PDA

View Full Version : About to use some Collinite 845 in an hour. Any tips?

brondondolon
12-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Hey guys so i never got a chance to winterize my parents hummer before the snow came. So now that the snow has melted enough to work in the drive way im gonna throw some wax on it. After reading ive found that every one has a different opinion on how to apply it. Its not my truck and frankly my parents are old and really dont care about their truck looking nice so im not going to break my back detailing it like i would with my truck. So here is how i was going to approach it.It was covered in salt so i took it to a drive through car wash (like i said im not going to break my back on their car) i was just going to squirt some on my 6" orbital buffer and do the whole truck in one pass. Will that be fine? Or will i end up breaking my back trying to remove all the residue with this way? Also its about 40 degrees out side.

Thanks guys :)

Wendell Jarvis
12-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Apply very thin layers.....Great Wax

Hazcat
12-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a recipe for swirls and scratches. It might be better to leave it alone until it can be washed properly even if that's next spring. Remember most damage is inflicted by the owners and improper washing. You can add improper waxing to that list as well. Your parents sound like a great candidate for a coating on their hummer. Wait until you can wash it, polish, wipe it down with paint prep and apply a nano coating that will last them a year or two. Then the rain can wash it for them occasionally. Grinding in existing dirt with a polisher now doesn't sound beneficial unless you do a rinseless wash first. Rinseless wash and wax would be a great idea.

DetailedTaco
12-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a recipe for swirls and scratches. It might be better to leave it alone until it can be washed properly even if that's next spring. Remember most damage is inflicted by the owners and improper washing. You can add improper waxing to that list as well. Your parents sound like a great candidate for a coating on their hummer. Wait until you can wash it, polish, wipe it down with paint prep and apply a nano coating that will last them a year or two. Then the rain can wash it for them occasionally. Grinding in existing dirt with a polisher now doesn't sound beneficial unless you do a rinseless wash first. Rinseless wash and wax would be a great idea.

:iagree:

UglyBetty
12-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Personally, I would at a minimum hand wash and clay it before waxing it, but it's your prerogative on how to do it.

To answer your 845 question, put the bottle in a sink of warm / hot water for 20-30 minutes and shake vigorously.

Spread super thin, one bottle will easily do 10-15 applications depending on the vehicle. I usually wax two panels, then wipe off before moving on to the next panel.

tpr1634
12-13-2013, 03:27 PM
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. I also would wash by hand and where the temps are or at least here on the east coast I would wait.

KS_Detailing
12-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Nick's thread on #845 should answer all your questions. Put it in a bucket of hot water for 15-20mins, shake well and apply thin. You will be surprised how far a little bit will go.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

pointillistic_practitioner
12-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Personally, I would at a minimum hand wash and clay it before waxing it, but it's your prerogative on how to do it.

To answer your 845 question, put the bottle in a sink of warm / hot water for 20-30 minutes and shake vigorously.

Spread super thin, one bottle will easily do 10-15 applications depending on the vehicle. I usually wax two panels, then wipe off before moving on to the next panel.

^ this. If its been washed at swirlonatic already, at least clay it first. Then apply a THIN coat of wax just for protection. Do it when you have time. Or, if you want super quick, go pick up some optiseal (set it and forget it-no buffing out)... But with optiseal you must follow directions... If it streaks at all ur using too much. I compounded out my new to me Bmw and it needs a polish but frankly I haven't had time/energy... Been sick a few times and have too much else to do. So I optisealed it for winter but ONLY after washing/valuing. Could've optisealed the oxidized finish til spring but felt like at least compounding. I will tackle polishing next spring/this winter break. All ill need to do is strip optiseal, polish, and then I'll apply PbL coating. In any case, ur in a similar situation for me for time being. I also clean the parents cars and frankly dad does not appreciate the time/effort I put Into doing it right... Still disregards two bucket system, reaches for old rags to wash, disregards wheels except for quick wipe... So I told him I wouldn't polish it anymore if he didn't want to maintain it lol. So I do was/wax /clay for him but don't go crazy. So I see your point, but you'll def at least want to wash&clay first. gl!

Justin M.
12-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Nick's thread on #845 should answer all your questions. Put it in a bucket of hot water for 15-20mins, shake well and apply thin. You will be surprised how far a little bit will go.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

Just do as the others have said...and read that thread.

The 845 should be in *liquid* form after warming and shaking the bottle. That is one thing that threw me off the first time I used it ('cause you open the lid to see the thick pasty wax).

brondondolon
12-13-2013, 04:50 PM
yeah im not going to go through all that on their car that they dont even care about. Im not going for show quality i just wanted to throw some wax on it so the paint doesnt oxidize or anything. I ended up doing it by hand and i guess i put a little to heavy of a coat because it wasnt easy to get off. all in all though it looks better then it did before the paint is protected better then it was and they are happy with it and on top of all that i finally got to use it for the first time since my truck has been in the shop for almost a mo.

oldmodman
12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Apply very thin layers.....Great Wax

This is all that needs to be said.:props:

Klasse Act
12-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Get the #845 to liquid form by running warm water over the bottle or letting it soak in a bowl of hot water. Also, apply thinnly and don't be afraid to apply to the entire car and then remove. Also, apply it to the windows too, works great!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online