PDA

View Full Version : Waterless and Rinseless

Pages : [1] 2

2007M6
12-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a 2nd car that I drive about once a month. It doesn't get dirty because it is garaged. However, it does collect some dust before I take it out for a drive. Would you recommend a Waterless or Rinseless wash? I know I wouldn't do both so is it a personal preference or is there something I need to look for in order to choose one over the other. Thanks in advance.

TrolleyVW
12-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Depending on how much dust but a good waterless done properly on a clean car would probably suffice.

swanicyouth
12-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I think it more depends on the car, softness of the paint, color of the paint, level or correctness of the paint, and your goal for how perfect you want to keep that paint. I will tell you from first hand experience, frequent waterless washes are likely to cause some light marring on black/dark cars. It just depends how picky you are.

2007M6
12-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I think it more depends on the car, softness of the paint, color of the paint, level or correctness of the paint, and your goal for how perfect you want to keep that paint. I will tell you from first hand experience, frequent waterless washes are likely to cause some light marring on black/dark cars. It just depends how picky you are.

Thanks, but if I use the following once in a while will there still be marring? A waterless wash with a built-in wax, like Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterelss Wash with Carnauba,

thebamboo23
12-04-2013, 06:08 PM
It depends how soft/hard and the color of your clear coat. if its just a light layer of just you could do a touchless wash? foam with an LSP safe shampoo, rinse, and air dry (air blower, master blaster, etc). or foam, rinse, waterless wash

swanicyouth
12-04-2013, 06:15 PM
It's all relative. What color car is it? How soft is the paint? How defect free is the paint? If the paint has some marring and light swirls - go for it. If your dealing with black paint that is defect free under the most critical of lighting - I would skip it. Of course, paint of this standard was likely recently polished.

My black BMW gets the finest of marring from waterless washes. Most people wouldn't see it, but I scrutinize it under sun light and gas station fluorescents. So, for a case like that I would skip it. If it's a silver car that has never been corrected, there are likely deeper defects already in it than what a properly done waterless wash would create.

2007M6
12-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks Swanicyouth! FYI it's Black Saffire, the hardest color to maintain.

swanicyouth
12-04-2013, 06:57 PM

I'm assuming you mean BSM and it's a BMW - my BMW is BSM so I know where you are coming from. Jet Black is actually worse!!! So, my experience is on BMW BSM.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-05-2013, 12:15 AM

Meh, BMW jet black is harder to maintain.

Follow Swanicyouth's advice as he has a BSM M roadster and that car is always flawless.

Romans5.8
12-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Not to hijack the thread- but would you guys then recommend a rinseless, instead of a waterless, for soft, black paint systems? I have a tuxedo black Focus, will be polishing it next week. Soft, black metallic paint. (Being metallic may hide some defects though?). So would you recommend a rinseless then? (2 bucket wash is not an option right now).

Desertnate
12-05-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm finding my Deep Black Metallic/Pearl GTI is showing signs of the waterless washes I gave it.

I don't have what I'd car marring, but I am starting to see signs of a few light swirls. It takes just the right lighting conditions to see them, but they are there.

57BORNTORUN
12-05-2013, 09:16 AM
In the immortal words of the famed Mike Phillips.......BLACK...IT`S NOT A COLOR...IT`S A FULL TIME JOB!!!

Romans5.8
12-05-2013, 09:33 AM
In the immortal words of the famed Mike Phillips.......BLACK...IT`S NOT A COLOR...IT`S A FULL TIME JOB!!!

Haha, but nothing looks better.

You know the irony is, I will NEVER own a black motorcycle. Nu-uh no way no how no sir. I hate black motorcycles. BUT; oh mama there just aren't very many cars out there that don't look gorgeous in a dripping wet polished/wax coat of black!

Hoytman
12-05-2013, 09:45 AM

...and thus I have found it's better to do a traditional wash...at least on my 2005 black Trailblazer.

cleanmycorolla
12-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Not to hijack the thread- but would you guys then recommend a rinseless, instead of a waterless, for soft, black paint systems? I have a tuxedo black Focus, will be polishing it next week. Soft, black metallic paint. (Being metallic may hide some defects though?). So would you recommend a rinseless then? (2 bucket wash is not an option right now).

depends on your paint and technique