PDA

View Full Version : lady luck struck

Pages : [1] 2

kdubski
12-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Was following a pretty busy high end detailer in my area through facebook. He doesn't advertise aside from facebook and is STACKED with mostly exotic cars on a weekly basis. Was out of work for about a month so shot him a message out of desperation. The guy was awsome and invited me over next day to help him out on some exterior details. Needless to say, he was pretty impressed and offered me a job. Gave me the option of an hourly wage if we work side by side or half the pay of a full car if I go and tackle it myself. What do you guys think?
Finally after four years of detailing with only autogeek to backup my technique, it was confirmed by one of the best detailers in the area. So just wanted to thank everyone on here for being so helpful to get me where I need to be!

Paul Mitchell
12-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Good news and just in time for the holidays.

A-train
12-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Awesome congrats on the new position!

AaronC
12-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Thats awesome! goodluck

davidg
12-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Congrats!

Hourly is steady and low, but half is variable and would kinda suck IMO. You are doing 100% of the work and giving half away because of his name. However, I would suggest going the 1/2 route.

And here is why: People will see YOUR work! It's gonna be a significant backing when you go out on your own. No BS later when you take a few of his customers about how you can't do it without him over your shoulder. If things go sour.

Just my .02

Also, you'll be a lot more on his schedule if you're working side by side. Might not be bad, and might be horrible.

JDGolden
12-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Congrats! I think I'd try the 1/2 deal and if your results are good I'd ask for more.

93ls1rx7
12-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Plus if you do the 1/2 deal you can get 100% of that tip vs splitting any tip with him on the hourly thing.

allenk4
01-02-2015, 11:46 PM
What ended up happening with this?

custmsprty
01-02-2015, 11:50 PM
Was following a pretty busy high end detailer in my area through facebook. He doesn't advertise aside from facebook and is STACKED with mostly exotic cars on a weekly basis. Was out of work for about a month so shot him a message out of desperation. The guy was awsome and invited me over next day to help him out on some exterior details. Needless to say, he was pretty impressed and offered me a job. Gave me the option of an hourly wage if we work side by side or half the pay of a full car if I go and tackle it myself. What do you guys think?
Finally after four years of detailing with only autogeek to backup my technique, it was confirmed by one of the best detailers in the area. So just wanted to thank everyone on here for being so helpful to get me where I need to be!

Update???

Roger T
01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
You might come out ahead if you go the 50% commission route. The other guy has to pay all the expense( overhead ) with his 50%. The valuable experiance and knowledge gained is priceless and free. Good fortune to you, either way.

Roger T

custmsprty
01-03-2015, 12:12 AM
You might come out ahead if you go the 50% commission route. The other guy has to pay all the expense( overhead ) with his 50%. The valuable experience and knowledge gained is priceless and free. Good fortune to you, either way.

Roger T

This threads a year old without an update of what he decided to do, just an FYI.

allenk4
01-03-2015, 12:15 AM
This threads a year old without an update of what he decided to do, just an FYI.

I know

He has been posting this evening, so I thought I would ask him

custmsprty
01-03-2015, 12:18 AM
I know

He has been posting this evening, so I thought I would ask him

I'm with you on that, I was just pointing that out to the other poster as it being a year old he probably decided by now what compensation package to take. :props:

And judging by his other posts he's likely looking to go out on his own now.

kdubski
01-03-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm with you on that, I was just pointing that out to the other poster as it being a year old he probably decided by now what compensation package to take. :props:

And judging by his other posts he's likely looking to go out on his own now.

Custmsprty, you're onto something. Yeah the guy was too good to be true, he gave me a couple of weekends of work washing wheels and wiping wax but never came around to the 50/50 deals. Don't know if he took me as a threat or what it was. Mind you he's 40's, and I'm 22. Nothing beat's getting paid the full value of what the detail is worth, even if you're getting underpaid for it, it's better than $10/hr. At this point I have everything I need to detail solo, so my biggest goal now is to enter a niche market of exotic cars.

allenk4
01-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the update