PDA

View Full Version : chemicals and cold

Pages : [1] 2

House of Wax
12-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Is there a certain temperature that once it falls below you guys bring your chemicals inside? My garage is insulated but does not have full time heat and I've been debating whether or not to bring my stuff inside. I'd rather not empty out my detailing cabinet, but I don't want to ruin anything either

zmcgovern45
12-03-2013, 08:50 AM
I bring all of my chemicals inside once the outside temps are below 50 on a regular basis.

All of my waxes, sealants, and coatings are kept inside no matter what.

Andr3wilson
12-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Chemicals can get cold no problem. It's like refrigeration, helps keep them stable. I keep all my wax and sealants in a fridge. Cold will not harm anything. Heat will.

dcjredline
12-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Weve had this discussion ALOT and every time people always say they bring their stuff in during the winter months.

Search feature would have been helpful to you here.

wdmaccord
12-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I bring all of my chemicals inside once the outside temps are below 50 on a regular basis.

All of my waxes, sealants, and coatings are kept inside no matter what.

+1^^

The only thing I leave outside spring through fall are soaps and cleaners like APC. Polishes, waxes, sealants, etc are stored inside year round. Even if I put heat in my garage, I would probably still do it the same way since I would probably only heat enough to keep the garage between 40-50.

CowboyTruckn
12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have always left mine in the garage with no adverse reactions. Remember these things will get shipped new sometimes cross country in below freezing temps with no heat.

KS_Detailing
12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
It stays between 50-65ish in my garage, so I think I'll be okay this winter. It feels a bit chilly but I have put up 2 thermometers on opposite sides of the garage. The garage is built into the ground and is about 90% underground. Its not heated but the pipes run through it so if the heat is on its more around 60-65, without its more 50-55ish. I assume as long as its nowhere near freezing I should be okay? Right now its at 58 and its about 40 outside today :( I'm going to try moving some stuff into the basement soon, I just have to clean some stuff out since I have a fairly large detailing arsenal:D

aim4squirrels
12-03-2013, 11:39 AM
If you need to use them, keep them in the house as they'll be easier to pour/squirt/spread. If not, leave them outside.

My only caveat would be in extreme cold with water based products.

We're talking about car chemicals here, not people, pets, or plants.

FUNX650
12-03-2013, 11:40 AM
IMHO:
Any product, whether it's detailing related or not; and, that is considered
to be water-based: Should always be kept from freezing.

Slushy-product stories abound on many forums.

:)

Bob

PiPUK
12-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Chemicals can get cold no problem. It's like refrigeration, helps keep them stable. I keep all my wax and sealants in a fridge. Cold will not harm anything. Heat will.

Unfortunately, this is inaccurate.

Most products are formulated to be stable in and around normal room temperature. When formulated, a product will be subject to stability testing to ensure it is OK within normal operating temperatures. Whilst some products will be subject to freeze/thaw testing, many will not and many more will fail these tests (meaning that they will not recover properly from a freeze/thaw process).

In practice, you just should never let a liquid product freeze, if you can avoid it. Normal operating temperatures would be something like 4C-35C. If you store outside of this range, you risk damaging the product unless it specifies otherwise.

Andr3wilson
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, this is inaccurate.

Most products are formulated to be stable in and around normal room temperature. When formulated, a product will be subject to stability testing to ensure it is OK within normal operating temperatures. Whilst some products will be subject to freeze/thaw testing, many will not and many more will fail these tests (meaning that they will not recover properly from a freeze/thaw process).

In practice, you just should never let a liquid product freeze, if you can avoid it. Normal operating temperatures would be something like 4C-35C. If you store outside of this range, you risk damaging the product unless it specifies otherwise.

Well all my stuff froze to -57C and works just dandy still. Hmm :dunno:

PiPUK
12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Well all my stuff froze to -57C and works just dandy still. Hmm :dunno:

How on earth (and why!) are you going that low?

Many products will recover but, at sub zero temps, most water based products will freeze and it really is just a gamble whether the various ingredients dissolve properly when it melts.

Of course you can do what you want but no manufacturer will warranty their products to survive the above conditions.

1953hogan
12-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Not sure what the correct answer is but it makes sense to me to keep everything inside the house once heating season begins.

weekendwarrior
12-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Humidity would be worse that slightly cold. See ... well basically everything on earth.

wdmaccord
12-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Humidity would be worse that slightly cold. See ... well basically everything on earth.

This is another reason I keep my wax/sealant/polishes etc. in the house year round. We get a lot of humidity here.