PDA

View Full Version : Any special care polishing new paint?

gpdallam
06-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm getting my 02 black Avalon back from having a dent pulled, but it also will have been repainted with Toyota black 202 and clearcoat, just the quarter panel and front bumper.

I was planning on repolishing the whole car with DG101/DG105 and then waxing with Souveran liquid the next day. However, budman suggested on another thread I ask for help from sparkie or Al-53 regarding the use of Duragloss on fresh paint.

Any potential problem with this guys?

thanks

Greg.Feed back please

ricka
06-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I've always read giving new paint at least 2 months to cure before applying sealant or wax.
I'm sure others will chime in for you.

supercharged
06-27-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm getting my 02 black Avalon back from having a dent pulled, but it also will have been repainted with Toyota black 202 and clearcoat, just the quarter panel and front bumper.

I was planning on repolishing the whole car with DG101/DG105 and then waxing with Souveran liquid the next day. However, budman suggested on another thread I ask for help from sparkie or Al-53 regarding the use of Duragloss on fresh paint.

Any potential problem with this guys?

thanks

Greg.Feed back please
No polishing and no sealant for first couple of month. You could use pure carnauba wax after a couple of weeks though.

AUdakota
06-27-2007, 06:06 PM
this amigos speak the truth, I have always heard and read that you should not put any type of sealant or polish on paint until its at least a month old.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-27-2007, 08:07 PM
when my car was painted I was told to wait 90 days before I do anything other than wash.

Gary Sword
06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
The newly painted quarter panel should not need polished. I would not put anything on it until the paint has cured. I have heard a lot of different opinions on how long it does take the paint to cure. People usually say anywhere from 30 to 90 days. Some people also say that a nuba wax is ok to put on new paint becuase it does air get to the paint but I'm not sure if this is true. Last year when my wife backed into someone with our van I waited 60 days before applying a nuba wax.

Jimmie
06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Here's the only one I would consider for a couple of months. If you go with this product give us a review.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html)

gpdallam
06-28-2007, 06:26 AM
THANKS ALL - you saved my butt. I was going to polish the whole thing twice tomorrow and then wax it. whew!

Greg.

Al-53
06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
do not use a sealant or wax on new paint...there's lots of controversy as to some say yes..some no...most paint mfgs. say that 90 days is the cure time and should not be waxed ....you can use a glaze like Menz...Meg's... 3M...to put on the paint....it will offer a little protection..but not for long..you may have to do it weekly...the glaze will not bond to paint..it sorta just floats on it..a wash will take it off or rains...will not hinder the curing of paint....

your body shop should tell you what to use...they know what paint they used and curing time....

But no wax or sealants....

this is for a repaint....new cars are ready to get waxed....they are UV cured from the factory

AL

ricka
06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
this should not be confused with sealing and waxing a new car. the paint no doubt has time to set up--especially foreign models that take time to get to the states. most in here will at least seal and wax (and clay) due to the contaminants the car endures during the transportation to the dealership.

in fact, some experienced folks won't even let the car get dealer prepped, opting to do it themselves.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-28-2007, 07:27 AM
this should not be confused with sealing and waxing a new car. the paint no doubt has time to set up--especially foreign models that take time to get to the states. most in here will at least seal and wax (and clay) due to the contaminants the car endures during the transportation to the dealership.

in fact, some experienced folks won't even let the car get dealer prepped, opting to do it themselves.

Agreed, the paint on new vehicles from the OEM's are cured.. even domestics.

I am personal friends with the just retired (he took the buy out) chief paint engineer for Ford Motor Co. and he also confirmed this.

Bunky
06-28-2007, 06:53 PM
do not use a sealant or wax on new paint...there's lots of controversy as to some say yes..some no...most paint mfgs. say that 90 days is the cure time and should not be waxed ....you can use a glaze like Menz...Meg's... 3M...to put on the paint....it will offer a little protection..but not for long..you may have to do it weekly...the glaze will not bond to paint..it sorta just floats on it..a wash will take it off or rains...will not hinder the curing of paint....

your body shop should tell you what to use...they know what paint they used and curing time....

But no wax or sealants....

this is for a repaint....new cars are ready to get waxed....they are UV cured from the factory

AL
I just got my truck completed painted (Sherwin-Williams paint) and they said wait 30 days or so. I took it back a few days ago to discuss getting a couple sections buffed out to clean it up and he stuck his nose to the paint when I was discussing I was considering getting it cleaned, polished, and waxed to check on curing....I wonder...

Al (another one)

Brandon1
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
I waxed and polished my new repaint with PO85RD and OCW. OCW was made for new paint, and allows the paint to cure while protecting it. Zaino can also do this.

Your body shop has already used a buffer on your paint, you are fine polishing it, but only use either OCW or Zaino untill at least 1 month. Then anything is game.