PDA

View Full Version : First detail - Honda Ridgeline

valleyrider
12-17-2013, 01:06 AM
First detail ever and I started with my dad's truck as a Christmas gift for him. He bought the truck used a few years ago and did not know the previous history of it. Ever since he had purchased it I told him it most likely had been repainted in a few areas since it didn't perfectly match and it wasn't a nice glossy paint job. His truck had a near matte finish on it it was so bad, almost no reflections could be seen at all.

Started out with the wheels using some 1Z colourtec and he had never seen the wheels so clean, ever! Now he had also never cleaned the wheels so anything was cleaner than he had seen on them, but the wheel cleaner still does work great. Next was a wash with some Megs wash and wax, the stuff you can buy at any store almost. I the wash process I had dad help out so he could learn proper washing techniques to try to keep his truck looking nice for a long time.

I decided to include dad in the claying process as well since he seemed very interested in it once I showed him the baggy test.

Then came the test spots to determine what would be needed for the correction. BF SRC Compound, Menzerna SI 1500, and M105 were tested with an orange pad and an optimum mf pad all with the GG6" . the M105 with the mf pad proved to be the best combo as the other compounds needed 2 applications each to reach the level the M105 would reach in 5 passes. Once compounded I finished off with BF Finishing Polish. Also cleaned up the headlights

PBL cleansing polish to prep followed by PBL surface coating on all glass and paint.

As I was polishing the car I noticed that some areas of the paint were single stage paint and turned my pads grey while other areas were the expected 2 stage paint. The repaint on the truck was such a poorly done cheap job and it showed throughout the paint in every panel of the truck. I found some nice overspray to show dad just to prove that it was in fact repainted.

I managed to get a decent shine out of the paint on this truck, not as much as I was anticipating but with the poor quality paint I got out as much of a gloss as I am capable of bringing out with the tools I had. 10 hours of detailing later and I completed the truck. Dad was thrilled that his truck looked better than the day he bought it, he could actually see himself in the paint now, something he could not do before.

I cant find the before photos right now but when I do I will post them up so you can see how bad the paint was.

After shots
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/801/nqvt.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/96/2f6c.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/716/fksu.jpg

Pureshine
12-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Looks good nice job:)

stemyx
12-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Wow nice job!! I wish my dad would want to learn proper washing techniques! He still uses a single bucket with an old rag (scary) lol! And what dressing did you apply? It has a nice look :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

valleyrider
12-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Wow nice job!! I wish my dad would want to learn proper washing techniques! He still uses a single bucket with an old rag (scary) lol! And what dressing did you apply? It has a nice look :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

I used some cheap-o Black Magic tire shine gel and it looks pretty nice, no clue how long it'll last though. I used it on the tires and the black plastics around the bed. Also I sprayed the wheel wells with some meguires hot shine tire spray to make them look a little nicer as well as the bed of the truck.

vet
12-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Looks great!

TheCougarGuy
12-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Great job.

I always like the style of that truck.

jankerson
12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Looks good. :)

a g thang
12-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice job!!

Sent from Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)rex

Mike Phillips
12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Looks good!

I actually like the Honda Ridgelines....

:dblthumb2:

miniSguy
12-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Love how you got your dad involved with the process. I find that my customers are really excited about the process once they start learning new things about it. It also makes them really appreciate what you're doing and how much work and time it takes to get the great results.

Nice work!

valleyrider
12-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Looks good!

I actually like the Honda Ridgelines....

:dblthumb2:

My favorite thing is the trunk in the bed of the truck, very useful for storing tools in and keeping them locked up.