PDA

View Full Version : Would you mix? XMT360 and M205

Tato
12-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello all, thank you for sharing this thought,

I need to do a one-step, but I've got better correction from M205 (white pad), which made me go through 2 steps to achieve the desired finish.

Step 1 was M205 white 5.5 flat polishing pad
Step 2 was XMT360 same pad (new one) as 'final polish / seal'

Stepping up to orange pad with XMT would also obligate me to do a second step because I didn't like the finish.

So I was thinking if I could mix some M205 with XMT360 (prime with XMT, use M205 or the opposite, or 50/50, 75/25 mix) and do a 'boosted' 1 step with the white polishing pad I like so much...

Sorry for asking, what do you think about it?

For doing 2 steps, I would use M205 and a wax or sealant, but I want just 1 step, and would like it could be XMT360 (I like the way it finishes and seals). It only need a bit more abrasives...

Can I make this a one step? Will M205 mess up with XMT cleanup and seal features?

I also know manufactures only recommend their products (for the best result) using as intended, I agree with them and understand their means.

I also can do a test spot, but I would like to go for practice after discussing theory first.

In future, it'll be possible for me to order another AIO (like Blackfire), but today I have to deal with what I have in hands.

Thank you very much in advance.

Please, do not try to read me literally, I'm brazilian and have difficult to express myself plentiful in another language. If you have a question, do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards.

rmagnus
12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Guess it doesn't hurt to try a test spot. M205 finishes down wonderfully as a polish you could always top it with a spray wax which technically would be two steps but the spray wax step would be very quick.

If you like M205 try their one step D151 for a truely one step polish and wax.
Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html)

weekendwarrior
12-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Do you have a test panel (detached from car) or a car no one cares about to test on? I'd do that first, no risk. See how products behave together.

The abrasiveness of M205 may change....the abrasiveness of 205 may not allow 360 to seal....M205 may be difficult to remove if it sets too long with 30 as sealant...if you can test on something you don't care about that would be step 1.

You may end up needing 2 steps or buying this:
Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html)

EDIT: beaten to the punch...

Tato
12-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Guess it doesn't hurt to try a test spot. M205 finishes down wonderfully as a polish you could always top it with a spray wax which technically would be two steps but the spray wax step would be very quick.

Hey, nice one! I'll absolutely do this combination when possible, thank you for suggestion.

If you like M205 try their one step D151 for a truely one step polish and wax.

Will give it a try for sure, also, I'll search more about spray wax or even spray sealant, I want to rush but don't want to lose in quality. Your advice is precious.

Do you have a test panel (detached from car) or a car no one cares about to test on? I'd do that first, no risk. See how products behave together.

The abrasiveness of M205 may change....the abrasiveness of 205 may not allow 360 to seal....M205 may be difficult to remove if it sets too long with 360 as sealant...if you can test on something you don't care about that would be step 1.

You may end up needing 2 steps or buying this:

EDIT: beaten to the punch...

Hi, thank you. No test panel, but I always have my own car bumper. It won't hurt.

I agree with both answers I need to test it, but maybe step up to D151 as recommended by you two (no pun intended lol).

I was afraid to ask, but thankfully I was brave enough and did it. Learned a lot from you guys, thank you.

PS: The color of D151 reminds me of XMT360 diluted with M205 hahaha

Kind Regards.