PDA

View Full Version : An idea for cleaning wheels using ONR and...

Harry Da Hamster
12-12-2013, 12:43 AM
I feel uneasy doing it, but sometimes when i do a rinseless wash i clean my wheels with left over ONR solution and QD strength ONR in a spray bottle. It doesn't seem to have the same lubricity as surfactant based cleaners. Which leads me to my question. Does anyone use a wheel cleaner like Mothers Foaming Wheel Cleaner, CarPro IronX, CG Citrus Sticky Wheel Gel, or even a solution of car wash soap and water in a spray bottle first then use a rinseless wash to clean up with no running water?

jamesboyy
12-12-2013, 02:31 AM
The key is to keep the wheels sealed or wax and clean weekly or bi weekly if cold out then just use ONR or wheel cleaner of choice clean the wheel like normal then use a spray bottle of water to rinse the wheels if the barrels still have suds then take a bucket of water with a long reach brush and rinse the barral like that the dry with air......good luck

07gtcs
12-13-2013, 04:35 PM
If the wheels are very dirty i will spray with a wheel cleaner, use my daytona brush, then go over the whole wheel with a wheel brush dunked in my rinseless solution. Usually takes a couple of dunks into the buck before I feel I have the wheel cleaner off. Then dry with a MF towel.

Klasse Act
12-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Just pre-treat the wheels w/ ONR solution, let it sit and then spray your wheel cleaner on the wheels and either use your mf glove and/or brushes to clean the wheel real good. Also, good time to spray your favorite tire cleaner onto the tires, once again scrub w/ that brush and when all done, dunk that mf glove into the ONR solution, keeping the glove soaked and rinse down that way, no issues!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

DRT BRD
12-13-2013, 06:42 PM
I use ONR if they aren't bad. If they are, wheel cleaner, brush, rinse with water in chem sprayer. Magic.

Romans5.8
12-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I think it depends on the car too. A hard-driven german sports car vs. a domestic daily driver may affect what you do. BUT; I have had luck with weekly (at least) waterless washing my wheels. I have a couple of dedicated wheel towels, saturate with WW solution and wipe down gently. Makes them look 'pretty good', and I just don't worry about the wheel barrels or anything else until I can wash them 'the right way'.

At least, that's what works for me, my car, and my wheels. YMMV! I just figure I can get them 90% clean and looking good if I keep up with it that way, and not ruin towels, scratch my painted rims, etc.

Here in a week or two though I'm gonna pull all of my wheels off and give them a nice deep clean, seal, wax, etc. Maybe paint the calipers while I'm at it- hehe :)

The Critic
12-14-2013, 12:02 AM
I would clean and treat the wheels with opticoat if you absolutely had to go waterless for cleaning.

For routine cleaning, I've recently switched to Meguiars D140 diluted 3:1 and wheel woolies. Even the dirtiest wheel faces and barrels are cleaned in a min or two.

SANTA3013
12-14-2013, 12:15 AM
If the wheels are maintained I use leftover ONR after finishing that vehicle. If the wheels are not maintained then I use a wheel cleaner.

ZeroSP
12-14-2013, 01:48 PM
I use ONR to wash entire vehicle, but the rims since it is Opti Coated... No problem with just plain water, and I am on 800 degrees racing pads which produces a lot of dust.

Klasse Act
12-14-2013, 02:09 PM
My wheels are sealed with Collinite #476 and cleaning with leftover rinseless is a breeze, also helps I have a nice and simple 6 spoke design too!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Harry Da Hamster
12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the idea fellas.

My wheels are always sealed and clean up is always a breeze, that's not the problem. I was concerned if ONR at wash and QD strength is enough to prevent the abrasive brake dust from scratching the glossy finish of my wheels. Or if i use a surfactant wheel cleaner first, if ONR is sufficient at cleaning any remaining surfactant wheel cleaner residue.