PDA

View Full Version : Leather scent

tnbug4me
06-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I need to order a leather cleaner and condtioner. My car seats are almost new, so far no stains.
Which products has the scent of real leather?
Thanks.

bambo2888
06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
hands down, pinnacle leather conditioner is exactly what you are looking for. just take my word for it, take the $30 dive, and get it. you wont be disappointed.

tnbug4me
06-27-2007, 07:33 AM
hands down, pinnacle leather conditioner is exactly what you are looking for. just take my word for it, take the $30 dive, and get it. you wont be disappointed.

Would it be best to use the Pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner before applying the conditioner?

bambo2888
06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Would it be best to use the Pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner before applying the conditioner?

well, you said it wasnt really dirty, but it would definitely be good to get the surface cleaned and prepared to take in the condition.

likewise, because the product is water based with lanolin in it, apply the condition with a bare hand and massage it into the leather and wipe the residue of which wasn't absorbed away with a clean microfiber. pretty much, youre waxing your seats.

Anthony Orosco
06-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I need to order a leather cleaner and condtioner. My car seats are almost new, so far no stains.
Thanks.

Leather has no scent.....well at least not what you think is leather smell. New car smell is not what many people associate with leather smell. That new car smell isn't great either because basically it's vapors from evaporating adhesives, foam, plastics and rubber filling up the interior of the car. This is that greasy stuff that smears up your windows on the inside.

I've been to a tannery where they make leather items and it has no "leather smell". Let me clarify that a bit...leather has a smell BUT it's not what most people think it is.

Lastly, don't use lanolin on auto leather as it's an oil that migrates to the top of the leather and it does no good on coated leathers.

Anthony

tnbug4me
06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
well, you said it wasnt really dirty, but it would definitely be good to get the surface cleaned and prepared to take in the condition.

likewise, because the product is water based with lanolin in it, apply the condition with a bare hand and massage it into the leather and wipe the residue of which wasn't absorbed away with a clean microfiber. pretty much, youre waxing your seats.

It's not dirty now, but i know if i don't use something it will be.
Thanks for the information on how to apply.

tnbug4me
06-27-2007, 08:15 AM
[quote=Anthony Orosco]Leather has no scent.....well at least not what you think is leather smell. New car smell is not what many people associate with leather smell. That new car smell isn't great either because basically it's vapors from evaporating adhesives, foam, plastics and rubber filling up the interior of the car. This is that greasy stuff that smears up your windows on the inside.

I've been to a tannery where they make leather items and it has no "leather smell".

Wow!
I can walk in Wilson's leather store and smell the scent right away.

bambo2888
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Leather has no scent.....well at least not what you think is leather smell. New car smell is not what many people associate with leather smell. That new car smell isn't great either because basically it's vapors from evaporating adhesives, foam, plastics and rubber filling up the interior of the car. This is that greasy stuff that smears up your windows on the inside.
I've been to a tannery where they make leather items and it has no "leather smell".

that's interesting, because the guys at Bass Leather think differently... as does the smell of their store...

TOGWT
06-27-2007, 08:47 AM
As a detailer I totally agree with Anthony... As a Chemical Engineer I can assure you that the 'leather smell' is a chemical additive (just like the vanilla smell of a wax candle)

As a writer I could not begin to describe the leather smell that emits from a tannery, it's even worse than a paper mill (probably one of the most obnoxious smells there are

trlblazer3
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
The Wolfgang line (cleaner and protectant) is also very good. These are my go-to products for leather, and you can save a little bit of money compared to the Pinnacle line.

supercharged
06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks.
Pinnacle or Wolfgang.

Anthony Orosco
06-30-2007, 12:23 AM
In leather stores where they sell furniture and clothes most likely what you're smelling is the product (s) used in the final process of finishing the leather. In the tannery process pretty much everything is stripped from the leather and so it needs to be artificially replaced.

There is an entire school dedicated to leather conservation and processing, I think the Britsh School of Leather is the name, and it's an art form for sure, a dying one at that.

If you want a true and natural leather smell then your car would smell like a farm :)

Anthony

ScottB
06-30-2007, 06:02 AM
If you want a true and natural leather smell then your car would smell like a farm :)

Anthony

And that my friend could be quite nasty :p