PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 5 Inch 2000 & 3000 Grit Sanding Discs

Pages : 1 [2]

ARTB155
11-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Mike

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I mean about Rupes X Cut Sanding Discs not pads (typing error) so you were in right direction.
I am working on a VW Golf 2005. hood as there are lots of scratches causes by the owner when he try to remove some spillage with scotch brite side of dishes sponge together with some dishes abrasive liquid (in my country it is called Arf and it is very abrasive and used for inox dishes washing).
As there is a lot of clear coat (hood was repainted by previous owner) I had plenty of "space" for sanding.

Thx

Mike Phillips
11-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Mike

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I mean about Rupes X Cut Sanding Discs not pads (typing error) so you were in right direction.

Check.

I am working on a VW Golf 2005. hood as there are lots of scratches causes by the owner when he try to remove some spillage with scotch brite side of dishes sponge together with some dishes abrasive liquid (in my country it is called Arf and it is very abrasive and used for inox dishes washing).

As there is a lot of clear coat (hood was repainted by previous owner) I had plenty of "space" for sanding.

Thx

Good to hear... more paint is better when it comes to sanding....

:)

ARTB155
11-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Btw. few days ago I received your book about Rupes Polishing System and it is great - probably first in my country Croatia :-)...

Now looking for your other books to add to my collection.

Mike Phillips
11-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Btw. few days ago I received your book about Rupes Polishing System and it is great - probably first in my country Croatia :-)...

Now looking for your other books to add to my collection.

Thank you!

It takes a lot of thinking work to write a book. It's real easy for everyone to post their opinion on a car detailing topic... try compiling an entire book filled with your opinion and then putting it out on the market for peer review worldwide.

Perhaps consider writing a short testimony and send it to Nick for the Autogeek store. Testimonies help others to decide whether or not to go for it.

Nick@Autogeek.net

ARTB155
11-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Done...Nick will soon recive my email...so lets back on topic :-)..

pepeleascov
06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
[...]

You need to maintain pad rotation.

So mark your backing plate so your eyes can see pad rotation and then adjust the speed dial as needed to maintain pad rotation.

So, this applies when I'm sanding with those 9mm orbit machines, too? I need to increase the speed until the sanding disc starts to rotate? Or this only applies when compounding / polishing?

Mike Phillips
06-19-2017, 12:02 PM
So, this applies when I'm sanding with those 9mm orbit machines, too?

I need to increase the speed until the sanding disc starts to rotate? Or this only applies when compounding / polishing?

My experience is you want to see pad rotation for effective sanding or paint leveling.

If the sanding disc is simply vibrating against the paint then "yes" it will remove paint because pointy sharp particles of grit when pressed against car paint and jiggled are going to have an effect.

But rotation of pointy sharp particles of grit when pressed against car paint will remove paint faster and my guess is leave a much more uniform sanding mark pattern for buffing out.

What are you working on?

What tool are you sanding with?

What sanding discs are you using?