PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a client ask you if you would change their oil?

Pages : [1] 2

jta98z
12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Is it something you would consider if they $$?

RTexasF
12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
No, nor would I do it if they did ask.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I certainly would not. Unless it is family or friends, not happening. I am more than capable, but at that point you're jumping into a mechanic position and that isn't what you're there to do. I would tell them to drive in or drop it off at a quick-lube place.

rouxster
12-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm not a professional detailer, but I have my own side business in another line of work. I think there is too much liability there. No matter what they tell you, you don't know what kind of oil is in there or what or much to use, you could get the wrong filter, etc. Too much to go wrong and if someone burns up an engine after you changed the oil, you are in some hot water. They could have engine issues that they are not telling you about either. No Way Jose!

tuscarora dave
12-05-2013, 10:28 AM
It's kind of the other way around for me.

When I have a customer's car in the shop for a detail and I notice that the oil change sticker shows the oil needs changed, I call the owner of the car and offer to change the oil while I have the car with me. The customer feels taken care of and I make some easy profit above and beyond the detail.

That's what garage keepers and liability insurance is for. I see opportunity I grab it.

GenesisCoupe
12-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Nope, not an oil change guy, plus i don't have anything to do it with.

jta98z
12-05-2013, 10:41 AM

When I have a customer's car in the shop for a detail and I notice that the oil change sticker shows the oil needs changed, I call the owner of the car and offer to change the oil while I have the car with me. The customer feels taken care of and I make some easy profit above and beyond the detail.

That's what garage keepers and liability insurance is for. I see opportunity I grab it.

Bingo. This was my mindset, which is why I asked.

dcjredline
12-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I would do it. Finding out all the specs are as easy as looking in the owners manual, doing a google search or asking at the local retail auto parts store when you go to pick up the filter!

thebamboo23
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
even though its the basically the most basic-of-basic, basic things to do.. i wouldnt

wouldnt want to run to any problems. not because you will mess anything up, but if anything were to happen the customer might redirect the cause to you

eh, just my thought

tuscarora dave
12-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Bingo. This was my mindset, which is why I asked.

Yeah man. There's money everywhere!!! All you have to do is figure out a way to get your hands on it. This is one way to easily double your money. Just be careful to know which vehicles use synthetic only oil and price accordingly.

I use the prices of the chain oil changing places and can usually double my money with buying the oil and filter at Advance by the job. Buy oil in bulk and you're making even more money in the end.

I would do it. Finding out all the specs are as easy as looking in the owners manual, doing a google search or asking at the local retail auto parts store when you go to pick up the filter!

:iagree:

swanicyouth
12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Just throwing this out there, but I worked at an alignment shop part time for a few years when I was in college doing alignments. We weren't "allowed" to do anything with oil, trans/diff fluid, antifreeze, or brake fluid for a while because we weren't "zoned" for it.

No idea what that means, but that is what Mr Boss Man said. Of course that never stopped anyone working there from doing that work on their own cars. I'm sure if your not spilling and slopping the oil all over the place your fine.

Memories... Old School Hunter Racks:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/06/qepyzysy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/06/gyqa9a7e.jpg

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
It all depends on who it is for. For good friends and family not just regular customers then I will do it.

I used to do all the maintenance on this car while living in Vegas...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/66087-bmw-mike-recoats-white-3-series-front-bumper.html

Dr_Pain
12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I never had to, and was never asked BUT I do check their tire inflation and top them off as needed :)

CowboyTruckn
12-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I don't think I could take the risk... not hard but add soon as they get a flat tire it would be because I didn't change the oil correctly.

thebamboo23
12-05-2013, 03:24 PM
:haha:

but true