PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass cleaner, polish chevy volt roof?

xxnonamexx
12-05-2013, 08:05 AM
My buddy owns a 2012 Chevy Volt and the roof is fiberglass. What is a good product to clean it and polish it?

bsmith0404
12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I guess I've never really looked atthe roof of a volt so I'm confused. What makes it different than any other fiberglass i.e. corvette (they're actually not fiberglass except prior to early 70s). It's the paint you are cleaning/polishing, not the material underneath. Is there something with the volt roof that makes it different???

Mike Phillips
12-05-2013, 02:31 PM
It's the paint you are cleaning/polishing, not the material underneath.

Correct.

I'm pretty sure GM didn't use a gel-coat finish on their buzz-box....

Just treat like normal.

:xyxthumbs:

xxnonamexx
12-05-2013, 05:19 PM
my friend said its fiberglass feel the roof not the rest of the car. It sounds odd to me as well I guess entire car fiberglass but the roof is black fiberglass and car is light blue and the black roof top gets dirty fastest and he wants to clean it or polish, wax it what would you recommend?

ScottB
12-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Chevy offers a transparent top option for Vettes, its actually Lexan and coated with a light tint and UV protection. Likely because its a targa and can be removed. Not sure they use anything other than paint or traditional glass on their other offerings.

Chicago Tommy
12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
It's definitely painted. Just treat it as normal.

FUNX650
12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
my friend said its fiberglass feel the roof not the rest of the car. It sounds odd to me as well

I guess entire car fiberglass <<<No.

but the roof is black fiberglass <<<No.

and car is light blue and the black roof top gets dirty fastest and he wants to clean it or polish, wax it what would you recommend?

Check the roof with a magnet and see if it "sticks".

Some panels (like the hood) are aluminum.
(A magnet won't "stick" to them.)

:)

Bob