PDA

View Full Version : New(ish) to detailing, want to drive great looking cars!

CaseySATX
12-10-2013, 01:28 PM
(I apologize in advance for the length!)

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while, trying to decide what I really need and what is going to give me the best results. Decided I should join and ask if what I've compiled will do the trick for me!

I wouldn't say I am 100% new to detailing - I've waxed my cars since I was 15, of course :dunno: - but through reading threads here and other sites and watching YouTube videos of the pros, I've realized that the techniques and tools I have been using just aren't enough. I stopped the circular waxing motions that my dad taught me when I was a teenager in the 90s, moving on to straight line motions. But I've now learned that I was even doing that wrong. LOL. I wasn't actually working the product into the paint; I would just do one swipe all over the car, wait for it to dry, and wipe it off.

Last year I purchased a Zaino kit and I was kind of happy with the results achieved by hand, but not overly impressed. The cars looked shiny... but that's about it. There are still swirls and some scratches. I used Z-PC, but now that I've learned that it probably won't do anything by just wiping it on in one swipe and then wiping it off after it dries. :doh:

So, I've decided to take the next step. I've yet to use a machine to polish, but my wife is getting me one for X-mas. I'd like to try a different product (am leaning toward Wolfgang products), but I need to use up the Zaino I already spend $125 on before I buy anything else! So, keeping in mind that I have a budget I need to stick to, here's what I've come up with for products to buy and the procedure I want to follow:

Harbor Freight DA polisher
Astro Pneumatic 4607 5" PU Velcro Backing Pad
Meguiar's DMC6-2PK 6" DA Microfiber Cutting Disc, (Pack of 2)
Lake Country 6.5" White CCS pad (2)
Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Already have Zaino Z-PC, ZFX, Z-2 and Z-5

Cars:
2007 Toyota Camry SE (silver)
2006 Chrysler Pacifica Touring Signature Edition (black)

The Camry has some pretty bad scratches from the lemmings working at The Wash Tub trying to get tree sap off the roof with their dirty rags. (I got lazy last summer and took the car to be washed :o)

The Pacifica has some bad scratches on the hood.. I assume from the Chrysler dealer my dad took it to (we just bought it from my parents in Sept.) wiping grease off the hood or something... who knows.

So, what I plan to do is:
- Meg's UC on MF cutting pad to get out the scraches,
- Polish out the swirls with Z-PC on the white CCS pad
- 2 coats Z-5 w/ZFX (Z-6 in between)
- 1 coat of Z-2 w/ZFX

I will try to post pics of the scratches so you guys know what I'm working with, but it's too cold to wash right now.. only 34 in San Antonio!

What do you all think?

weekendwarrior
12-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Are you going to clay bar them first? Th Mother's clay bar kit is a good start for $20. Will make a big difference. Tip (if funds are an issue): if you are going to polish the car after you wash & clay, you can save a bit on the lube and use your soap as lubricant for clay bar job, then polish right after drying.

CaseySATX
12-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I just clayed the Pacifica in October, so probably not that one. I clayed the Camry in February or March and spot clayed again in November to remove the aforementioned tree sap (The Wash Tub didn't remove it and only left scratches! Took me about 30 seconds to remove with clay.). Wouldn't hurt to go over the Camry again with the unused clay I still have.

hernandez.art13
12-10-2013, 01:56 PM
If I was going to get a kit. I would go with this one. (just me though)

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html

And just pick up 2 polishing pads

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-combo.html
^ And for clay

The soaps, waxes you could pick up your local auto parts store

http://www.autogeekmobile.net/grguinye.html

^ and some grit guards. The buckets you can buy them at HomeDepot. I bought 2 white and 1 black (for wheels and tires)

CaseySATX
12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for those tips. :xyxthumbs:

I actually have a few more items on my shopping list that I didn't mention because I'm pretty confident in this part of the list...

- 1 white and 1 black bucket (home depot, good idea!) - already have a red one I've been using for clean water
- (2) grit guards
- Griot's Garage 15704 Micro Fiber Wheel Wand, (Pack of 2)
- Zwipes Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (36-Pack) Assorted Colors (I have about 10 MF towels now, but I need more!)
- (2) 10-1/2" Automotive Cleaning Brush w/ Dense Solvent Resistant Hog Hair Bristles (one for wheels, one for interior)
- New bottles of Zaino Z-6 and Z-7 (wash)

I want to get a wheel cleaner, too, but I haven't decided on which one to get. Also, the Pacifica has chrome wheels and I want to get a wheel cleaner that won't damage the chrome.

a g thang
12-10-2013, 04:06 PM
If you wanna save some money cut out the ziano and buy duragloss it's way cheaper here on AGO. Ziano seems like it just buys duragloss and renames it from what I've noticed.

Sent from Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)rex

CaseySATX
12-10-2013, 05:19 PM
If you wanna save some money cut out the ziano and buy duragloss it's way cheaper here on AGO. Ziano seems like it just buys duragloss and renames it from what I've noticed.

Sent from Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)rex
Will DG's spray wax (#951) successfully substitute for Zaino Z-6 in the application process? That would be pretty cool. Zaino's shipping cost is ridiculous.