PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating vs opti coat 2.0

Jrocket
12-15-2013, 05:50 PM
which of these products would you purchase if only buying one?

I am looking to make a purchase tonight.

the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating does grab my attention since it can coat glass and all.

However I believe the opti coat can coat everything besides the windshield correct?

anyone have experience with both products?

THanks for your help!!!!!

SuperGlide
12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
I have used the Opti-Coat 2.0 many times and would buy that product for the longevity alone. Opti is permanent protection and I believe the Black Label is 3 years.

ScottB
12-15-2013, 05:58 PM
I think either are great choices and should offer long term protection.

cardaddy
12-15-2013, 07:47 PM
PBL can coat everything if you buy the all in one version, including the glass. The dedicated versions I have and they do work as advertised. Don't know if they are any better or worse than the all-in-one, (just different), but if shine is what you want, they will more than provide that.

FWIW, I've done 2 vehicles with the 4oz bottle of PBL paint coating and will get at least 1 more. I WOULD NOT however say that the 5 vehicle per bottle thing could happen. Not as I'm seeing it.

Also, I tend not to use the foam applicator. I still use the Car-Pro suede cloth applicators like with cQuartz. I buy the larger 16x16 cloth 10 pack and can make 160 of them for $19.99 rather than pay $12.99 for 10 little 4x4 applicators. :) And... they use a LOT less product than the yellow foam does.

Although.... for some reason I don't mind using the foam applicator on the glass. Still a 4oz bottle, but nowhere NEAR as much area to cover. :)

At the end of the day PBL coatings are still a steal compared to single use bottles whether it's resin or quartz based.

UglyBetty
12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
PBL can coat everything if you buy the all in one version, including the glass. The dedicated versions I have and they do work as advertised. Don't know if they are any better or worse than the all-in-one, (just different), but if shine is what you want, they will more than provide that.

FWIW, I've done 2 vehicles with the 4oz bottle of PBL paint coating and will get at least 1 more. I WOULD NOT however say that the 5 vehicle per bottle thing could happen. Not as I'm seeing it.

Also, I tend not to use the foam applicator. I still use the Car-Pro suede cloth applicators like with cQuartz. I buy the larger 16x16 cloth 10 pack and can make 160 of them for $19.99 rather than pay $12.99 for 10 little 4x4 applicators. :) And... they use a LOT less product than the yellow foam does.

Although.... for some reason I don't mind using the foam applicator on the glass. Still a 4oz bottle, but nowhere NEAR as much area to cover. :)

At the end of the day PBL coatings are still a steal compared to single use bottles whether it's resin or quartz based.

Thanks for the tip on applicator!

ZeroSP
12-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Both will be great, and could not agree more on the suede cloth

Tato
12-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi.

I've never used opti coat, but as you've said, I was 'grabbed' by PBL surface coating and ordered it right away with PBL Cleansing polish.

It's easy to apply (just took time to apply even and perfect), but the results are outstanding.

The last time I've applied it (yesterday, silver honda fit 2013), I've used it even on plastics, I mean, I've covered the entire car (paint / metal/chrome / glass / wheels and whatever 'passed my way').

The car was washed, clayed and polished with PBL polish just before coating application. The whole process was easier than polishing and applying a wax.

While applying, you may not believe that small sprayed quantity would make any effect, but trust me, slickest than a sealant applied topped with a carnauba wax. The feel it gives to the paint is incredible, 'addicting' to touch.

3 years durability is pretty fair, I'm sure after 1-2-3 years you'll like to polish and coat your car again, so being PERMANENT or with 3 years durability is not a difference worth considering, in my opinion. It's different if comparing 3-6 months from a wax/sealant.

Nothing lasts forever, we all know that.

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
+ 1 on using the suede cloths, they soak up less than the foam applicators in my opinion.

SuperGlide
12-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Opti can also be applied to all exterior surfaces (chrome, plastics, etc.) with the option to still machine polish without removing the product. This is where the permanent part helps, meaning it won't wear off in a few years. I've used it on windows or anything else in my path with outstanding results, but they do make a window treatment as well if your not comfortable with that. This is just my experience and opinion.

I'm going to test the Black Label coating soon. It's just the three year protection thing doesn't make sense to me since you can polish the opti to freshen it up making it more practical but you can't With Black Label or you have to reapply the product. Seems like it would cost more in the long run for the same results.

Jrocket
12-16-2013, 05:46 PM
I am really wanting to try the diamond surface coating but even at a 100 bucks vs what I can currently pay for the opti coat and it being permanent it just seems the way to go.. going to be doing my bosses car first and then trying it out on mine.o

is the dp polish the way to go for polish/cleaning before applying opti coat?

Btw thanks for all the opinions and your help:props:

I have been absent alot over the last couple months.. nice to know the geek hasnt changed much and everyone is still so willing to help each other out.

LOVE THIS FORUM!

- John

Tato
12-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi,

As stated on PBL Cleansing Polish page:
Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/black-label-polish.html)

'Use Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish as part of your maintenance program for your preferred paint, wheel, or glass coating products. Thanks to its non-abrasive formula, the polish won’t abrade the surface, thus preserving the layer of protection created by the coating. It will remove staining and embedded dirt that has accumulated over time, rejuvenating the shine and boosting the impressive water-sheeting characteristics of the coating.'

Nice considerations about Permanent vs 3 years durability though.

Kind Regards.

scienceguy
12-16-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't believe it's easy to answer the question, "which one would you buy if you could only have one?" without any context.

I think a more appropriate question would be, what are you looking for/expecting from applying a coating? Looks, durability, protection, etc.? From there I think people could better inform you what they might believe would be the best suited product. Also if you search through some of the previous coating threads you can see the pros/cons others have experienced from specific products, and which ones they thought 'look' better, bead/sheet better, are easier to apply, more durable, feel slicker, more/less susceptible to water spotting, or what have you.

And as I'm sure you know, no coating will be the best at everything or be the magic bullet that will keep a car clean and swirl and scratch-free without proper upkeep. :xyxthumbs:

Jrocket
12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
First off.. Thanks for all the opinions!!

Well after a long night of thinking things through I pulled the trigger on PBL Diamond Surface Coating

I also ordered the carpro suede cloths as suggested as well as the 2 pack lake country applicator for Windshields and rims.

I think this will fit the bill best for me as I now have 3 people from my office who want their cars fully coated where as fully coating 2 full size suv'sI figured that's about all the opti coat would cover.

Going to start w/ my Fiance's new Jeep. then do my bosses and then on to a few co-workers.

I like the fact that this bottle will cover all of there cars. Far more profitable.

I'm still very interested in the OC 2.0 and may still place an order for it when my new 2014 Lexus GS350 Fsport arrives.. But I'm going to see how the Diamond Surface Coating turns out first. I may Just stick with it.

Also ordered Cquartz Fabric and Leather Coating and I have another TufShine kit w/ the tire clearcoat.

From this point forward I'm going to strictly offer Coatings for vehicles. Since this is now a side gig again and I have a good past clientele I think most of them will look forward to the switch and less maint work for me!!

Expect everything to be in Friday and It's supposed to be Sunny and about 70 degrees in FL...

I will def be posting pics and a small review.. stay tuned:props:

Tato
12-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Hello, nice to hear from you.

You won't regret. I'm also leaning toward to offer only coatings from now on, thanks on easy of use and effectiveness of PBL coatings.

I hardly recommend for you to do at least one of your vehicles (or a hood at least) before offering to coat other people's car. It's easy to apply no doubt, but it's somewhat 'tricky'. You have to get the felling for that.

Hope you've ordered 32oz of DP Coating Prep Polish to take care of all vehicles you're going to coat.

By my experience (ok, it's not huge!), 8oz of PBL Cleansing Polish is far away not enough for the 8oz PBL Surface Coating.

Another recommendation is for you to test Preping Polish Both by Hand (use a MF applicator) or by machine (use a polishing pad).

I say this because depending on temperature, Preping Polish may dry fast and cause some dusting by machine, which is not desirable when you want to finish down right away with the coat.

I mean, any dust on crevices and residues have to be removed, and you'll have additional work removing that dust.

For application, I've found it easier with round yellow foam applicators (like I've saw Mike Phillips applying somewhere) than the LC applicators. This is another reason I'm telling you to test on your vehicle before offering to others. Try to decide which way is better for you to apply.

I haven't bought the PBL shampoo yet (I'm from Brazil, to worth any order at AG I have to spend at least $200-$300 every time), but it may be really interesting if you pretend to offer maintenance for the cars you've coated.

Looks like 8oz goes a long way, it's extremely concentrated. For now, I'm using conventional 'wash & wax' shampoo' without any adverse effects I can notice (at the 'macroscopic level ;) )

If there is any topic I couldn't cover here, or if you want to talk more about it, please, feel free to ask / contest anything I've said.

I'm also learning, and I always try to do the best I can on my detailing part-time job. All information we can share is very valuable.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.

SuperGlide
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Good luck! Glad you found the product
That fits your needs.