PDA

View Full Version : Whats the hardest finish to protect soft clear coat

chrislorl
12-04-2013, 06:46 AM
What would be the hardest finish you could apply to a vehicle finish in order to protect it from swirls, light marring, and everyday scratching?
For example the deal of the day is a wax for $99.00 but what other protection does this offer?

Thanks in advance.

mwoolfso
12-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Probably Opti-coat

swanicyouth
12-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Likely your answer is OptiCoat permanent coating. If the finish is very soft, wax or conventional products won't protect the slightest from scratching. OC can help, but it's not a magic bullet.

imranhakro
12-04-2013, 07:34 AM
"Opti-coat 2.0" and wolf's "hard body coating" can help. OC got the edge over the later in terms of durability.

....but like swanicyouth said, don't expect them to be a magic bullet.

VP Mark
12-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Opti coat. A wax or sealant will only help very slightly compared to a coating. Even a less permanent coating like DP Paint Coating would be far superior to a wax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Pureshine
12-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Opti coat. A wax or sealant will only help very slightly compared to a coating. Even a less permanent coating like DP Paint Coating would be far superior to a wax.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

:iagree:

parttimer
12-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Cquartz? No one mentioned that.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

octane
12-04-2013, 12:43 PM
On my Rav4's ultra soft black paint, I tried OC2, hardbody and cquartz uk... none of them added any scratch protection IMO. cquartz uk seemed to fill in some fine scratches, but that's it. so now I think I'm just going to use a wax with fillers!

dpk20x
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
On my Rav4's ultra soft black paint, I tried OC2, hardbody and cquartz uk... none of them added any scratch protection IMO. cquartz uk seemed to fill in some fine scratches, but that's it. so now I think I'm just going to use a wax with fillers!

I wonder how a wax with fillers ... Something along the lines of banana gloss .. Would work on top of a Pinnacle black label. Would it still be able to hide small defects or would the coating somehow interfere?

chrislorl
12-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Well The black label is what I have on mine from the night at AG, but I was just wondering with the wealth of available products if there was a heavier, stronger protection. Also I am getting ready to Clay the GF's car and it is a white pearl, so trying to figure what would be the best especially with Love bugs here in FLA. A good solid coating is needed.