PDA

View Full Version : Best Touch up Paint?

delliot
12-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Any of you guys have experience with touch up paints? I was thinking about getting , Dr Color Chip...
Any good? any other suggestions?
:help:
Thanks

Dan

Harry Da Hamster
12-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I've used Dr Color Chip. It's excellent for tiny rock chips. It won't achieve a 100% perfect finish but you won't notice the repair rock chips from a short distance.

For long scratches, look up some scratch touch ups here using regular touch up paint, sand paper, compound/polish.

MarkD51
12-07-2013, 08:17 PM
My experience with both, On my white Tahoe, and the Dr Colorchip system, I've noticed this touch up paint had lacked quite a bit of gloss. It appears dull in comparison with factory applied two stage paints.

After difficulty of paint matching, they sent me a suitable bottle, but there is that one discrepancy, the paint that fills the chip is dull, non-glossy.

Now, I've tried polishing such after a long dry time, like 3-4 weeks after, with something like Megs 205, and to no avail, this paint just won't match in shine.

I've noticed that Dr Colorchip's Sealact Solution will act upon factory touch up paints, but you are going to work!

I've somewhat smoothed, and leveled factory touch up on the Tahoe that was done 12-14 years ago with the sealact. Yep, it worked the bejesus out of me, and there was probably a much quicker way, like fine wet sandpapers, or a Megs Unigrit block. Problem with papers, or the Block, if you aren't an artist, and extremely careful, you'll go through the clear, and the colorcoat lickety split, faster than you can say "Oh Hell"!

I've found that out with my junker Kia. But, it's a crapbox, I really don't care much about it, as it wasn't much when I bought it 7-8 years ago.
It gets me to work down the road, it isn't gonna win any shows!

I had thought that a factory paint, left to dry for maybe just a day or two, carefully applied, then smoothed with the Dr Colorchip Sealact product might be a good way, provided the touch up paint you buy over the counter is a good match.
Mark

evob
12-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I've used Dr. Colorchip and I think its a good, solid product. I would recommend using Dr. Colorchip. Its a bit expensive but, they match your car color with your color code, and mine was really close to my actual color. It takes some work to use the product but it is worth it (to me at least). If you have a deep chip in the paint, do several coats. I've noticed from using the product that if you just put it on the car then let it dry and take the excess off, you are left what looks like a dip in the paint. So I tried to do multiple coats, and that makes it pretty much invisible, unless you are really looking for it. The product worked best for me on flat surfaces and not so well on corners, but that's not the products fault, its more mine, but corners are still hard to do. Hope this helps a little bit, if you have any questions on it let me know and I can try and help.
Good luck
Brant

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

MarkD51
12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I've used Dr. Colorchip and I think its a good, solid product. I would recommend using Dr. Colorchip. Its a bit expensive but, they match your car color with your color code, and mine was really close to my actual color. It takes some work to use the product but it is worth it (to me at least). If you have a deep chip in the paint, do several coats. I've noticed from using the product that if you just put it on the car then let it dry and take the excess off, you are left what looks like a dip in the paint. So I tried to do multiple coats, and that makes it pretty much invisible, unless you are really looking for it. The product worked best for me on flat surfaces and not so well on corners, but that's not the products fault, its more mine, but corners are still hard to do. Hope this helps a little bit, if you have any questions on it let me know and I can try and help.
Good luck
Brant

I'll pretty much agree with what you've said.

Considering what I was looking at before on my white Tahoe, which looks like black spots, one has to really comb the paint an inch away close to find those chips after the Dr Colorchip process.

I had a little bit of difficulty when I first got the Kit, and there was a little bit of a learning curve, but not too bad once you learn, and understand how to apply, and when, and how to finesse the Sealact solution.

Good lighting, and patience are keys to perfecting the leveling of the touch up paint.

All in all, I'd say superior to the Langka touch up system IMO.
I never got good results with the Langka touch up.
Mark

hamlyn
12-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Google automotivetouchup

jonmossefin
12-08-2013, 02:43 AM
I agree with that. I have tried Dr Color Chip though it was a bit pricey I guess, not sure if most find it expensive. When it comes to quality then I must say that it is very good but when you use it I cannot guarantee that its 100% perfect to combine but then again I like it and it is a must try.

wrx495
12-08-2013, 03:26 AM
i've personally used touchup direct . i like it because i am able to get the clear i could put over it. and it is the same exact color! if you have to do a major respray they sell it by the gallons too i think. also in spray cans!

Andr3wilson
12-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Most proper kits are great. Make sure you use a solvent base paint rather than water base. Water base (most touch up paints and body shop touch up pots) will dry uneven and rough won't be smooth. Solvent based (basically single stage with clear mixed) will dry glossy and smooth. It has a tendency to be thicker, so IMO easier to apply. This stuff can be found at an autobody supply shop ($10 ish).

wrx495
12-08-2013, 05:45 AM
sorry to pop my question in here but what kind of shops in America (I am in the US) match paint for auto body's

evob
12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
sorry to pop my question in here but what kind of shops in America (I am in the US) match paint for auto body's

(Sorry if this goes against any rules on ad type things)
Great question. It can be really hard to find places from my experience. My dad actually works for a company called Industrial Finishes. They do a lot of paint for the rv and car industry. You can buy a pint all then way up to a gallon. If you have a color code they will have the formula to make the paint. Or if you need a match for a color they can do that too. I'm not sure about other locations buy I worked at the one in Elkhart Indiana, and for them its normal to do paint matching and OEM paint. I actually use to mix it and we did about 36 gallons of paint a day. Not including walk ins as well. Like I said I'm not sure about other locations but it is worth a shot.
Hope that might help
Brant

novaman
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
you could try this StickerFix (http://www.stickerfix.com/stickerfix/global/Pages/home.aspx)

novaman

geekdout
12-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Is the process any different for touch up paint on a car that has single stage paint? I am specifically wondering about Toyota/Lexus black paint.
Thanks for any information.

Andr3wilson
12-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Is the process any different for touch up paint on a car that has single stage paint? I am specifically wondering about Toyota/Lexus black paint.
Thanks for any information.

As far as paint, exact same as base/clear.

With regards to process, the thinner the kits use won't dissolve the single stage (over long periods of time yes it will) as it has fully cured. So following the Dr. Colorchip technique of smudging and then using the dissolving liquid (aka thinner) and quickly wiping away excess won't cause harm. Thinner will flash before it can dissolve the paint.

For Toyota/Lexus depending on the year, many confuse tinted clear with single stage. The Solid black (202 paint code I think) 07' in used a base clear with a black tinted clear. I don't know the years and models, but most of the newer ones (say 04+ went over to base/clear with non metallics having a tinted clear). To tell the difference, if the pad is coming up slightly discoloured,it's tinted clear, coming up COLOURED and gumming up fast. It's single stage.

Jaretr1
12-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I have used automotivetouchup. The quality and color match of their paint was spot on. They also sell the paint in a variety of options from a pen to a jar with a brush.

Once they sent a bad match, it wasnt even close. I sent back a color card and they sent me a new jar with no problems.

Nothing fancy in what they do, so the skill of the applier is paramount to getting good results (I learned the hard way).