PDA

View Full Version : mobile unit: small pick up or station wagon

thebamboo23
12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Station wagons would be either a Volvo XC70/V70, ford focus, volkswagen passat, or any other type of wagon with a long cargo and seats are fully foldable. Early 2000 models

Pick up trucks would be something small like a Chevy S10, Toyota Tocoma, etc.. I would throw a camper on the bed and have everything enclosed. Early 2000 models as well

Now without going into details. . Ill probably have a 55 gal water tank, a generator, most of my products and tools will be in a fatmax tool box. The big items would be hahalogen light stand, vx5000, Aztec extractor, electric reel, and water hose. I left some stuff out but that's it for the mos part

Input?

Thanks!

pointillistic_practitioner
12-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Station wagons would be either a Volvo XC70/V70, ford focus, volkswagen passat, or any other type of wagon with a long cargo and seats are fully foldable. Early 2000 models

Pick up trucks would be something small like a Chevy S10, Toyota Tocoma, etc.. I would throw a camper on the bed and have everything enclosed. Early 2000 models as well

Now without going into details. . Ill probably have a 55 gal water tank, a generator, most of my products and tools will be in a fatmax tool box. The big items would be hahalogen light stand, vx5000, Aztec extractor, electric reel, and water hose. I left some stuff out but that's it for the mos part

Input?

Thanks!

I don't do mobile detailing because I drive a 323is coupe and only detail on the side... hehe. that being said if I was in your position I'd probably go for the Tacoma...for the following reasons:

1) Work vehicles need to get the job done, and get it done reliably. The last thing you want is a volvo/vw that will give you problems to the point where it will prevent you from doing jobs. Toyota is (generally) synonomous with reliability.

2) Yes, you'll probably spend more on gas regularly with the tacoma...that's definitely something to consider. but you'll gain more cargo space. I find that us detailers usually tend to accumulate more and more supplies and upgrade to newer and better (sometiems bigger) equipment... In two years you might say oh now I need a powerwasher or a better compressor, or bigger water tank, or maybe you'll find a new system where you use 3 different microfiber towels to clean windows instead of 2 and then you need more storage...and so on. With the wagons, if you're modifying them theyll be hard to re-sell, and you'll have to do it all over in a bigger car

3) Having more space means you have more wiggle room...what if you need to haul groceries home after a detail? What if you need to pack away your supplies quickly to get to another detail or beat rush hour or whatever else...the wagons will be a tighter fit...

Have you checked out the ford ranger/mazda b series/chevy colorado? I've heard the colorados are very unreliable but the rangers/b series are not supposed to be too bad...theyd prob give you more space than a wagon and better fuel economy than the tacoma. Just a thought.

pointillistic_practitioner
12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Another thought...I know someone who drives a kia soul...it has bad blind spots and the styling isnt for some, but it has lots of storage headroom, great gas mileage, and seats fold flat. The Chevy HHR also had a cargo van version I think...then theres the ford transit connect too.

Romans5.8
12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
One thought when you acquire whatever you do; I think it being in really good shape is paramount. I think if someone pulled up to detail my car in a truck or station wagon with rust, fading clearcoat, scratches, etc; I'd be less eager to hire them again.

I don't think it matters if it's old; but I do think that having your vehicle looking excellent is important; IMHO!

If you had a logo on the doors; honestly, having an older vehicle could work in your favor. It's not every day you see a polished, excellently maintained early 2000's Focus or S10. When they see your logo, they are more inclined to think you can do the same to THEIR car!

(Not saying it needs to be clean when you by it; but it should be free of major defects IMO).

Those S10's were bulletproof trucks. So were the Ford Rangers. But I think the wagon will actually give you a little more room overall, and has the advantage of keeping the products you have stored warm in the winter and cool in the summer during transit (instead of baking inside the very hot camper shell in the summer and freezing in the winter!)

VP Mark
12-03-2013, 09:12 PM
When I'm not using my 6x12 trailer I use my Dodge Ram 1500 single cab short bed and it has tons of room. I tote a 55 gallon water tank and all the other usual suspects. I'm actually considering selling the trailer eventually and just getting a camper top for the truck. The only thing that is stopping me is the fact that the trailer is fully wrapped and makes for eye popping advertisement.

thebamboo23
12-03-2013, 09:56 PM
thanks for the input guys. your opinions are greatly appreciated :D

pls chime in any opinions you guys have!

thebamboo23
12-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Okay, heres another delay: To go small or big?

2002 Chevy S10 Cars for Sale: 2002 Chevrolet S10 Pickup 2WD Extended Cab in Houston, TX 77074: Truck Details - 354139624 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77067&endYear=2005&showcaseOwnerId=79692&startYear=1981&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=7000&bodyStyleCodes=TRUCKS&listingId=354139624&listingIndex=20&Log=0)

2002 Dodge Dakota Cars for Sale: 2002 Dodge Dakota 2WD Quad Cab Sport in Houston, TX 77020: Truck Details - 341849232 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77067&endYear=2005&makeCode2=CHEV&showcaseOwnerId=29368730&startYear=1981&makeCode1=DODGE&searchRadius=50&maxPrice=7000&bodyStyleCodes=TRUCKS&mmt=%5BCHEV%5B%5D%5B%5DDODGE%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=341849232&listingIndex=14&Log=0)

I am aiming towards the S10 as this is the beginning stages of development and would be sufficient for the first year or so. As well as better mpg, automatic, and its yellow :buffing:

Thoughts? Feed back please

tmurph01
12-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Only bad thing about the S10 is it is a stepside bed,.. so you will lose some overall bed size for hauling stuff. Just throwing that out there.

jwollam
12-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe as my daily driver / weekend detail rig.
Their is enough room to hold my pressure washer, full size rigid blower shop vac, 50 ft electrical cord, 50 ft. hose, 3 5 gal buckets, 5 bags (polishers, pads, microfibers, interior bag, exterior bag). Plus other misc things. You can find a Santa Fe for a few thousand used, and if taken care of they run forever. Mine has 226k on the clock and runs like a top!
Fuel mileage isn't the greatest, but being able to take everything with me, and then lock it all up and know it will be safe is worth the decrease in fuel mileage. Plus I think it's a nice looking rig :)

jwollam
12-04-2013, 12:15 AM
This is my rig:
http://s22.postimg.org/hcnigmerl/Santa_Fe.jpg
http://s16.postimg.org/qq4i5etcl/Santa_Fe_Rear.jpg

thebamboo23
12-04-2013, 12:16 AM
@tmurph01 thanks for the input fellas. the step side is a negative, but it is an extended bed. that makes up for it

@jwollam i currently have a matrix im working out of but its current condition is not up to par with what it should be. which is why im opting out to a new vehicle
Cars for Sale: 2001 Chevrolet S10 Pickup 2WD Regular Cab in Houston, TX 77034: Truck Details - 358700301 - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=77067&endYear=2005&showcaseOwnerId=595979&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CHEV&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=7000&bodyStyleCodes=TRUCKS&mmt=%5BCHEV%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=358700301&listingIndex=3&Log=0)

Well this one is very basic, but will do the job. But looks dull and boring lol

AaronC
12-04-2013, 02:25 AM
great info...it would also help to post pics with your tools inside the suv/truck to give us an idea of how they look.