PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help Determining What This Tire Dressing Is!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-14-2013, 07:53 PM
The product was used by a dealership.

It was an absolutely PIA to remove and ruined 3 towels and probably both brushes.

Here is the aftermath:

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Solvent-Based-Tire-Dressing-Microfiber-Towels-1.jpg

3 Towels Front And Back.

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Solvent-Based-Tire-Dressing-Tire-Brush-3.jpg

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Solvent-Based-Tire-Dressing-Tire-Brush-1.jpg

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Solvent-Based-Tire-Dressing-Tire-Brush-2.jpg

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Solvent-Based-Tire-Dressing-Tire-Brush-5.jpg

It's very oily and was extremely shiny when on the tires.

My guess is it is solvent/silicone based or both?

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Could it have been turtle wax black tire coat? If it was and you removed you are the man.

spiralout462
12-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Griot's Garage Long Lasting Tire Dressing makes my bushes look similar.

staat.t
12-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Could it have been turtle wax black tire coat? If it was and you removed you are the man.

Are you implying that this is a bad tire coating? (Just out of curiosity)That's what I have on mine as of right now and I haven't applied any for the last 3 months and they are still going strong provided it's a winter wonderland here in michigan. I like the fact it's dry to the touch after 5 min.

bsmith0404
12-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Hard to say, there are so many silicone based gel dressings that do the exact same thing. They look like glue when you're trying to scrub them off. The stuff slings everywhere, and collects every piece of dust and dirt that comes close to them. Dealerships use them because they are cheap, last a long time, and look good on the lot. Definitely a pain to get it off. I typically have to clean the tire 2-3 times to get it all and have a clean uniform appearance. Even when you think they're clean, you step back and there's a spot you missed. They should outlaw that stuff, it's been known to cause temporary insanity in detailers.

ScottB
12-14-2013, 08:12 PM
cheap silicone based dressing likely ....try using ARO (Amazing Roll Off) and stiff brush

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Hard to say, there are so many silicone based gel dressings that do the exact same thing. They look like glue when you're trying to scrub them off. The stuff slings everywhere, and collects every piece of dust and dirt that comes close to them. Dealerships use them because they are cheap, last a long time, and look good on the lot. Definitely a pain to get it off. I typically have to clean the tire 2-3 times to get it all and have a clean uniform appearance. Even when you think they're clean, you step back and there's a spot you missed. They should outlaw that stuff, it's been known to cause temporary insanity in detailers.

So would it be water or solvent based silicone dressing? Any way to tell?

cheap silicone based dressing likely ....try using ARO (Amazing Roll Off) and stiff brush

I got it all off with APC and detailer's road kill.

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't know if it is good or bad (its too shiny for me I like a matte finish). My neighbor loves it but I do know it is very, very hard to remove.

Are you implying that this is a bad tire coating? (Just out of curiosity)That's what I have on mine as of right now and I haven't applied any for the last 3 months and they are still going strong provided it's a winter wonderland here in michigan. I like the fact it's dry to the touch after 5 min.

parttimer
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Maybe proshine?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Bill1234
12-14-2013, 08:22 PM
want to get it off, try meguiars all wheel and tire cleaner !

bsmith0404
12-14-2013, 08:24 PM
So would it be water or solvent based silicone dressing? Any way to tell?

Not sure if there is a way to tell, but I think most, if not all are water based these days. Solvent based dressings like Armor All back in the 80s would dry out rubber and cause it to crack. Solvent based dressings also dried quickly. This stuff seams to be tacky for quite a while...Come to think of it, that may be an indicator for distinguishing between the two.

Mike lambert
12-14-2013, 08:36 PM
The cheapest thing they can buy! Solvent based for sure! They buy that crap by the drum. It is a real pain to remove!

VP Mark
12-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Looks like Hot Stuff from CarBrite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

bsmith0404
12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Like I said...a lot of different dressings act the same way evidenced by the responses from people who have seen/experienced this with different dressings. No way to know for sure what it is, just be glad it's gone.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Not sure if there is a way to tell, but I think most, if not all are water based these days. Solvent based dressings like Armor All back in the 80s would dry out rubber and cause it to crack. Solvent based dressings also dried quickly. This stuff seams to be tacky for quite a while...Come to think of it, that may be an indicator for distinguishing between the two.

The cheapest thing they can buy! Solvent based for sure! They buy that crap by the drum. It is a real pain to remove!

Like I said...a lot of different dressings act the same way evidenced by the responses from people who have seen/experienced this with different dressings. No way to know for sure what it is, just be glad it's gone.

Thanks for the help, I wasn't looking for a specific product but more of the composition of the product (solvent,silicon, etc).

:dblthumb2: