PDA

View Full Version : Steam Car Wash (exterior) in Houston TX

Pages : [1] 2

mimarsinan31
12-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Does anybody wash cars with a steamer here in Houston TX area? I have a few questions about which equipment they use, if they are happy with it, and if there's a location I can buy the equipment in Houston...or at least somewhere in Texas.

I really would like to meet (if possible, if not, that's cool) and watch how good it actually cleans....for exterior, not only interior. I don't want to rely on a salesperson's promises since usually the equipments are really expensive. Any steamer or brand would be ok

Thanks a lot

Sam

FPEvo
12-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Well if you're looking to do exteriors, depending on the scope you may want a steamer with continuous fill. Now if you're talking about doing door handles, grills, lug nuts, the VX-5000 should be fine.

Anything stuck on the exterior will need some light scrubbing. Also if you are on painted surfaces you obviously want to make sure you don't get the surface too hot.

I do have to admit I rarely use it on exteriors other than the occasional door handles and other hard to reach and clean areas.

KS_Detailing
12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
If you google "optima steamer" you will find a commercial size steamer that is meant to steam the entire exterior. I first saw it on a video with Jay Leno and then actually found a flyer on my car with a company that uses the machine so I did some research. Its not cheap, somewhere in the 5-7K range! I wouldn't steam an entire exterior with a VX5000. It would be too time consuming and also might require multiple refills of water. I dont know how I feel about steaming an exterior. In some ways I see the eco friendly and very light water usage for detailing. On other hand, I wonder in the steaming process you are putting swirls and scratches into the paint by wiping the dirt off?

Also in every video I have every watched they always use lightly dusted cars or fairly clean cars. I haven't seen a video yet with a very dirty exterior.

I hope its okay to post video:

Detail Your Car - With Steam! - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube

TopThatDetail
12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
I have the vc4000c and allegedly you can wash your car with the steam/water .. I have not tried it

mimarsinan31
12-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Thank you Golf and Evo

Yes I saw the Optima...they are pricey and heavy. If I find something less expensive I'll buy it, Optima is still an option though, since VX5000 seems a little too tiny for a continuous job.

Optimas have an adjustable moisture setting, you can increase the water usage and make it a little more "wet wash" instead of dry steam. May work or may not, I don't know.

When it comes to scratching the surface, I've seen videos people applying rinseless/waterless products as a lubricant before the steam washing. I do have the same concerns about very dirty cars and how a steam wash would handle that

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Dupray Tosca. Great warranty and great machine. $999 shipped.

mimarsinan31
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Dupray Tosca. Great warranty and great machine. $999 shipped.

Can you wash 15-20 cars in a day? Exterior and interior

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Can you wash 15-20 cars in a day? Exterior and interior

Sure why not? You'd have to refill it obviously.

A steam cleaner is best used in the cracks and crevices, door jams, gas cap, etc on the exterior...

two bucket or rinse less wash the rest of the car. It's faster and more efficient.

215Detailing
12-12-2013, 09:08 AM
If you google "optima steamer" you will find a commercial size steamer that is meant to steam the entire exterior. I first saw it on a video with Jay Leno and then actually found a flyer on my car with a company that uses the machine so I did some research. Its not cheap, somewhere in the 5-7K range! I wouldn't steam an entire exterior with a VX5000. It would be too time consuming and also might require multiple refills of water. I dont know how I feel about steaming an exterior. In some ways I see the eco friendly and very light water usage for detailing. On other hand, I wonder in the steaming process you are putting swirls and scratches into the paint by wiping the dirt off?

Also in every video I have every watched they always use lightly dusted cars or fairly clean cars. I haven't seen a video yet with a very dirty exterior.

Detail Your Car - With Steam! - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXmxRjjAw8)

This is by far online the DIRTIEST VEHICLE I have seen EXTERIOR STEAMED CLEANED
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-LgTVSAKI]Full Steam Antofagasta. Demostración de Optima Steamer en camioneta con barro ya seco. FULL HD - YouTube[/video]

thebamboo23
12-12-2013, 06:24 PM
as far as i know, there is no one in Houston who opts out for steam to wash cars.

is there a reason you wanna choose steam over waterless or rinsless washing?

or is this a new business you want to start?

215Detailing
12-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Detail Your Car - With Steam! - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXmxRjjAw8)

not sure if VX5000 or not
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0BskQ_MbA]AUTO DETAIL (PT-1) - DRY CARWASH using a Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner - AUTO DETAIL Car Wash - YouTube[/video]

KS_Detailing
12-12-2013, 08:01 PM
it looks like it works but I'm wondering if when wiping off the dirt you would put swirls into the clear coat.

Deviant Detail
12-12-2013, 09:30 PM
not sure if VX5000 or not
AUTO DETAIL (PT-1) - DRY CARWASH using a Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner - AUTO DETAIL Car Wash - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0BskQ_MbA)
I would never do this. The temperature variance between the steam and panels (especially the glass) is too great.

freddie46
12-12-2013, 10:29 PM
From what I am reading, it's pricey and what do you gain over a hand wash? If it's water usage then a rinseless wash with the 2 bucket system uses very little water and is certainly more cost effective. I would be concerned steaming auto paint. Definitely steam the wheels, trim, interior, etc.

mimarsinan31
12-13-2013, 03:22 AM
Thanks everybody for their input.

The main reason why I'm looking into steam clean rather than rinseless or two bucket is because of the city regulations here in Houston. They don't like the water run-off to the storm system. Also, it seems like with a steamer you can clean faster, interior and exterior.

I actually met a guy in Woodlands TX and saw the Optima with my own eyes. It is pricey but it doesn't scratch the car and is safe for the paint. It looks more professional versus the other steamers, which look like a "70's cheezy space movie equipment". I don't care about the looks but I am guessing it will make a difference for the customers. But it is really not VERY mobile. It is huge, heavy and bulky. Plus you obviously need a generator too.

I haven't made a decision yet but I'm also looking into therma-kleen, Vapor chief....I was researching NB2300 too but they stopped the production of that model. Unlike the Optima these models still give more mobility within a multi-storey parking garage. Even with a generator.

Do you guys have any input about the other steamers such as therma-kleen, Vapor chief, or any other steamer that can wash also the exterior of the car?

Thanks a lot in advance