PDA

View Full Version : Tinted clear makes me nervous

RFulmer
12-09-2013, 10:59 AM
My current vehicle is the first car I have had with tinted clearcoat. In the past I have had both regular clearcoat and single stage paint. With regular clear you never see what you're taking off the car and you expect to see paint transfer on single stage. But for some reason seeing the tinted clear transfer to my polishing pad bothered me since it is the same color as the cars paint it makes me have that feeling of whoops I went through the clear even though I know I had not.

Mike Phillips
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
I know what you're say...

Just follow the wise practice of using the least aggressive products to get the job done and be sure to always be very careful anytime you're touching the paint, i.e. wiping or washing so you don't instill anything that will cause you to want to abrade the paint to remove it.

Tall order I know...

I'd say anyone that owns a Ceramiclear finish shouldn't get nervous but do be careful and always use the least aggressive product to get the job done.

:)

FUNX650
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I understand your cause for being nervous.

I thought for my first (ad)venture of buffing tinted clear, I'd use Meguiar's M205/UC:
First "by hand" on a few "Test Spots"...before using a polisher (machine).
Surely...that would get the nervousness out of my system.

Nope: Was still nervous; but became 'more aware'. BTW: Who's Shirley?

:)

Bob

SANTA3013
12-09-2013, 11:46 AM
My current vehicle is the first car I have had with tinted clearcoat. In the past I have had both regular clearcoat and single stage paint. With regular clear you never see what you're taking off the car and you expect to see paint transfer on single stage. But for some reason seeing the tinted clear transfer to my polishing pad bothered me since it is the same color as the cars paint it makes me have that feeling of whoops I went through the clear even though I know I had not.

Which vehicle do you have which has tinted clear?

RFulmer
12-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Which vehicle do you have which has tinted clear?

Thanks Mike for replying.

And,

It's a 2014 Ruby Red Ford Focus. Using a 3401 and a HT tangerine pad with Wolfgang I got almost no transfer but wasn't correcting completely. So I moved to an orange pad (everything else the same). Then finished with a finishing pad and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

Anyone know what type of clear this car has? I know it's tinted and it's harder than the clear in my Mini Cooper was. Do all new cars have Ceramiclear?

RFulmer
12-09-2013, 12:25 PM
23665 It came out nice too my the way. This forum and Mikes videos have been a tremendous asset over the years. I'm just an enthusiast.

Romans5.8
12-09-2013, 12:49 PM
My wifes bike has a tinted clear that's a very similar red color. It gets a LOT of compliments- and it also makes me nervous!