PDA

View Full Version : It's SO dirty!!

Pages : [1] 2

Romans5.8
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
And I couldn't be happier!

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8121/e940.jpg

Finally arrived off the truck this afternoon. I told my salesman I didn't want it washed and when I got there; he said I made the detail guy really happy because he was swamped today! Covered in plastic, dirt, grime, brake dust, they even left the stickers and washable paint marker marks from the factory. Woohoo!

Won't pick it up until this evening, tomorrow will be some waterless washing and a little P085rd (aka SF4500) treatment! Followed by a good seal and wax!

goldendodo19
12-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Beautiful. Can't wait to see that tuxedo black when it's cleaned up and polished. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Romans5.8
12-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Beautiful. Can't wait to see that tuxedo black when it's cleaned up and polished. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Haha. Me too! Really curious how the balance of metal flake and gloss will be.

BlackHawk
12-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Nice pick up! Me personally I would use a coating since it's a DD most likely, but that's just me :D

VISITOR
12-04-2013, 04:46 PM
if you haven't already, make sure sure and tell them not to drill the front plate on, that is unless you want it on...

Romans5.8
12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
if you haven't already, make sure sure and tell them not to drill the front plate on, that is unless you want it on...

Front plate is required in MO. What other choice would I have? An adhesive of some kind? Never thought to ask them 'not' to. Unfortunately; we have to have those ugly front plates here!

Nice pick up! Me personally I would use a coating since it's a DD most likely, but that's just me :D

I may consider a coating down the road; maybe in the spring.

jayshut11
12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Front plate is required in MO. What other choice would I have? An adhesive of some kind? Never thought to ask them 'not' to. Unfortunately; we have to have those ugly front plates here!

It's common to have a special bracket that fits into the tow hook on the front of the vehicle, especially on German cars. Not sure if those are available for Fords.

IngramAutoDetail
12-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Front plate mount is riveted into the bumper. Gah.

Congrats, it's nice to be able to get a new ride and not have it hacked up by the dealer! Good color choice, btw - pretty awesome when done up right.

Alby
12-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Where are you located in MO? I am in St. Louis. Like the car can't wait to see it all cleaned up.
Alby

RFulmer
12-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Nice. I picked up my Focus Hatch about a month ago. So far we love it.

Enjoy the clean up!

Romans5.8
12-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Where are you located in MO? I am in St. Louis. Like the car can't wait to see it all cleaned up.
Alby

I'm about an hour west of you out in Franklin County. Bought the car at Barreth Ford in Union, MO.

Nice. I picked up my Focus Hatch about a month ago. So far we love it.

Enjoy the clean up!

We considered the hatch. Went back and forth, hemmed and hawwed. Just couldn't decide which we liked better. In the end, we decided not to spend money on something we couldn't even decide if we preferred. After taking delivery of the Sedan and having it for a little while (few hours!) we are happy with the decision. Hatches are the thing to have right now, but Ford did a good job with the Sedan and, IMO, it looks great.

It's common to have a special bracket that fits into the tow hook on the front of the vehicle, especially on German cars. Not sure if those are available for Fords.

I didn't see anything that looked like it would work. The license plate 'hole' is quite a bit above the lower end of the bumper; and those 'slots' in the grille actually close at highway speeds to improve aerodynamics so nothing can actually be mounted there. I don't think it's really going to be a big deal mounting the plate- but they did not drill holes. (Ford includes self-tapping screws with the car for that purpose). I may look into some other solution, but chances are I'll just screw it in there like it's supposed to be.

I always thought Chevrolet had the right idea with the Corvette with the front plate 'cover' for states that didn't require it. Wish more manufacturers would do that! Even if I didn't need the front plate; there's a very obvious 'indent' where the plate would go. (Personally; I prefer what my old car had- a bracket mounted on TOP of the bumper instead of inset. A front plate looks bad either way- but at least this way, the car looks just fine in states that don't require a front plate!)

CowboyTruckn
12-05-2013, 01:37 AM

I may consider a coating down the road; maybe in the spring.

What happens if you don't use the front plate? How close do they watch it? I honestly drove here in OK 8 months with out of date tags (purchased, forgot to put on, they were laying in center console) before a police officer ever stopped me. My uncle had his tags stolen once and who knows how long he had been driving without them before he was stopped. Got his new one and drive 2 years with it in the back window before he was stopped and told he had to put it where it belongs. You might have some time lol.

Romans5.8
12-05-2013, 01:43 AM
What happens if you don't use the front plate? How close do they watch it? I honestly drove here in OK 8 months with out of date tags (purchased, forgot to put on, they were laying in center console) before a police officer ever stopped me. My uncle had his tags stolen once and who knows how long he had been driving without them before he was stopped. Got his new one and drive 2 years with it in the back window before he was stopped and told he had to put it where it belongs. You might have some time lol.

I don't think it's a case of being pulled over, necessarily. I don't think a police officer is going to drive by and notice my front plate is gone (He'll probably just assume I'm from out of state unless he happens to look back at the back plate). It's probably more of a case of if I ever were pulled over for some other reason, they'd slap that "Failure to properly display motor vehicle registration" ticket (a 'one size fits all' ticket, no plates, wrong plates, covered up plates, etc.) on me. Living in a very small town, there's a good possibility someone would eventually notice and stop me and ticket me!

Actually; the small town thing got me out of a ticket here a while back. Rolling stop at a stop sign (perfectly legitimate stop and ticket- I know better! But you know, driving through town on a 25mph road with excellent visibility and no cars around- except for the one behind me; whoops!). Officer got out and told me he sees me around town all the time and I don't usually do things like that so he wasn't gonna write me a ticket, but SINCE I'm around all the time- I'll definitely get the ticket the next time!

davidg
12-05-2013, 02:16 AM
I was wondering if you got the car yet. Been practicing?

Romans5.8
12-05-2013, 02:20 AM
I was wondering if you got the car yet. Been practicing?

Yeah a little bit. Need to tackle the pre-autogeek swirls on my wifes Taurus but I am waiting on a couple more pads to come in. Just a little here and there with the DA. But, since this is fresh off the factory floor and not touched by the dealer (in fact, it sat in the spot the truck dropped it off at for about an hour and a half while I did paperwork; mechanic inspected it there and I drove it from there; still with all of the plastic on it and everything), it won't need any correcting. I think just one step with SF4500 is all that's going to happen as far as machine polishing. Maybe Meg's UP beforehand if I do find any defects; but I can't imagine on unmolested paint? I mean the body on this car rolled out of the oven freshly painted on November 25th of this year (last Monday) and the finished car rolled off the line the next day. Other than lots of grime from shipping I can't imagine any damage. I could not find any defects, at all, in the sunlight today.