PDA

View Full Version : Confessions!

Pages : [1] 2

Romans5.8
12-08-2013, 11:07 PM
What do you do, detailing related; that you wouldn't want to admit :)

Okay, here's one. The other day- I went to a touchless automatic! :autowash:

Also, about a week ago I was doing a waterless wash on the Taurus and there was this stubborn bit of road tar and I was so frustrated with it I actually kind of scrubbed with my MF towel to get it off (towards the bottom of the car). Believe it or not, I actually looked around to make sure nobody saw- like anyone else around is as silly as me and would care!

How about you? What rules do you break? Any confessions? :P

cardaddy
12-08-2013, 11:41 PM
What rules do I break?

I can get a swirl free finish with Costco (Kirkland gold) towels on relatively soft paint. Was actually doing some hand work tonight getting ready to coat my G35 and didn't think twice about grabbing a different towel. :D

pointillistic_practitioner
12-08-2013, 11:51 PM
1) I don't wash my car nearly enough as I'd like to. In fact, during the winter, I have taken my car to the swirl-o-matic (and, thereafter, deeply regretted it) because it was too cold to wash myself/I didn't have any time but it was too filthy to bear (aka in catch22 situations) That being said,I did do a rinselss wash last week when it was 35 though. Felt a little chilly/sick afterwards but then it was cold-eeze, green juice, and salad to the rescue :detailer:

2) Sometimes, I forget to clean my polishing pad after each panel

3) It is always a struggle for me to keep my section passes small. I'm a type A personality. Detailing has actually helped me pace myself and break things up to make them less overwhelming, though.

4) I once washed my car with Megs wheel bright without gloves and after that my cuticles were purple :O :nomore:

dcjredline
12-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Prolly the worst I do is use a water blade, while it is MAINLY for the glass I do use it on paint.

Havent ALWAYS done a test spot

Don't always just do a 2x2 section of the paint when AIO or correcting, I usually do a panel at a time (unless its a big panel like roof or trunk or hood)

Sue me.

CowboyTruckn
12-09-2013, 12:48 AM
:grouphug: I have used my drying towel to get that little area of dirt off I missed while washing.

dcjredline
12-09-2013, 12:56 AM
:grouphug: I have used my drying towel to get that little area of dirt off I missed while washing.

ooo good one. Ive done that too.

A-train
12-09-2013, 01:34 AM
I was in a rush the other day and realized halfway through the wash I didn't have my grit guards in my buckets. I continued on workout putting them in.

Reveddie25
12-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Ever thought about "cleaning" your clay after dropping it? lol

wrx495
12-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Ever thought about "cleaning" your clay after dropping it? lol

shoooT! lol i dropped my clay and grabbed a knife and just cut a layer/ strip of clay from the part that landed on the ground! LOL!

shagnat
12-09-2013, 06:48 AM
You guys are funny. Think I'll be enjoying this forum :)

Klasse Act
12-09-2013, 08:03 AM
I used to use one bucket, old towel to wash and wait for it, dumped the old, dirty water onto the car when I was done, why....well because I wanted to use everything, stupid!

This was a long, long time ago though!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

VP Mark
12-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Almost a decade ago I worked full time for a large dealership. Rotary, wool, polish. All day, every day baby.

GenesisCoupe
12-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Hmm let's see...

I don't always clean my pads after a paint correction, sometimes i let them just sit for a few days due to lazyness or being too tired after working for 10 hours on a car.

Desertnate
12-09-2013, 08:49 AM
I use an Absorber to dry my cars after a traditional wash and I've been known to use my fingernail on a stubborn bug carcass that just won't come off.

Znig22
12-09-2013, 09:22 AM
From time to time use a acid on really stubborn rims that have been severely neglected.

I have also caught myself wiping out door jams with the microfiber that I used to do a final once over on rims.

We all need to remember when it's 100+ degrees out or 30 degrees out, we seem to form bad habits to hurry things along. Well that's my problem. This is a difficult trade to be successful in, reputation is everything!