PDA

View Full Version : Swirl removers; polishes

supercharged
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Looking to try something new for removing scratches and swirls......Currently using #83 DACP from Meguiar's pro line, Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish ll. Was thinking to try something from Pinnacle (XMT, maybe Pinnacle Swirl remover), Wolfgang Total Swirl remover, Poorboys...
Any thoughts...?

joe.p
06-04-2006, 04:05 PM
+ 1 For boys. Is there anything about IP you don't like ?

ScottB
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
DACP (old fav) but a little dusty. Menzerna, the king of the polish classes. And a close second would be the Poorboys Twins (2.5 and 1.0) with XMT looking to overthrow Poorboys for ease of use with great value.

abrcrombe
06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Just ordered some poorboy's so we will see how that goes. Heard nothing but good things about PB.

emaxxman
06-04-2006, 08:20 PM
DACP (old fav) but a little dusty. Menzerna, the king of the polish classes. And a close second would be the Poorboys Twins (2.5 and 1.0) with XMT looking to overthrow Poorboys for ease of use with great value.

I've been looking into get a swirl remover. I was considering Menzerna's, Meguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0 (#9), DACP, or the XMT.

Is there a tradeoff in quality of results if I go with XMT (for it's ease of use?) This would be the first time I've ever polished a car let alone with the PC.

Neothin
06-04-2006, 08:26 PM
XMT's polishes were designed to be used on the PC. That right there has to tell you something.

ScottB
06-04-2006, 08:27 PM
you will find XMT as easy to use as the others. Optimum polishes are the only ones with a little bit of a learning curve, as they are thicker and need to be worked quite a bit longer. (thats not a bad thing when using a PC, just different)

Neothin
06-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I personally started out on my PC with the optimum lineup. I then moved to PB's. Now I'm well into my bottles of XMT. XMT is my favorite for the PC (though on the rotary, optimum takes the cake). smells great, low dusting, good cut w/ a nice finish, able to be used in the sun (with a little modification to your polishing method). they're just overall nice polishes.

BlackRocks
06-04-2006, 11:40 PM
I have PB 2.5 and the entire XMT line. The XMT line seems to work a tad nicer on the PC, but I really like the PB's 2.5 on an orange pad with my rotary....PB's 3 is actually not up to the standards of the rest of the PB's line. I have found very little working time with it(rotary, not PC use). I am going to switch over to Menzerna for all my heavy polishing/compounding needs, though.....

Todd

BILL
06-05-2006, 07:16 AM
For me?? i had great success with A.S.R.

Neothin
06-05-2006, 07:34 AM
BlackRocks- You've actually been able to use PB's polishes on the rotary? Is there anything special that you're doing? The few times that I used a PB's polish on my hitachi, I got about 15 seconds of work time before everything went up in dust. how are you getting the polishes to work for a longer time?

Surfer
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I personally started out on my PC with the optimum lineup.Isn't that funny, I started with the PC a couple months ago and 1st polishes I used were Optimum Polish and Optimum Compound. All I heard was how hard they are to work etc, I actually found them pretty easy, they did a top notch job on my truck. Even the compound on a yellow Edge pad barely left any hazing (still went over with blue and OP). I like that they didn't dust as well.