PDA

View Full Version : Paint Scratch

bxstr
12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a paint scratch on my front bumper that goes down to the primer on the bumper. I have touched up part of it with OEM Audi Touch Up Paint and it came out pretty good and level. For the other area what would you recommend. Continue with the Audi OEM or should I use Dr. Colorchip which I also have. I don't want to get it resprayed because this is the only issue on the front bumper. I am then going to have a clear bra over it to prevent any other issues.

Also on the drivers side front quarter panel there is a paint chip. Looks like just through the clear. It is maybe the size of a finger nail but it is very shallow so paint doesn't want to stick. Any ideas. I don't really want to wetland on any of this so is there any idea on how to do that without wet sanding.

Thanks

Pureshine
12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Touch up paint you can see the black in the bumper or you will need a repaint.

bxstr
12-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Ok so would you recommend OEM or Dr. Colorchip. Also what would be the best way to level it after.

Just02896
12-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Ok so would you recommend OEM or Dr. Colorchip. Also what would be the best way to level it after.

Definitely OEM touch up paint! Layer the touch up paint 3-4-5 times or until the touch up spot is slightly higher than the factory paint. Let the touch up paint cure for a few days. Wetsand the touch up spot with 1500, 2000, and then 3000 grit paper until the spot is level and blended with the factory paint. Then just polish back the shine and you should have a near flawless touch up!

bxstr
12-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Ok so should I do that on the bumper and on the fender. Is there a way around the wet sanding. I don't know if I want to do that on that edge on the bumper. Could I mask off the area. Then apply and wetsand.

Thanks

Tato
12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello.

I'm not a professional in this area, also I don't offer touch up to clients, but I always do in my own cars.

Generally, I do like Just02896 said, layer touch up 3-4-5 times, wetsand (2000-3000), and polish to a gloss.

Results are not the greatest, because I can still see the touch up if looking very close. However, it's really difficult for anyone to notice. Best would be a small paint compressor (they call 'micro paint repair' in my area). Sprayed paint looks more uniform than brush touch up.

If you can't remove sanding marks, do not even try to sand. You can try to layer a bit less (maybe 2-3 times), covering ONLY and PERFECTLY on the spot you need to touch up.

Then you can get a cutting pad (LC orange, Meg's Burgundy, etc) in a small size (4'), use a compound and polish the area you touched up, it'll come out glossy and barely perceptible. After, you can always redo the area with a finishing polish to improve finish.

However, if you have a cutting pad and a compound, it's absolutely likely you will be able to remove 2000-3000 sanding marks with any DA, so you should take the risk sanding if you want the best result.

At first, try to touch up and sand a hidden area of your vehicle, and polish it to remove sanding marks. After you feel comfortable with it, try to sand the visible spot.

Cut the sand paper small enough to sand just the touch up. Do an extensive research regarding: 'How to Wet Sand your Vehicle'.

The sanding marks looks really ugly at first, you may think you've damaged your car. But polishing with the tools I've told above will get rid of the sanding marks really easy.

I'm sorry, but I cannot not be responsible for any damage you cause with the method cited above. As I've said, I'm not a professional in this area and only touch up/sand my own vehicles. Do it by your own risk.

What I can advance is that it isn't any '7 head beast'!, don't be afraid to try if you have the tools and knowledge to do it.

Good Luck,

Kind Regards.