PDA

View Full Version : Temp Range

tommythecat
12-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Hope everyone had a happy holiday and enjoyed some time off with friends and family.

I have a question about the temperature range for using DP Prep Polish, DP Paint Coating, and applying BFWD paint sealant. It will be ~50 today and tomorrow here in the Chicago area and I am wondering if that is warm enough.

I know Mike recommends between 60 and 90 degrees for most products. I am mostly wondering if I will be wasting my time by trying to get this done over the next 2 days.

Thanks!!

lyodbraun
12-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Try it and see how it holds up and works.. Maybe do it In The sun or let the car warm up from the sun before applying ?

kevincwelch
12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
If the humidity is low, I think it will flash quickly. But that's not the only consideration. A temperature range may influence how the substance bonds to the surface and together.

Mike Phillips
12-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Because we all can't work in perfect environments, for example I remember buffing out and waxing an Audi Quattro in an open garage while it was snowing outside.

Here's a good general rule of thumb...

Anytime you have to work in colder or hotter temperatures than preferred, reduce the size of your work area. This includes all procedures.

Think smaller...

Car looked like this one, it was brand new in 2000.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Audi_Quattro.jpg

Sometimes, probably most of the time, I can't remember all the car's I've buffed out over the years.

:)

Desertnate
12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Try it and see how it holds up and works.. Maybe do it In The sun or let the car warm up from the sun before applying ?

This would be my advice. I did something similar with two of my cars this past weekend.

After washing, I was hitting them with spray wax and it just wasn't going on well. Temps were in the low 50's. I parked both in the sun for a few minutes and after the surface of the car warmed up, everything went fine. Both of the vehicles are dark in color, so it didn't take long at all.

kevincwelch
12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
I also added a propane heater to my garage. It has made the working conditions nicer for sure. I keep the garage door open for ventilation. It keeps the garage in the 60s. 80s if I close the garage door....

tommythecat
12-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. I ended up not being able to get started yesterday. I am really kicking myself for passing on a sweet deal for a torpedo heater with a 6 gallon propane tank for $100.