PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Temperature For Detailing.

Vancity808
12-05-2013, 03:49 PM
So I just recieved my GG wolfgsng combo kit, and I live in vancouver, which means right now the weather is about -1C and cloudy. Is it too cold to be polishing or does the temperature not make a difference. I will be polishing in a garage and out of direct sunlight, however the garage is just as cold as the outside temp.

Also with waxing, I noticed at around 10C it takes forever for the wax be dry enough to be wiped off.

Another quick question, ive got the LC CCS 6.5in orange/white/blue pads. After each session should I be tossing them in the washing machine? Ill be cleaning them out with a pad brush between panels.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AG Online

Dr_Pain
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I think you are answering most of your questions. The basic limiting factors are going to be:

1) How cold can you tolerate and still produce the same quality work?
2) How long will I add to my details by trying to work with products that don't really work in cold temps?

You do have some alternatives such as rinseless washes which you can have in a bucket of hot water and waxes that perform fairly well in lower temps.

As for your CCS pads, I wash them after every sessions, and wash them by hand, so can't really comment on the machine machine.... but it is the best practice to wash and inspect them before you decide to use them again.

swanicyouth
12-05-2013, 04:00 PM
If your in a garage and have electricity (polisher), just get a small space heater and run it for a few hours. Can you close the door?

Either way, I've polished in the 30/40s° F without issues. Some polishes will be finicky, some won't. Just use you polish sparingly, or wiping it off will be like glue. Yes, you need to clean the pads completely after each use. IMO/IME pads and washing machines don't mix.

Vancity808
12-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Me being able to withstand the temperature isnt the problem I was worried if the polish will work 100% in cold weather conditions.

Yeah my garage door closes and ive yet to gone looking around for my heater, not quite sure if I still own one.

swanicyouth
12-05-2013, 04:16 PM
If you heat up the garage you will heat up the car, the polish, and yourself. Making it more comfortable for you and likely making it a non issue. But, you should be ok as long as it's above freezing. It's not optimal - but doable. Just use your polish sparingly. Too much polish is the cause of so many polishing issues.

Mike Phillips
12-05-2013, 04:16 PM
I remember buffing-out and waxing an Audi Quattro in an open garage while it was snowing outside. I did this in Seattle around Christmas time.

It wasn't fun but I got it done.

Car looked like this one, it was brand new in 2000.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Audi_Quattro.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
12-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I think this is like the 4th or 5 time I've posted the link to this article this week?

What temperature ranges are best for applying compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html)

Get an electric space heater, turn it on and close the garage door. Not perfect but it will warm up the garage and the car.

:)

Vancity808
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the link Mike

Hitman21
12-05-2013, 04:50 PM
It was 23° F. last week When I washed and detailed a customer's car. I have heat in my garage but I still wash outside.

Ian