PDA

View Full Version : Products that attract more dust

duffmancantbrea
12-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Hey guys!

For some reason, there is quite a bit of dust in the driveway of my new home. I didn't have much when I used to park on the street at my old place.

So I've used quite a few LSP's over the past few months, and I've noticed that a certain few tends to attract more dust than others.

Poorboys Nattys Red - Normal dusting, pretty much as expected
Finish Kare Hi Temp Wax - Normal dusting
Blacklight / Hybrid V7 - Normal dusting

Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Protection - ALOT of dusting, when I came back home after a few days long business trip the car was coated
Pinnacle Souveran - Quite a bit of dusting after just one day

Anyone else have experience with these products and can chime in? Maybe suggest one that doesn't attract much? Thanks!

Znig22
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Just foam cannon rinse it and blow it dry.

BrandonS
12-12-2013, 08:57 PM
I did not have any dusting with bfwd. In fact I have my truck sitting in the garage for 6 weeks with zero dust on it. Before I started using bfwd I could see dust on it in one day. Maybe there was a dust storm?

aim4squirrels
12-12-2013, 09:06 PM
This is a tough one to overcome.

While there are chemicals out there that are more prone to dust collection (I find traditional waxes by themselves to collect more dust as there is a film residue even after a wipe down) basically, the act of rubbing any chemical with a towel over your paint will produce static electricity that makes dust collect on your vehicle.

There's a few things you could try.

Use LSPs that wipe away with little or no effort. Less rubbing means less friction and less static.

I find after a buff out of wax or sealant, using a little QD on a towel for a final wipe helps a bunch, and it makes the paint "pop" just a bit more. Water helps neutralize static, so I'd wager it's the water in the QD rather than some magic chemical that does it.

Driving also causes the air to flow across the car and create static electricity along the surface due to molecular friction. Running a ground strap from a known good ground location on the frame or transmission to the ground can help mitigate the static charge and should help keep it a little cleaner. A massive benefit to running a ground strap is that in the dry winter air, you won't get the bejesus shocked out of you when you reach for the handle each morning to open the door.

ScottB
12-12-2013, 09:10 PM
could it be the oils in a traditional 'nuba wax versus the ingredients used in sealants and coatings ???

FinishKare offers several products with an anti-static ingredient which might reduce some of your dust collection.

cleanmycorolla
12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
dust attraction is caused by the towel you use to wipe off your lsp's....

Choop145
12-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I always felt that Pinnacle Waterless Wash attracted dust. I just got the Blackfire Waterless, i'll let you know how that goes. I've read somewhere on here that Finish Kare 425 is good with dust.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/50178-product-review-finish-kare-425-extra-slick-final-body-shine.html

I know its not an LSP, but maybe you can top it with this

PiPUK
12-13-2013, 04:30 AM
Has been discussed elsewhere. Basically the issue is that the LSP products tend to be highly insulating and thus static charge (as produced by things like buffing and also environmental effects) cannot dissipate. Some LSPs are worse than others and there are additives which can minimise the effect. At a guess, I would expect waxes to be worst, at least in part because they will tend to be thicker (especially by the time they are layered).

BillE
12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Has been discussed elsewhere. Basically the issue is that the LSP products tend to be highly insulating and thus static charge (as produced by things like buffing and also environmental effects) cannot dissipate. Some LSPs are worse than others and there are additives which can minimise the effect. At a guess, I would expect waxes to be worst, at least in part because they will tend to be thicker (especially by the time they are layered).

Like a capacitor?

Bill

Centexhokie
12-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I had the same problem at my office with dust. I started using FK425 as a QD after washing my car and have cut the dust substantially. It is supposed to be anti-static and I can say that it works for me.