PDA

View Full Version : My new 13' Toyota Rav4 Ltd

Pages : [1] 2

Guest51
12-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Hello fellow Autogeeks …:dblthumb2:

So I recently bought myself a new 13' Rav4 Ltd.
The paint is Magnetic Grey metallic and the interior has Softex Leather seats which I believe is basically just a really soft vinyl if i'm not mistaken(???)

This is my first "New" car and i've already done quite a few mods to it to personalize it and make it my own. I still have quite a bit more I'd like to do to it but in the mean time what I'd really like to do is learn everything I can to keep my Rav4 looking it's best and to protect it from the sometimes harsh desert conditions that we 'deal with' out here in sunny Arizona.

I am a total noob when it comes to the world of auto detailing and as you can see, I've only been a member here for a coupla weeks, but since i've been here I have already learned so much.

On Black friday I ordered the following items;

6x Cobra Gold Plush jr.s
3x Guzzler WW's
6x MF applicator pads
Blackfire MF cleaner & restorer
CG's Maxi Suds 2
2x 5gal buckets
2x Grit Guard Inserts
2x GG's MF wash mits
Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Kit
TW Ice Liquid Polish (for exterior black plastic)
Wheel Brushes
PC 7424XP w/ 5" bp
5.5" pads

So far, the only thing that I have done for it was clay bar it and then put a coat of collinite#845. If there are any other Waxes out there that would be a better choice then please let me know.
Also, I'm not 100% sure what polishes would be best to use for my vehicle.

For interior, I've got Meg's leather cleaner & conditioner which seems to do well, but I was wondering what others here would suggest to use to clean & protect my Softex Leather seats with?

Thanks so very much in advance!
ShadowRav4n

HateSwirls
12-05-2013, 10:44 AM
One of the best conditioners I've used is Howard's Leather Conditoners.

I love my RAV. Great car:)

Guest51
12-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks HS… i'll look into the HLC's and see what they have available.

rstark
12-06-2013, 04:03 AM
I have a '13 RAV4 in Spruce mica (dark green with gold metallic flake). I use a GG6 with Menzerna SF 4500 on a white 5.5" flat LC pad to remove light swirls from and give the paint that extra "pop" if or when needed. I use Menzerna Power Lock sealant and it really looks great. I am about to put on Collinite 845 this weekend but only to see how easy it is to apply and remove and see the finish.

Get a wheel spoke brush like this http://www.autogeek.net/spoke-wheel-brush.html. Also, get a long brush to clean the fender wells too since when they get dirty, it is really noticeable http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the inside and it lasts a long time http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest51
12-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I have a '13 RAV4 in Spruce mica (dark green with gold metallic flake). I use a GG6 with Menzerna SF 4500 on a white 5.5" flat LC pad to remove light swirls from and give the paint that extra "pop" if or when needed. I use Menzerna Power Lock sealant and it really looks great. I am about to put on Collinite 845 this weekend but only to see how easy it is to apply and remove and see the finish.

Get a wheel spoke brush like this Spoke Wheel Brush, clean wheel brush, wheel cleaning brush, no scratch wheel brush (http://www.autogeek.net/spoke-wheel-brush.html). Also, get a long brush to clean the fender wells too since when they get dirty, it is really noticeable Mothers Fender Well Brush cleans wheel wells beneath the car's fenders. Fender Well Brush has a long handle to scrub behind wheels and tires. (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html). I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the inside and it lasts a long time 303 Aerospace Protectant, 303 aerospace, 303 protectant, aerospace protectant, 303 products, 303 (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Rick… so yea, I've got all those brushes you mentioned including a few others I couldn't pass up on. And I'll look further into the 303 as an interior cleaner.
Right now I'm just pretty much using Megs products for my interior which is doing a great job…and I'll continue to use them until I can find the "Perfect" products.

I still haven't decided on a polish or sealant yet.

The vehicle is only three months old and I've been washing it by hand since day 1.

I live out here in the AZ desert and would really just like to protect my car from the harsh climates.

Was looking into either WG's DGPS 3.0 or Megs Mirror Glaze 2.0 which is much cheaper as a sealant.

So how did you like the collinite#845?

rstark
12-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Just finished with the 845. It is more work to take off by hand than Menzerna Power Lock (both applied by DA buffer). I'll have to see how it holds up. It does shine well, but so did Power Lock. At this point, I could live with just using PL.

303 Aerospace Protectant is not a cleaner, although they do make a 303 Cleaner. The Protectant really lasts quite a while compare to anything else I've used.

I've replaced all interior, licenses plate and reverse lights with LED bulbs. Also added a mirror with Homelink.

Here's a picture just after using Menzerna PL:

RTexasF
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Softex is man made and not leather. Any product used to clean vinyl will do the job.

Guest51
12-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey Rick, I too switched out all my interior bulbs for lead's… also swapped out my fogs for led's as well.
My lows are high beams were switched out too so everything matches.

I havent gotten around to the reverse and license plate bulbs yet.
If you don't mind me asking, what bulbs did you go with for those?
Do you have a link?

Hey there RTexasF…. good to see ya bro!

rstark
12-07-2013, 10:04 PM
License plate bulbs were VLED's found here http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/miniature-wedge-base/194-168-158-led/white-5k/5k-white-high-power-led-bulbs-194-168-158-1-pair.html

Reverse bulbs were CREE 5w T15 LED's found here http://www.amazon.com/Projector-Replacement-Light-Bulbs-STICKER/dp/B007JOKKDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386471831&sr=8-1&keywords=T15+Cree+led+5w

rstark
12-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I had hazing on the hood from the Collinite 845 about three hours after I applied and wiped it off. I read about this and seems common. It's been 80 degrees all day and car is parked in the garage so I didn't think I would run into this problem. Used QD and wiped it down again and all is good again. This is the first time a wax has ever hazed up after wiping off all of the wax. Strange.

jankerson
12-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Was looking into either WG's DGPS 3.0 or Megs Mirror Glaze 2.0 which is much cheaper as a sealant.

So how did you like the collinite#845?

I don't think you can go wrong with either WGDGPS or M21.

You will need a prewax cleaner though to clean up the paint if you want to change the LSP.

You can go a few ways though, you could get Megs M20 that is a cleaner Sealant that lasts a long time and top that with M21, 2 coats 24 hours apart...

Or get WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer to prep it for the WGDGPS, 2 coats 24 hours apart.

hollerstiltner
12-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I tried 845IW on my magnetic grey tacoma. It looked alright to me. Looked a bit to candy coated for my tastes though. I like the look of MaxWax a lot better. I've not tried my sample of WGDGPS on it yet but DG501 looks pretty good to me. It's a little deeper looking than the other sealants I've used so far (DG105, DG105, 845IW and DP Policoat). My current method is to lay down one of the sealants then top with MaxWax.

You picked a fantastic color, seems darn near impossible to spot swirls on.

Guest51
12-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I too had the collinite haze up on me the evening of the waxing…. by the next day it was gone and hasn't returned.

Are the Reverse bulbs any brighter/crisper then the stock bulbs?

Guest51
12-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either WGDGPS or M21.

You will need a prewax cleaner though to clean up the paint if you want to change the LSP.

You can go a few ways though, you could get Megs M20 that is a cleaner Sealant that lasts a long time and top that with M21, 2 coats 24 hours apart...

Or get WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer to prep it for the WGDGPS, 2 coats 24 hours apart.

I noticed Wolfgang is much more expensive…does it last longer then meg's?
cuz if your saying I can't go wrong with either then I'll just go with the meg's m20 & m21 and call it a day.

And please excuse the nooobiness, but what does "LSP" mean exactly? lolz… i'm sure i'll catch on to all the shorthand lingo soon enough

Thanks for the info man….much appreciated! :dblthumb2:

Guest51
12-08-2013, 12:11 AM
I tried 845IW on my magnetic grey tacoma. It looked alright to me. Looked a bit to candy coated for my tastes though. I like the look of MaxWax a lot better. I've not tried my sample of WGDGPS on it yet but DG501 looks pretty good to me. It's a little deeper looking than the other sealants I've used so far (DG105, DG105, 845IW and DP Policoat). My current method is to lay down one of the sealants then top with MaxWax.

You picked a fantastic color, seems darn near impossible to spot swirls on.

Hey Holler….. wuddup bro. hope your enjoying your evening.
Yea, I specially ordered my Rav4…. took 9 week for it to arrive. :rolleyes:
Got the LTD version w/ all the bells and whistles and have been slowly making mods to it myself.
And yes, you are absolutely spot on about not being able to see swirls with the Magnetic Gray Metallic paint. It's fantastic!

still waiting for my very first pc7424xp…. never used one before.
super stoked!