PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Looking for DA Product Advice for DD

HomerGuy
12-02-2013, 04:27 PM
I am looking for some help from the experts.

I have two vehicles that I maintain:
Vehicle #1 is a one month old Red Explorer.
Vehicle #2 is a one year old Silver F150. This one lives outside 24x7.

Both are daily drivers. They also see some dirt roads (F-150 in particular). I am not a fanatic, just looking to keep them looking nice.

I am a beginner and my goal so far have keeping them properly washed. I think I have been doing a good job of that so far but would like to do more to protect my finish.

I recently picked up a Griots DA from an Amazon deal. I also picked up the Black Diamond Paint Sealant, Glass Sealant, and Collinite 845 from AG's Black Friday sales. Not sure if all of these items even "fit" together as a good system, but with too much excitement and too little time to research that's what I ended up with. I'm sure some of you can relate :)

The paint on both vehicles is in good condition, and I want to slowly dip my toes into the DA pool. Although everything I have read says that DAs are almost idiot proof, I am still nervous and want to start off with something simple.

Based upon the products that I have, and my desire to start safe & simple, can you recommend products and pads to fill in the gaps?

Here is what I am thinking, let me know if this is stupid:
1. Wash / Dry / Clay
2. Some sort of light Polish applied by DA? DG 501? What pads?
3. Black Diamond Paint Sealant
4. Collinite 845?

Mike Phillips
12-02-2013, 04:43 PM
2. Some sort of light Polish applied by DA? DG 501? What pads?

Everything you listed looks good. For the above I'd recommend a very good quality medium cut to fine cut polish.

In the last year on the forum I find myself typing the blow quite often when making recommendations for an abrasive polish to remove below surface paint defects out of scratch-sensitive clearcoat paints.

Don't skimp on abrasive technology

By this I mean, there are a lot of really good and really great polishes on the market today and this is the product that determines the end results.

A good polish will remove defects without leaving any new defects in their place. It is the abrasives in either a compound or a polish that are touching the paint and either working their magic or not.

Good technique is vitally important as are clean buffing pads and using the right pad for the job. But good abrasive technology trumps technique and everything else. So don't skimp on your choice of polish.

The below list isn't conclusive as we carry a lot of great polishes and I'm sure others will chime in but here's some brands that offer great abrasive technology.

Pinnacle - How can anyone argue with Big Daddy Don Garlits?
Optimum
Sonax
Menzerna
Wolfgang
Meguiar's
Rupes

Just about any medium cut to fine cut polishes from the above I've showcased here at our garage on lots of great cars including some daily drivers.

Pictures from Autogeek's Car of the Week (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/)

On page 4 of this thread here's a picture of Don Garlits handing the owner of the below 1970 Cuda a trophy about 2' tall.

1970 440 Cuda - Part 2 - Show Car Prep (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/72418-1970-440-cuda-part-2-show-car-prep.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1579/Don_Garlits_Tommy_First_Place_Trophy.jpg

You don't have to drive a 1970 440 Cuda to get these kinds of results.... just good abrasive technology...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2136/1970_440_Cuda_020.jpg

You can apply the Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant to the paint after polishing.

:)

GenesisCoupe
12-02-2013, 05:09 PM
No need to dry and then clay. You can clay right after rinsing, the water left over will be used as an additional lubricant to whatever you choose the lubricant to be. If you'd like to remove small scratches or swirls I recommend a white polishing bad, or even a light pink pad. Orange seems to be the average pad for light to medium vehicles. Yellow is a harsh pad and I only used it a select number of times for heavy defects.

spitshine1
12-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Sounds like you are on it. I recommend the two bucket system when washing. Wash during the winter for sure every week whether it rains ,snows ect. The key is keeping the paint clean. You don't have to wash the cars up to two weeks but after that it gets really tough on the paint. I use a spray wax after washing the cars it really helps extend the protection. Griots makes a good wax so does Chemical Guys. I have a car that sits outside also I have found the Collinte Fleetwax very good, make sure you apply thin and wipe off one section at a time. I made the mistake of letting it dry. Its really tough to get off the paint. I ended up using spray detailer to help remove the wax off the pain.