PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with lots of questions

makdaddy626
06-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi, I've spent the last week or so browsing the forums and have learned lots already, so THANKS to all!

I have few questions that I haven't really found the answers to yet and was hoping someone could help.

I just purchased a new Tacoma TRD Sport in Black Sand Pearl (black with metal flakes) and want to keep it look it's best. I've been washing with Mag Gold class shampoo but would like to add some protection and shine.

I've ordered KAIO, WGDGPS, WGDGSpritz, Plexus, Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, and various Cobra MF applicators and towels (including the Supreme Guzzler).

First question: How does this production selection sound to everyone? Any major mistakes?

Second question: The grill on the truck is black plastic, what's the best thing to clean and protect it with? Can I use the Plexus here? I don't want a shiny finish on it, just the stock matte look.

Third question: How should I care for the TRD graphics on the back of the truck? Should I tape them off when applying the KAIO and the WGDGPS?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll think of more.

Bags
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Personally I would sub the Plexus for 303 aerospace you can use the 303 on the dash and the grill and a ton of other plastic and leather pieces as well. I olny tape when I am using the machine if you are applying by hand no need to tape. You could use a mix of water and an APC to clean the grill. I have never used any of the WG line but the 4* UPP and AIO are a wicked combo. Welcome to the board and the addiction.

D
06-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Plexus is great on glass and clear plastic like wood trim and gauge cluster. So I wouldnt replace that with 303, what would you use to clean those things with then? 303 is good on exterior plastic though. So thats what Id use on the grill.

You can put the sealant over the graphics.

makdaddy626
06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the information guys. What about the KAIO, can it be applied over the graphics as well?

Bags
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
yes shouldnt be a problem, I use the 303 on my cluster and wood grain, better anti static properties the plexus in my opinion. If its good enough to use on cockpits of fighter jets it works for me.

Thejoyofdriving
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I would get some 303 all purpose cleaner and protectant, great products.

makdaddy626
06-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Ok, you've talked me into it. All order some 303... Anything else on the "HAVE TO HAVE" list?

AL417
06-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi and welcome to AG. I have a Tacoma TRD Off Road and I really like using PB Trim Restore on the grill. I've used several different products and find that the PBTR has worked the best for me. As far as the graphics go I took mine off so I can't help you there.

6LS2
06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I recomend you get some DP MaxWax :)

makdaddy626
06-28-2007, 07:51 PM
DP MaxWax? Why? Would it go over the WGDGPS?

Bags
06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
some here (myself included) will put a layer of wax over a sealant. If you havent noticed there are many products and combos any many people who you only one brand of product and others who use many. I do agree that this detailing thing is mostly process and a little products. You will drive yourself nuts trying to figue out what to put on you truck. This place is almost too helpful. Before you know if youll have spent over 1000 bucks and have a closet devoted just to detailing. Try and find a member n your area who is willing to meet with you or will allow you to come over whiile they are detailing. I msure most will show you what you need to know and may even give you a sample or two.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-28-2007, 09:37 PM
^^ I also put nuba over my sealant almost every time I do my car..

I just like the richness/depth of nubas in general

makdaddy626
06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Any members in the Atlanta area (north) that would be interested in showing me the ropes?

Bags
06-29-2007, 10:45 AM
If Im not mistaken I think Justin is somewhere in Ga. He knows the ropes alright.