PDA

View Full Version : Polish and Wax, or Polish, Seal and Wax?

gpdallam
06-27-2007, 12:36 PM
My 02 black black Avalon gets outta the ding shop tomorrow. She was gleaming on the way in thanks to my elbow grease and DG 101; beautiful results on a car that had been pretty much jus washed before I got it.

Anyway, I got DG 901, 105, W DGPS, and PS liquid in the mail today so I'm excited to get to work.

Do you think I should go with 901/105/PS to start and save the DGPS for later in the summer (It's blistering hot here in KY), or, and here's the real question:

Will it look lots lots lots better to go ahead and polish with 105, work in the DGPS (wait a day afterwards, right?), and then apply the Souveran liquid?

thanks, (Oh, and I got the PS spray wax for QD after).

Greg in Kentucky

budman3
06-27-2007, 02:00 PM
By ding shop do you mean you had some dents repaired or did you get body work done and some new paint? If it is new paint then you should do some research and find out what products work with fresh paint. I am not Sparkie or Al-53 so I can't help you with your Duragloss questions... they are the pros to ask.

gpdallam
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
They pulled out a dent and repainted.

So the entire front bumper will be fresh along with one quarter panel. Do you think that fresh paint really needs special treatment? I'm sure the body shop is using basecoat and clearcoat because they explained as much to me.

But is fresh paint going to more sensitive to polish or something?

thanks,

GD.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-27-2007, 03:00 PM
They pulled out a dent and repainted.

So the entire front bumper will be fresh along with one quarter panel. Do you think that fresh paint really needs special treatment? I'm sure the body shop is using basecoat and clearcoat because they explained as much to me.

But is fresh paint going to more sensitive to polish or something?

thanks,

GD.
I was told by the bodyshop that did my new paint to wait (I think 90 days) until I did anything other than wash my car... sounds excessive i know!

budman3
06-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah the fresh paint needs time to out gas. Talk to the body shop and ask what you can do to the new paint. That way if you develop a problem later on they can't blame you on waxing too early. Who knows they may tell you it'd be ok to wax right now. I'm no painter so take this for what it's worth :).

k20z3kid
06-27-2007, 06:49 PM
hey man where in ky are you? im in louisville.

but yeah ive also heard that you are supposed to wait 90 days before sealing or waxing. supposedly using a glaze is okay though.

supercharged
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I think you should be okay to use pure carnauba wax after 30 days or so. Remember, - pure carnauba wax, not a cleaner wax. A good example would be Pinnacle waxes, or DP Max Wax.