PDA

View Full Version : New Lexus - anyone know what coating Lexus sells?

Pages : [1] 2

rms64
12-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Greetings all,

Well, my parents are visiting for the holidays, and recently they bought a new Lexus. They're driving from Denver to Orlando, so I offered them a full detail as part of a Christmas gift.

My dad reacted by saying that "they said I'd never have to wax it, we paid extra for something that will protect it" and sounded reluctant to do much of anything except wash it. Understandable, but I want to be armed with good information about what exactly Lexus is selling as presumably a coating.

Anyone have the scoop on this? At a minimum, I'll give the car a good wash and if I can get away with it, minor correction if it needs it but I want to be able to talk intelligently about the options.

Any feedback much appreciated!

:xyxthumbs:

VP Mark
12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Probably Xzilon or a similar product. Glorified paint sealant. I would strip it and apply a coating if I were you. Lexus has super soft clears.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Lexi65
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Greetings all,

Well, my parents are visiting for the holidays, and recently they bought a new Lexus. They're driving from Denver to Orlando, so I offered them a full detail as part of a Christmas gift.

My dad reacted by saying that "they said I'd never have to wax it, we paid extra for something that will protect it" and sounded reluctant to do much of anything except wash it. Understandable, but I want to be armed with good information about what exactly Lexus is selling as presumably a coating.

Anyone have the scoop on this? At a minimum, I'll give the car a good wash and if I can get away with it, minor correction if it needs it but I want to be able to talk intelligently about the options.

Any feedback much appreciated!

:xyxthumbs:

Suggest you ask your Dad if you can call the dealership to at
least find out what he is talking about. Suggest you talk to his salesman and/or the sales manager as PART of your due
diligence. Your Dad's comments sound pretty vague. Hopefully,
your Dad will understand you are trying to help him. Just my
2 cents. :buffing:

firecorgi
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Not knowing what Lexus sells for a coating but with a recent purchase of my own, the dealership was offering Xzilion(?). It was suppose to last 5 years or so with the premise of not having to wax the vehicle. The salesman and I had discussions about detailing and he told me not to waste my money on it.
Lexi 65 has a great suggestion.

rms64
12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Probably Xzilon or a similar product. Glorified paint sealant. I would strip it and apply a coating if I were you. Lexus has super soft clears.

Thank you - appreciate the feedback very much. I understand about paying for something that sounds so good but am thinking stripping and applying something like Black Label or CQuartz would really be great. I'm assuming the car would need only a polish to get ready for that.

Suggest you ask your Dad if you can call the dealership to at
least find out what he is talking about. Suggest you talk to his salesman and/or the sales manager as PART of your due
diligence. Your Dad's comments sound pretty vague. Hopefully,
your Dad will understand you are trying to help him. Just my
2 cents. :buffing:

Appreciated the suggestions and will definitely do the right due diligence. I think with some education I'll be able to do a good job for them.

Not knowing what Lexus sells for a coating but with a recent purchase of my own, the dealership was offering Xzilion(?). It was suppose to last 5 years or so with the premise of not having to wax the vehicle. The salesman and I had discussions about detailing and he told me not to waste my money on it.
Lexi 65 has a great suggestion.

Sounds like what he's thinking - I believe the dealership told them 10 years - no wax.:eek:

Thanks for relaying your experience at the dealership.

Mike lambert
12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
That is what the local dealer here uses, I love it! They put it on with a rotary and I make lots fixing swirls and putting on finest!
The poor people do not realize they are financing a bottle of wax!

Andr3wilson
12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
I know here a lot of dealerships push a product called diamond coat. Something like a $1200 option (LOL). Its basically a sealant, last 6 months... maybe. I know for a fact some dealerships in my city will use anything and call it diamond coat. This includes a generic spray wax. Comes down to profiting off of consumer lack of knowledge.

They do the same for windshield coatings here too, but at least they offer a "warranty" if the windshield cracks.

Typically though, these places go cheap and do more bad then good.

Polish and coat it!

rms64
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
I know here a lot of dealerships push a product called diamond coat. Something like a $1200 option (LOL). Its basically a sealant, last 6 months... maybe. I know for a fact some dealerships in my city will use anything and call it diamond coat. This includes a generic spray wax. Comes down to profiting off of consumer lack of knowledge.

They do the same for windshield coatings here too, but at least they offer a "warranty" if the windshield cracks.

Typically though, these places go cheap and do more bad then good.

Polish and coat it!

Thanks guys - my challenge will be somehow explaining this to them in some tactful fashion. :dunno:

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-16-2013, 08:12 PM
We had a Lexus and my wife bought the crap they were selling without me being present, anyways I just pulled the papers out and it is called DuPont Protector. Hope that helps by the way that was back in 2009 and we dont own the car anymore.

weekendwarrior
12-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Call the dealership and ask them about and clear bras , since you know that is what was applied, the clear bra installer needs to know the extact product on the surface, manufacturer and all. If they confirm that is the product, you know it is a dealer scam,and a well known one.

Since this is family, my advice is to nod your head like they know more than you, wink and say "we'll see you next year". Don't show your Dad up, not worth it.

xzillion package ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f152/xzillion-package-259087/)

anyone get the xzillion coating? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=352946)

Servco Lexus Paint Sealant. Is it worth the cost? - PakShak Auto Detailing Forum (http://pakshak.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2433)

On the last link, read all 3 pages , post #3, and $800 cost,and last page to see the warranty claim.

If they protect for 5 years, see if they back it up (with beading) after 1 year. Tell your Dad to to and file a claim if it doesn't bead after 1, and see what happens. Make it his idea, not yours, that this service was a bad idea.

So, ask today "Oh that stuff warranties for 5 years , and will bead for 5 years? Let see how it goes a year from now. Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas!"

One year from now, give him Christmas present when they deny the claim :)

rms64
12-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Call the dealership and ask them about and clear bras , since you know that is what was applied, the clear bra installer needs to know the extact product on the surface, manufacturer and all. If they confirm that is the product, you know it is a dealer scam,and a well known one.

Since this is family, my advice is to nod your head like they know more than you, wink and say "we'll see you next year". Don't show your Dad up, not worth it.

xzillion package ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f152/xzillion-package-259087/)

anyone get the xzillion coating? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=352946)

Servco Lexus Paint Sealant. Is it worth the cost? - PakShak Auto Detailing Forum (http://pakshak.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2433)

On the last link, read all 3 pages , post #3, and $800 cost,and last page to see the warranty claim.

If they protect for 5 years, see if they back it up (with beading) after 1 year. Tell your Dad to to and file a claim if it doesn't bead after 1, and see what happens. Make it his idea, not yours, that this service was a bad idea.

So, ask today "Oh that stuff warranties for 5 years , and will bead for 5 years? Let see how it goes a year from now. Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas!"

One year from now, give him Christmas present when they deny the claim :)

Good advice, thank you. As a matter of perspective, I'm 49 (today) and my Dad is a great guy - hate that they got taken advantage of, but definitely don't want to do any upstaging.

I believe I'll plan on doing a great wash / cleanup for them and see how things progress.

Kacz
12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
What happens is they say it lasts 2-5-10 years, but in fact its only a sealant.

Usually they are acrylic sealants and they work, but are applied poorly. What they are actually selling is a warranty on the paint or interior and not the actual application of whatever product it may be. The 5-10 year thing is actually if you get it reapplied again and again.

Cilajet is the first thing that comes to mind since I have experience with it and the District Managers that travel from dealer to dealer know absolutely nothing, yet they teach the 'Detail techs' at dealers how to apply it. Its funny because I asked him why this product needs a certification to apply and he said "It's acrylic"....and your point is?

It makes me sad that people buy this warranty and never get it reapplied which is what dealers count on, but I'm currently trying to change that at a particular auto-group, but this is proving to be a challenge, however I will never give up!

*I don't work at a dealer, but I spend a lot of time at about 8 of them to help "fix" things when I can. ;)

EDIT: Just read about Xzilon at their website. It says it doesn't need to be reapplied. Yikes!

VP Mark
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
A mild polish will thoroughly strip Xzilon and similar dealer applied sealants. Most dealerships Dont prep worth a crap so often the 'coating' is failing after a few weeks anyhow.

The lasting xyears thing is a total farce. If you read the fine print on most of these sealants they require you to have it re applied every six months in order to keep the warranty.

TundraPower
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
My wife has an obsidian black Lexus. Clear coat is soft as butter. I must say Lexus paint looks stunning when done right. (And guess who gets to make sure it's done right). She demanded her money back after the "magic coating" failed to perform as advertised after 6 months. And she got it.

Detailing by M
12-17-2013, 12:46 AM
crap