark on the backing pad. However, I worked on the paint for about 45sec or maybe more, it form a hazy layer and it was a bit more difficult to buff off by microfiber towel comparing to work by hand.
During the test, I set the DA to 1 for spreading out the polish then I turn up the DA to 4.
I have my backing pad marked, and I will try again to see if any stall happen during the polish.
Thanks again for you advisory.👍

Andrew_517
12-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Besides, if it does not work out as the way it should, I will switch to Sonax "Prefect finish" with Rupes white pad. However, should I do one more step to maintain the work for longer time, or it still be good on it? If one more step would be necessary, then what product would you suggest on my next step? Thanks again!