PDA

View Full Version : New member and Rookie detailer :)

zachwildcat
12-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey guys! I been reading the site a lot and figured out I really like cleaning cars and making something that looked like junk, look like treasure. I've gotten so much better at detailing but I still feel like I know nothing. I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to lend me a hand. I understand the first thing u always do is clean your tires and then proceed to clean the car etc.... now where I get a bit confused and crazy is the proceeding steps. When is it needed to use compound, to sand, etc etc. If u had to do the two above, then u proceed to polish. BUT polishing also cutts a tiny bit as well or am I wrong? After u polish you want to seal in and protect the newly treated paint... I get a headache with all the products and what exactly I need to use etc. I understand the processes and I'm even learning the chemistry of the cleaning too. Right now I do not have a da polisher, I'm just using a orbital polisher and waxer because I'm not doing any semi or heavy duty paint work. I will eventually get one but that even confuses on what I should get and the pads I need and the amount etc.... so any help would be great. I think I'm just overwhelmed.

yankees2452
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Welcome to AGO

12-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Welcome to AGO!

It really depends on how bad the swirls are. This is the process I just performed using Flex 3401 & LC Hydro Pads. Anytime you compound you're removing some of the clear coat.

Wash
Clay
Compound - WG Uber
Polish - WG Finishing Glaze
Pinnacle Black Label Surface Polsih
Coating - Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating
Sealant - Pinnacle Black Label Sealant
Wax - still debating

Read these articles, ignore the machine being used but pay attention to the process:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/71247-lady-red-1986-porsche-4-step-process.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/55570-how-use-flex-3401-a.html

Hope this helps out!

The Critic
12-04-2013, 02:03 AM
For a daily driver, stay away from heavy compounding whenever possible.

It's better to live with the RIDS and deeper scratches, than to shave off a chunk of clearcoat to remove RIDS.

I usually use a medium polish (Sonax Perfect Finish or Optimum Hyper Polish) with a medium polishing or light cutting pad, and live with whatever defects remain.

You'll need a DA polisher for any polishing work. If you have any interest in pursuing this as a hobby, you may want to jump straight to the Rupes 21 or Flex since you'll get tired of the cheaper DAs very quickly.

Dellinger
12-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Zach,

Best advice I can give you is: tackle ONE topic at a time.

Don't try to go holistic in your approach right now. Divide it up. Read/ Study/ Learn about washing... 2 bucket method/ waterless/ rinseless/ media/ soaps & shampoos/ etc...

Then proceed on to decontamination... then polishing...etc.

You will certainly get overwhelmed trying to 'learn' about all things detailing by just clicking on whatever post seems interesting.
(Believe me, been there, done that, lol!)

Slow it down, dice it up, and eat bite size. It will make the learning process easier.

Also, Mike Phillips' book(s) will help tremendously as well... he breaks it down in proper order. Check them out here at AG.

Welcome!
-Gabe

AaronC
12-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Welcome!

zachwildcat
12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!! Going to be reading into these links but I see u put down two different polishes? Or that's just 1? Then u put a coat and a sealant? Then maybe a wax? I thought wax was the sealnt and coat or visa versa? That bit through me off. The washing itself I already have down, easiest part thankfully. I'm going to go ahead and make sure I totally understand the concept before waxing and sealnt now?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi Zach, welcome to AGO.

van185
12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Welcome to AGO. The site is full of great information. Ask plenty of questions.

GS2011
12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
:welcome:

ski2
12-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Welcome to AGO!!! As others have said take your time and address each of the detailing steps individually. Here's a ton of articles, videos and posts by Mike Phillips -- just pick and choose and I'm sure 90% of your questions will be answered--

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

If you keep asking very general questions you'll just get general answers and won't learn anything. Mike's writings will give you a good answer to most questions you have, then come back with some specific questions and you'll get more info.

Bill1234
12-05-2013, 06:59 PM
welcome to ago, prepare to learn alot, however, when detailing, take your time and be accurate when ever possible