PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what polish/compound to buy.

jkornis1
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
I am in the process of making up a large oder for the 4th sale.($500+ already:awesome: ) I need some new polish and don't know what to get. I have xmt360 already for quick work on the average car. I am wanting something a little nicer for a true show finish. I have been looking at the menzerna line but it confuses me a bit. I am needing something for light/fine swirls and then a finishing polish/glaze. I usualy top with WGPS and sig II or souveran.

HELP ME PLEASE! I have been staring at this site for 1-1/2 days now and my brain hurts. :confused: Is there a button I can click that will send me 1 of everything AG sells?Im the MAN

D
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
If you top with WGPS, then you dont want to put a glaze underneath it. A light swirl remover should finish off fine, not needing a finishing polish or glaze. The glaze is an optional step.

What machine are you using?

Jimmie
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Since you're getting XMT 360 and Pinnacle waxes just add some more of the XMT line until you fill it , for example, XMT 2; XMT Glaze w/carnauba this time others later. Then start your collection of another line of polishes like Optimum or Menzerna.

greg'sgoat
06-27-2007, 11:44 AM
The XMT line up is nice. The super soft clear on our cars usually allowes Optimum polish to finish down real nice. Optimum compound is also good for a little heavier swirling (and with the right pad will finish down fine). The Menz line is confusing. But I will help (I am making the GTO specific for out soft clear)-106FF should finish down fairly well, top that with 87MC for a final gloss, and it will look awsome. It is a little harder to work with than OPT stuff. I have both Menz and OPT lines, and will prob stick with OPT on the GTO and the Menz on others cars (with harder clear), but I will take the 87MC with a polishing pad to add that 5.0 gloss factor.

Oh, and if you don't have it already, the Wolfgang glaze and the DGPS look absolutly sick with the PBM.

bambo2888
06-27-2007, 11:47 AM
If you top with WGPS, then you dont want to put a glaze underneath it. A light swirl remover should finish off fine, not needing a finishing polish or glaze. The glaze is an optional step.

What machine are you using?

Why wouldn't you WANT to? Glazes are often overlooked but effectively fill in minor imperfections that were not removed. I feel they add a lot to a finish.

Nice one to consider is WG Finishing Glaze, it has no carnauba so you don't need to worry about bonding issues.

As for the polishes, Menzerna is an awesome and inexpensive line. Closer to home, however, I LOVE Pinnacle's Twins (Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish). I have had nothing but awesome results with these two.

Also, consider XMT's highly customizable line.

budman3
06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Why wouldn't you WANT to? Glazes are often overlooked but effectively fill in minor imperfections that were not removed. I feel they add a lot to a finish.

Nice one to consider is WG Finishing Glaze, it has no carnauba so you don't need to worry about bonding issues.

A lot of glaxes contain a lot of fillers that fill in swirls. Since they fill in swirls, they sit on the paint which takes away paint for a sealant to bond to. For optimal durability of a sealant you should do an alcohol wipedown before applying 2 coats for even coverage.

Back on topic. XMT, Poorboy's SSRs, Optimum or Menzerna will work. I find that Optimum and Menzerna are better suited for a rotary though...

jkornis1
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
As far as machine goes, I am using a borrowed PC. I am going to purchase the UD machine for myself.

Wolfgang Glaze is already in my cart.

On XMT, is #1 worth buying or can you get away finishing up with #2?

I also decided to add the nattys red, to my arsenal. Optimum polish sounds like a good inexpensive one also.

thanks for all the input!

budman3
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
XMT2 will be fine. XMT1 isn't strong at all, XMT2 finishes down nicely.

Tex Star Detail
06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm $ure AG would love to $end you one of everything. you got the $$$$, they got the packing peanuts ready!

greg'sgoat
06-27-2007, 04:43 PM
OPT and XMT 2 will both finish down nice. Both can be used on a PC or UDM.

ScottB
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Menzerna FP, SIP, and Nano polishes would be first on my list.