PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil in Carpet

My Detailing Guys
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Anyone have suggestions regarding products and process on how to remove gear oil from carpet, plus remove the smell. The oil stain was removed visually from the carpet with Simple Green using an extractor but still has that gear oil smell just not as strong.

Any ideas of what to do?

Thanks,
Greg

Bill1234
12-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Folex might work here. However, I would start with an apc, scrub it and let it set to break up oil. I would then use the folex and scrub that and then wipe up

My Detailing Guys
12-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Folex might work here. However, I would start with an apc, scrub it and let it set to break up oil. I would then use the folex and scrub that and then wipe up

I've read on AG people talking about folex, I'll give it a try.

Thank you,
Greg

FPEvo
12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I think APC would be better on oil. I've used it as a persoak when I cleaned an automotive shop carpet and it did a good job breaking up all of the grease and oil.

Bill1234
12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I would also try greased lighting. Says its good for oil clean up

beamerstrumpet
12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
The smell,,, it may always be faintly in the air till they get rid of the car or change carpet and padding .

My Detailing Guys
12-05-2013, 07:39 PM
The smell,,, it may always be faintly in the air till they get rid of the car or change carpet and padding .

That's what I was thinking. Maybe at best, hoping to reduce the smell.

beamerstrumpet
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
semi related story, The metalsmith shop on the ship I was on in the navy did not have air conditioning for a long time, and there was lots of moisture in the room, so we put gear oil on the shears and the breaks bare surfaces to keep them from rusting. One day a couple Jr officers came in (one a female) and you could tell she was getting bored with the other guy trying to impress her,,, well she leaned on the big floor shear placing her hand flat down on a nice thick layer of 50 weight! the look on her face was priceless, not to mention when one of the guys I worked with handed her a rag, dead pan as could be, he says "dont worry the smell will only last a week or so." she could not get out of that shop quick enough LOLOLOL :D

My Detailing Guys
12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
semi related story, The metalsmith shop on the ship I was on in the navy did not have air conditioning for a long time, and there was lots of moisture in the room, so we put gear oil on the shears and the breaks bare surfaces to keep them from rusting. One day a couple Jr officers came in (one a female) and you could tell she was getting bored with the other guy trying to impress her,,, well she leaned on the big floor shear placing her hand flat down on a nice thick layer of 50 weight! the look on her face was priceless, not to mention when one of the guys I worked with handed her a rag, dead pan as could be, he says "dont worry the smell will only last a week or so." she could not get out of that shop quick enough LOLOLOL :D

Now that's funny. :dblthumb2: I guess it was one of those lesson learned moments, haha!

WAXOFF
12-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I would use some blue Dawn. That's what they clean birds with when they come in contact with an oil spill. It would break down the oil.

bsmith0404
12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
I would use some blue Dawn. That's what they clean birds with when they come in contact with an oil spill. It would break down the oil.

+1