PDA

View Full Version : Dont wash your car in Garden City, NY.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

57BORNTORUN
12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
A little over the top.Perhaps the gray area needs some clarification.(And I dont mean the clear coat failure on the front panels.)
Watch this NY police officer threaten to ticket someone for washing a car in their own driveway - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/16/ny-police-officer-ticket-car-washer-own-driveway/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588)

Dr_Pain
12-17-2013, 08:59 AM
WOW!.... just WOW!

RFulmer
12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Ok, that's crazy.

mwoolfso
12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I saw this last night as I was browsing. I wasn't aware this was in Garden City, NY. That's not too far from where I live.

Garden City has their own homeowners associations and with them they usually have their own ordinances; especially in an upper-middle class NY suburb.

One of the things they do have is their own police force. This guy looks like a village cop and not a part of the county police force.

Aside from "snotty" behavior both sides exhibited it is very possible this ordinance is real. However, the notion of "cannot wash car in public places" does not apply here. I am not a lawyer but it seems he would have a good chance of getting any ticket dismissed.

I believe the cop knew he was toeing the line even if he didn't witness the guys washing.

A driveway is private property and not a public place. He would likely have the ticket dismissed. If the ordinance said "public view", then I would say driveways apply.

b0b
12-17-2013, 09:32 AM
I would have turned the pressure washer on the second they left.... And I would take that to court... Hell I'd be surprised if I could put my garbage can out front there without receiving a complaint..

That's really sad that those two officers were wasting those peoples time and tax dollars doing that..

Can you imagine that hearing...? So Mr. Carwasher, you were washing your car in your driveway...how dare you...GUILTY!

FUNX650
12-17-2013, 09:51 AM
A homeowner's driveway may well be adjudicated as a "private place"...

But the effluent from washing vehicles, (private driveway or a Business establishment), in more and more locales:
-Is coming under surveillance of those that scrutinize
-And is being enforced per: The Clean Water Act, et al.

:)

Bob

mwoolfso
12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Here you go...free and clear... so much for police officers applying the law as stated. He was toeing on a civil rights violation in his own right.

Village of Garden City, NY WATER (http://ecode360.com/9148401)

Chapter 197: WATER
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Garden City: Art. I, 9-1-1977 as L.L. No. 8-1977; Art. II, 7-9-1987 as L.L. No. 3-1987. Section 197-6C amended during codification; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. III. Other amendments noted where applicable.]

§ 197-12 Miscellaneous provisions.

A. All home car washing must be done with hoses fitted with spray nozzles with automatic shut-off.

B. Use of water for washing down driveways or walkways is hereby prohibited.

hamlyn
12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I don't think the cop did a good job explaining the law. He clearly read "in public," but does washing a car on your private property in public view still go against city ordinances?
The two guys, on the other hand, concern me somewhat. They're not well liked by their neighbor (which, clearly is not illegal), to the point where they (the neighbors) called the cops on them for washing a car. The two guys were very antagonistic with the cop. They chose to escalate the issue rather than try and diffuse it, to the point that the cop and his partner tried to find fault with the car's licensing and registration. I would have asked the cop to educate me on the law and why, rather than to dare him to issue a citation. They're clearly not doing themselves any favors...

mwoolfso
12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I would have turned the pressure washer on the second they left.... And I would take that to court... Hell I'd be surprised if I could put my garbage can out front there without receiving a complaint..

That's really sad that those two officers were wasting those peoples time and tax dollars doing that..

Can you imagine that hearing...? So Mr. Carwasher, you were washing your car in your driveway...how dare you...GUILTY!

Yes, in Texas for sure.

RFulmer
12-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I'd move. And to a previous poster, how was the homeowner being "snotty" at all? He was being rather calm and reasonable to me.

mwoolfso
12-17-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't think the cop did a good job explaining the law. He clearly read "in public," but does washing a car on your private property in public view still go against city ordinances?
The two guys, on the other hand, concern me somewhat. They're not well liked by their neighbor (which, clearly is not illegal), to the point where they called the cops on them for washing a car, and were very antagonistic with the cop. They chose to escalate the issue rather than try and diffuse it, to the point that the cop and his partner tried to find fault with the car's licensing. I would have asked the cop to educate me on the law and why, rather than to dare him to issue a citation. They're clearly not doing themselves any favors...

Notice the officer said his Lieutenant told him to come out and see what is going on. It's clear the neighbor knows people by that statement alone. What Lieutenant gets involved in a car washing situation between neighbors who do not like each other!?!?!?!?!

Bill1234
12-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I saw this on reddit, jeez people, there is much more to complain about than car washing. If they have a clean water act , okay, so are they drinking it off the ground? I dont see how washing a car is bad, all that is needed is common sense and an eco friendly mind

Klasse Act
12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
You guys are looking at this all wrong, I look at it as thw world is free from terrorism and criminals and now the police need something to do. I know this, I'll sleep better tonight knowing all is good in the world, finally.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

jankerson
12-17-2013, 10:06 AM
I think the question should be why the neighbor called the police in the 1st place...

Then after that was found out the rest might be clearer, laws notwithstanding....

But no they really didn't do themselves any favors either..... They were acting like punks for the most part..... Typical of today's generation.....

The answer should be been Yes Officer I will take of it and let them go on their way......

Then wash the car later after they left....

RFulmer
12-17-2013, 10:09 AM
I think the question should be why the neighbor called the police in the 1st place...

Then after that was found out the rest might be clearer, laws notwithstanding....

But no they really didn't do themselves any favors either..... They were acting like punks for the most part..... Typical of today's generation.....

The answer should be been Yes Officer I will take of it and let them go on their way......

Then wash the car later after they left....

I would have had an attitude too if somebody was threatening me over washing my car.