PDA

View Full Version : Would like some adivce on Jeep Hardtop

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 12:51 PM
I have a 2003 Jeep Rubicon with a black hardtop. someone was kind enough to put some wax on the top on a nice hot day. Now I have white wax residue down in the texture of the black top (looks as bad as it sounds). What in your opinion would be the best technique and products to remove the wax (I think it was Mequiars Gold class paste wax or liquid wax) please leave a product and technique. Also what is the best product in your opinion to protect the top if the future that won't be a mess later. Thank you for you help in resolving this problem.

swanicyouth
12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Is it plastic or vinyl?

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 12:59 PM
That is a great question. I myself lean toward fiberglass but I have never got an definitive answer from someone I trust.

Is it plastic or vinyl?

swanicyouth
12-14-2013, 01:32 PM
The best stuff out there to clean plastic IMHO is 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner or Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner, assuming the top is some type of plastic. I would use a cotton towel to try to scrub the wax off. IME a brush won't work as well. I would coat it with DLux if it's the type of material I think it is.

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks a bunch!

The best stuff out there to clean plastic IMHO is 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner or Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner, assuming the top is some type of plastic. I would use a cotton towel to try to scrub the wax off. IME a brush won't work as well. I would coat it with DLux if it's the type of material I think it is.

MPBGT
12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
My brother has a jeep with a tan hard top. I used ultima trim and tire guard with pretty good success.
His top is like a pebble texture plastic. It's a 99 so I'm not sure if yours would be the same.

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks! 99 and 03 are the same. Actually 97 through 06 are the same.

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-14-2013, 02:48 PM
100 % sure it is textured fiberglass, I used CarPro Dlux.

wlshephard
12-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks x2

100 % sure it is textured fiberglass, I used CarPro Dlux.

wlshephard
12-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.

Mike Phillips
12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
My brother has a jeep with a tan hard top. I used Ultima trim and tire guard with pretty good success.

His top is like a pebble texture plastic. It's a 99 so I'm not sure if yours would be the same.

Key word above is LIKE

The top surface material or coating is "like" some type of pebble textured plastic. I'm not sure what it is but when new it has a matte or dull finish to it and it should NOT be waxed with a car wax or sealant designed for a smooth glossy paint or you'll see what you're seeing now.

The UTT applied with a something like a terry cloth wash rag and a whole lot of elbow grease should "help" to remove the old wax staining residue and in the process restore a rich, natural sheen.

If this works, then stay on top of it...

100 % sure it is textured fiberglass,

Of some sorts....

definitely textured and likely some type of polyester resin or cousin thereof.

I used CarPro Dlux.

I used this product on the Red Lady (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/71247-lady-red-1986-porsche-4-step-process.html) and it really works well and looks great on matte surfaces.

The key here is to find something that works and then use it often, that is apply it on a regular basis to maintain the appearance and "health" of the substance whatever it is.

If you don't already, find a good Jeep Forum and do some checking, one of their Guru's should know EXACTLY what these tops are made from or coated with.

Also, a painter at a Jeep Dealership might be able to tell you. Stop by a large Jeep Dealership and ask to talk to the painter.

Is this an example of a car manufacturer putting out a product their customer base cannot work on without a clue provided by the manufacturer?

:dunno:

wlshephard
12-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks Mike I will do that and post what I find out.

DazzleFX
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Good info on this thread. Just what I was looking for. I don't have Dlux yet but its on my wishlist. I will test perl & opti-bond see how it work out.