PDA

View Full Version : Not the best detailer

stilltipping3
12-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi, just wanted to say I'm not the best detailer by far. But I try hard and put my all into it when I'm working. It's my passion and as I have 3 jobs I do it for that reason. Oh, and it pays well. I love all the people on here, even the meanies, because I am always learning from them. I started this on a whim. I did it for fun before some1 told me I should start a small side bizz. Now, I found a way to make extra $$ to pay for things in life that I like. I'm not ready to quit everything n be full time but maybe someday. If u like what u do n are good at it u can be happy. Look at your life and see what make u happy. Work on achieving that. It's a long road but one day u will get a road map n can pursue ur dreams. Keep up the details and know there r many dirty cars to clean. That's money all over the road. Just find out how to get ur piece. Live life and don't have regrets!! Time waits for no one!

HateSwirls
12-03-2013, 07:20 PM
You know as an engineer it pays my bills and love my job.
But I'll say this, I do think of buying a nice shop, 4 stalls, live video feed if a customer would want to see me working on their car from home or work, free wifi, educational videos on site on how to maintain their car and sell some really good products and tools.

There's this nice building I pass in front of daily, I do think how happy I'd be to own such a business.
For now I'll keep detailing on weekends :dblthumb2:

JSou
12-03-2013, 07:40 PM
But I'll say this, I do think of buying a nice shop, 4 stalls, live video feed if a customer would want to see me working on their car from home or work, free wifi, educational videos on site on how to maintain their car and sell some really good products and tools.

There's this nice building I pass in front of daily, I do think how happy I'd be to own such a business.

My dream as well. :dblthumb2:

Romans5.8
12-03-2013, 09:04 PM

I don't think I'd ever want to detail 'for a living', but; I always thought one of the smartest things a detailer could do would be to spend some time getting some professionally made brochures and putting together some nice training videos on care and maintenance. Make them feel like picking their car up from you is like buying a fine watch that they will cherish and care for much better than the old timex they dropped off!

WAXOFF
12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I was a professional detailer in the early stages of my 36 year automotive career. I'm almost 60 and I feel it the next day when I do a detail. However the good felling you get transforming a piece of crap into a thing of beauty makes it all worth it. I have a lot of respect for someone who has to do this day after day. I just do it a few weekends a month in the warm months. The one thing I do enjoy is when someone brings a car into my work and has a paint complaint and I tell them it's been repainted and they don't have a clue. They can't figure out how I know that. Nothing beats the trained eye. That's what all of us on here have is great vision. Without it our jobs would just be second rate instead of outstanding as we have seen thousands of time with the photos on here.

pikiki
12-03-2013, 10:15 PM
I am following this dream as well, used to own my detailing shop at the age of 21yrs old in PR but was too ignorant plus no real knowledge of what I was doing. Now after my military service I realize this could be the right time to pursue my dream of own a nice shop. Getting a service for any budget, and like HateSwirls there is this nice old body shop in the main Avenue I pass by almost everyday I started to claim it in the name of Jesus to be my shop. A long way to go but never to far way if you work hard and know where to get the resources to start. BTW I started without money only with a few bottles of wax, old MF and old polisher I owned for a long time. I been bless from some guys to help me out and of course AG site and forum from where I get my self reading everyday to learn new and different techniques.

The only thing that will stop you from reach your goal is your self!!!

cardaddy
12-03-2013, 10:16 PM

I hear ya'. My *wife* of all people has that 'dream'. :) There are several coin op's around here, and a couple of "Have an A1 Day" sort of places. Yet she has said over and over how she'd like to have a place that is somewhere between the coin-op and the full blown places. She dreams of 2 DEEP bays, deep enough for two cars each next to 3~4 self serve bays. Then having people there that'll show the owners how they can take it to the next level.

Never hurts to dream. ;)

I was a professional detailer in the early stages of my 36 year automotive career. I'm almost 60 and I feel it the next day when I do a detail. However the good felling you get transforming a piece of crap into a thing of beauty makes it all worth it. I have a lot of respect for someone who has to do this day after day. I just do it a few weekends a month in the warm months. The one thing I do enjoy is when someone brings a car into my work and has a paint complaint and I tell them it's been repainted and they don't have a clue. They can't figure out how I know that. Nothing beats the trained eye. That's what all of us on here have is great vision. Without it our jobs would just be second rate instead of outstanding as we have seen thousands of time with the photos on here.

And speaking of hurting to dream. With a chronic bad back, multiple bad discs et al, I picked up detailing as physical therapy. Regular working out is just out of the question. Moving at my own pace however is something that can, and does work to help with flexibility, and (at least while I'm at it) helps cut down on meds during the period I'm focused on the task at hand. ;)

The day after however..... now THAT is a different story all together! :( (I've been known to have to spend 2 (or more) days in bed for a single day busting hump trying to get a vehicle out before dark. :rolleyes:

WAXOFF
12-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I hear ya'. My *wife* of all people has that 'dream'. :) There are several coin op's around here, and a couple of "Have an A1 Day" sort of places. Yet she has said over and over how she'd like to have a place that is somewhere between the coin-op and the full blown places. She dreams of 2 DEEP bays, deep enough for two cars each next to 3~4 self serve bays. Then having people there that'll show the owners how they can take it to the next level.

Never hurts to dream. ;)

And speaking of hurting to dream. With a chronic bad back, multiple bad discs et al, I picked up detailing as physical therapy. Regular working out is just out of the question. Moving at my own pace however is something that can, and does work to help with flexibility, and (at least while I'm at it) helps cut down on meds during the period I'm focused on the task at hand. ;)

The day after however..... now THAT is a different story all together! :( (I've been known to have to spend 2 (or more) days in bed for a single day busting hump trying to get a vehicle out before dark. :rolleyes:
Yea but when you step back and look the pain is worth it. That's what being a real detailer is all about.