PDA

View Full Version : Klasse AIO and SG by machine

Pages : [1] 2

bojans
12-06-2013, 07:15 AM
I recently bought a PC 7424xp kit and will be doing my wife's van this weekend. Any guidance on which pads to use for the AIO and SG. Tips and tricks welcome too.

TrolleyVW
12-06-2013, 07:26 AM
I kind of wonder this too but I remember hearing here that at least SG is better applied by hand as it's easier to apply thin

ken tuep
12-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Which pads do you have? Are you going to claybar first? How much experience do you have with your polisher?

I have used KAIO with a green, or white LC ccs pad with good results. The main thing is if you have scratches and swirling, KAIO wont cut them. It is basically a cleaner only, the pad may cut a little.

With the KSG, Ive used a black flat pad to apply and removed by hand. I soak the pad, just like you would the applicator if doing by hand, then wring it out almost dry. I put the KSG in a spritz bottle and apply 2-3 sprays to the pad, and will usually cover the entire hood of a vehicle with that. Then a spritz per panel usually works after that.

I allow it to sit about 5 minutes then remove it. When I apply it, you can't really see it, once its worked in. Removal is effortless if done right. I coat every surface of the car except the windshield ( because its made my wipers chatter in the past.)

I also reapply 2 more coats over the next day, allowing ~8 hours between coats.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

HUMP DIESEL
12-06-2013, 08:05 AM
I think you should always claybar first, get the paint contaminants out first and there will be some. The pad cut all depends on what condition the paint is in. A light to medium polishing pad usually works really well with an all in one. I did not give a color pad, because that can change with manufacturer. Using a polishing pad will allow the minor abrasive in the all in one to work and also lay down an even coat for removal.

HUMP

Klasse Act
12-06-2013, 08:52 AM
I kind of wonder this too but I remember hearing here that at least SG is better applied by hand as it's easier to apply thin

FOR SURE!

Since KSG is to be applied thinnly when using a machine you can't see it going on and coming off at all. Trust me, apply KSG by hand and follow these tips:

-get a small bowl w/ water in it

-use a cotton and/or mf applicator

-small spray bottle to pour KSG into

-dunk the applicator into the bowl and wring out

-spray 1-2 squirts onto the damp pad and wipe a panel or section left to right and up and down.

-WIPE OFF IMMEDIATELY

-move onto the next panel

-keep the applicator damp, makes life easier!

I also add KSG into my made up QD using rinseless wash, 2 ounces into a gallon, works great!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

bojans
12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks Guys

I knew I should have provided more info... So here it is from a previous post I had. Only change will be instead of Menzerna polish I also got some Wolfgang polish I will use. I also picked up some Sonus Glanz to help maintain the SG. Can I use my microfiber bonnets to remove the SG once applied? I have a fair amount of experience with a regular rotary buffer (my dad owns a couple collision repair shops and I used to work for him in the summers during school), I have a good selection of pads mostly on the less aggressive side of spectrum since neither of my vehicles need major correction.

My wife has a 2011 Sienna AWD that has been a bit neglected due to life getting in the way. We make several trips per year from Northern Illinois to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in summer and winter so everything from bugs to iron particles (from the sand they put on the road) hit the car regularly. Vehicle has never been through an automatic car wash - always hand washed, dual bucket, just infrequently.

I probably should have asked first but I just ordered the following:
1 LC-46-205 - Paintwork Clay Pad Applicator pending
1 DP-7200 - Detailer's Detailing Clay & Lube Special pending
1 BF-506 - 20 oz. BLACKFIRE Clay Cleaner & Extender pending
1 CP-15LS - 500 ml. CarPro Iron X LEMON SCENT pending
1 DSM-1000 - Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush pending
1 BONNET-KIT - Dual Action Microfiber Bonnet Kit pending
2 LX-10-72 - 16 oz. Lexol Premium 3-in-1 Leather Car pending
1 WG-2000 - 16 oz. Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhance pending
1 BFPK-250 - Lake Country - Porter Cable 5.5 Inch CC pending
1 PIN-400 - 16 oz. Pinnacle Clear Coat Safe Wheel Cl pending
1 B-54223-C - Recessed Wheel Lug Nut Brush Combo pending

The vehicle does not have any real scratches or swirls so I am ahead of the game there. I bought the polisher and clay pad to try and speed this process up - hope it helps...
My plan is to wash, iron X, clay, polish using some fine Menzerna polish I still have around and then seal with Klasse SG. A couple questions:
1)Should I do Klasse AIO prior to SG or just go with 2 coats of SG? I assume 2 coats of SG since the paint will be very clean at that point.
2)I can't dedicate a lot of time to vehicle care, 2 homes, 2 kids, and a demanding job takes its toll. My goal is to get the van back in shape, hand wash every 2-3 weeks and seal it 2-3x per year knowing that once every 12-18 months I will need to clay etc. The van should look good but is a kid hauler, not a show piece so I am more concerned with protecting the finish than a shining beacon in the parking lot. Is Klasse the right sealant to be using with this goal in mind?

Any other tips are appreciated.

aim4squirrels
12-06-2013, 09:57 AM
The KAIO might be a good idea to lift the polishing oils off from your round of fine polishing. The cleaner the paint is before any sealant is applied, the better the bonding will be.

The KAIO has a bit of sealant protectant in and of itself, and will only work with the KSG to give it that amazing glass coat finish.

Klasse Act
12-06-2013, 12:59 PM
The KAIO might be a good idea to lift the polishing oils off from your round of fine polishing. The cleaner the paint is before any sealant is applied, the better the bonding will be.

The KAIO has a bit of sealant protectant in and of itself, and will only work with the KSG to give it that amazing glass coat finish.

Well said and to the point!

Desertnate
12-06-2013, 01:14 PM

:iagree:

I've used AIO by hand and by machine. The only real difference I saw was the machine speeds the application up a bit and spreads it more evenly.

SG I've only done by hand. Due to the small ammount you apply at any one time, I couldn't see doing it by machine and getting very good results.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
SG does not like to be applied by machine, it's easier by hand. Apply it to the whole car, wait 30 minutes then remove it with a microfiber towel and some spray wax/sealant, it makes it MUCH easier to remove. Use very little product only a dime sized amount for each panel, you'll see it almost melt into the paint.

Use a polishing pad with the AIO.

bojans
12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys. If I use the Sonus Glanz when removing the SG can I still add additional coats? (I know to wait at least 12 hrs) Also any suggestion for which pad to use when polishing?

Desertnate
12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys. If I use the Sonus Glanz when removing the SG can I still add additional coats? (I know to wait at least 12 hrs) Also any suggestion for which pad to use when polishing?

Yes you can. The Glanz is supposedly made out of the same stuff. I've layered SG after having used Glanz before with no ill effects.

If you want a Klasse "safe" QD spay to help with removing the SG and getting rid of streaks, I'd suggest the Sonus Spritz. It was designed to be the Klasse QD spray and is physically thinner and sprays easier. Glanz is thinker and is designed to be more of a booster or "spray wax" to be used after a wash to bring up the shine and improve the longevity of the the SG. The Spritz also works well on stuff like bird droppings or light, fresh water spots.

Klasse Act
12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
KSG does NOT need to set up before removal, its acrylic. Keeping the applicator damp and using the right amount on the pad let's you remove/wipe it in real good at the same time. If you leave KSG on for 30 minutes your just making more work for yourself.

Desertnate
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
KSG does NOT need to set up before removal, its acrylic. Keeping the applicator damp and using the right amount on the pad let's you remove/wipe it in real good at the same time. If you leave KSG on for 30 minutes your just making more work for yourself.

I wonder if the instructions on the bottle have changed over time. The SG I have states you should apply to the entire car and then go back to buff it out...which equates to about 20~30min for me on a small/mid sized car. The bottle is about 9 years old.

I wouldn't let it sit longer than that, but I've had no issues with 30 minutes as long as the car is in the shade and cool to the touch. Get it warm/hot, forget it. I have to break out the Spritz to help getting it off.

custmsprty
12-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Here's the link:

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse-usa.html (http://www.autogeek.net/klasse-usa.html)

Yeah you defintely want to let it set up for 30 minutes, and that's what it says in the application guide above. I just use any qd spray if it's a little difficult to remove. I personally wouldn't wipe on wipe off. I have always let it set up for alteast 30 minutes prior to wiping off.